• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kinnan ready to join

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Seriously.  Without me googling a bunch of manatee highlights and poring over film, someone break down exactly what is the hurricane attack in a short paragraph.  Spread passing attack?  Triple Option?  Spread zone read heavy offense?  What?  

It's just a name takeoff on their school   "Manatee Hurricanes".

Haven't you heard of our offense, "The Sleeping Bull Attack" ?

I thought it was just "The Ferdinand"

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

Seriously.  Without me googling a bunch of manatee highlights and poring over film, someone break down exactly what is the hurricane attack in a short paragraph.  Spread passing attack?  Triple Option?  Spread zone read heavy offense?  What?  

Kinnan has actually run all of those offenses in his time, but his latest play-calling has been very Oregon-and-Auburn-ish.  There is a lot of read options, screens, QB runs, jet motion, perimeter passing, shovel pass, and very good play-action designs.  It's an up-tempo attack with an occasional huddle.

There is a good balance between passing and running, but will slightly lean towards running the ball to set up big passes (will probably be a heavy running attack given the USF QB situation).  He uses a lot of medium range passes to sidelines (8-15 yards downfield) and screens to open up the passing game.  To top it off, he'll call a couple play-action passes that will get WRs wide open.

Passing:  

Running:  

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

slick, your point on sprague being that he was given enough time to build and lasted there 25 years?

You could say that. But then again, they don't have nearly the pressure at most high schools to succeed rather quickly that they do in college. Sprague actually coached the golf team to a championship in the 90s, lol. I kind of think of high school as the way football used to be before ESPN screwed it up with money.

Sprague never won a state championship but I think he got to the game a couple times. His replacement is an alumni of Riverview who played safety in the NFL and I think for the Gators.

State titles are a tough deal when your road goes through Manatee and Lakeland year after year.  Even if you get past those then you have Aquinas or one of the other Miami schools waiting at the other end.

Sprague did pretty good.

District 8 Class 6A

District: 88, 89, 90, 91, 94, 95, 96, 99, 01, 07, 08.......................... Semi-Final: 88, 90

District Runner Up: 97, 00, 02, 04, 06........................................... State-Finalist: 88, 90

Regional: 88, 90, 91, 93, 94, 04

State Playoff: 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 06, 07, 08

Sectional: 88, 90, 91, 94, 04

Coach Sprague: Record 209 W - L 103

FHSAA 6 –A Coach of the Year: '94 '96 2011 NFL HS Coach of the Year

Nike Coach of the Year: 96

NFL High School Coach of the Year Finalist: 07

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

This is the story of the hurricane

The formation Willie hopes will win him games

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

This is the story of the hurricane

The formation Willie hopes will win him games

Somewhere Bob Dylan just LOL'd

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

Good or bad it looks as though Kinnan wil probably be joining the staff shortly and will bring his "Hurricane attack" with him.

It can't get much worse so maybe Kinnan as a senior mentor that he respects is what CWT needs. What worries me is

that CWT is will be doing on the job training. I have a tiny smidgen of hope, time will tell.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20141219/ARCHIVES/412191039/-1/search10?Title=Kinnan-on-tap-to-aid-Bulls-offense

http://preps.heraldtribune.com/2014/12/18/kinnan-tap-join-taggart-usf/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"

Kinnan on tap to join Taggart at USF

By Doug Fernandes , Herald-Tribune

/ Thursday, December 18, 2014

SARASOTA

Joe Kinnan won’t be the next offensive coordinator of the South Florida Bulls.

But after meeting Thursday with head football coach Willie Taggart and USF athletic director Mark Harlan, Kinnan said he may join Taggart’s staff in some offensive capacity.

“The position that they are looking at doesn’t exist right now,†the former Manatee High head coach said. “It will be more of a consultant. I don’t even know what they’ll call it.â€

Taggart, who will be the Bulls’ offensive coordinator, is in the process of rounding out his staff."

Kinnan said both parties will speak again after the holidays. If hired, the 69-year-old probably would assist from the coach’s box on game days.

“Anything would be premature,†he said, “and I would certainly not want to say that I’m going there or anything at this time.â€

Kinnan doesn’t feel USF would be his final chance to return to coaching.

“I’ve had other opportunities,†he said, “but this is something that really intrigues me and excites me and it’s something I feel I can bring a lot of value to the program.â€

Taggart plans to run an offense similar to Kinnan’s Hurricane attack.

“He wants to open it up,†he said. “He wants to go fast and wants to run more option and stuff like that.â€

“I talked to them and there is a possibility. It is a process. We’ll see what happens.â€

What kind of offense is a "hurricane attack"? Run heavy? Pass heavy?

It blows

Works pretty well for Auburn and did for Tom Osborne as well.

It blows... defenses minds...

I was try'in ta be funny...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

Hurricane , blows - I got it. 

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

It's just a name takeoff on their school   "Manatee Hurricanes".

Haven't you heard of our offense, "The Sleeping Bull Attack" ?

I thought it was just "The Ferdinand"

I didn't know the story....but LOL   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Ferdinand

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Haha. Thought all kids read that story in elementary school.