• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF QB in a spread offense - one person's musings

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

That's why I said the word "seems" when I talked about how Taggart feels about Bench. 

Spread means a lot of things.  I clarified in a later post I think we should run a read option. 

Why can't we use Swanson lined up in the backfield as a running back, or even line him up in the slot? 

spread is a formation . it means to stretch the field horizontally usually with receivers. I guess you could use FBs instead.

read option is not a formation. it's a play.

Got it.  Out of the spread.  Hopefully you get what I'm saying.  I think I'm pretty familiar with what the spread is, and I apologize if I made you think otherwise. 

Your mom's pretty familiar with the spread.

Zing!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

That's why I said the word "seems" when I talked about how Taggart feels about Bench. 

Spread means a lot of things.  I clarified in a later post I think we should run a read option. 

Why can't we use Swanson lined up in the backfield as a running back, or even line him up in the slot? 

spread is a formation . it means to stretch the field horizontally usually with receivers. I guess you could use FBs instead.

Got it.  Out of the spread.  Hopefully you get what I'm saying.  I think I'm pretty familiar with what the spread is, and I apologize if I made you think otherwise. 

Zing!

She'd have to be or I wouldn't be here.

Zing!

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Zing!

She'd have to be or I wouldn't be here.

Zing!

tumblr_lrkscaOdl31qfowwx.gif

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I really don't want Kinnan to be OC but maybe because Taggart has so much respect for him he would let him have complete control over the offense. If Taggart declares himself OC and brings in Kinnan as an offensive assistant that would mean we should save some money and be able to commit more to a good defensive hire, but I'm still not a fan of the move.  Also, the article is a bit disingenuous as Malzahn has publicly admitted that the core elements of his offense is the Delaware Wing T.  Gus is flexible and does add in a ton of elements from a ton of sources but the article makes it sound like Kinnan is a major contributor to Malzahn's offense which is not exactly accurate....

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Joey Knight just tweeted out another article about Joe Kinnan, Manatee's former head coach, and this time it talks about his offensive philosophy. Apparently Malzahn mirrored his offense around Kinnan's and made some tweaks. So IF Kinnan were to come to USF it might not be completely out of the question that we see an offense run similarly to what Auburn is currently running.

In which case as mentioned before, Swanson would still be utilized quite a bit.

Http://www.bradenton.com/2014/12/09/5523041_commentary-expect-joe-kinnan-to.html?sp=/99/100/&rh=1

I did not know all that about Kinnan.  Fascinating article.  May be a good move for USF. 

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Chip Kelly runs his high-octane spread offense with mark sanchez with success. They also use a fullback and tight end consistently. I think its pretty safe to say the spread offense places even mediocre qbs in a position to succeed.

I think mike white would do just fine in a spread offense. Our receiving corps will be suited for it as well. Plus sean price will finally be useful again!

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

Coach Kinnan would be excellent for the offense.  He is a genius with the spread - along with pretty much every other scheme - and he develops players very well.  He is very creative with play designs, and his play-action calls are nightmares for opposing defenses.

I'm all for giving Flowers a shot in a spread/zone-read offense.  Our offenses were at their best with dual threat QBs (Grothe and Daniels).  It will give the team more appeal, and should make it easier to attract the local SW Florida talent.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Chip Kelly runs his high-octane spread offense with mark sanchez with success. They also use a fullback and tight end consistently. I think its pretty safe to say the spread offense places even mediocre qbs in a position to succeed.

I think mike white would do just fine in a spread offense. Our receiving corps will be suited for it as well. Plus sean price will finally be useful again!

Isn't Price done now?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Isn't Price done now?

Price has another year. McFarland is gone though.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I think you guys are a little confused.  The spread option is just a formation with two or three options based on what the defense does, usually it's the DE that's read.  There are pass happy spreads and run first spreads.  Basically, there's several ways to run the spread option.  Some require an extremely mobile QB, others do not.