• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF QB in a spread offense - one person's musings

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725
  • Days Won:  0

Also you don't need to be in the spread formation to run the read option. See Nevada. Even the service academies run a version of the read option in which they read for the FB dive.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

cwt should quit

it is going to be embarrassing next year

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

cwt should quit

it is going to be embarrassing next year

I heard that's what he's going to do right after he gives back his pay for the past two years.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725
  • Days Won:  0

I think it will be a run first team still. I mean who do you trust more the RBs and FB, or the QB and WRs? As far as Swanson goes didnt RichRods WVU teams use a FB? What was his name Schmidt maybe? If we ran a system like this it would cover up Flowers weakness of throwing. All of Pat White's passes were screens and quick slants. So it could possibly work.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I think it will be a run first team still. I mean who do you trust more the RBs and FB, or the QB and WRs? As far as Swanson goes didnt RichRods WVU teams use a FB? What was his name Schmidt maybe? If we ran a system like this it would cover up Flowers weakness of throwing. All of Pat White's passes were screens and quick slants. So it could possibly work.

Owen Schmitt. What a hardheaded fool he was!

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Spread formation would work.  Swanson could be used sort of like we used to use Cedric Hill in a lot of formations.  As a true FB, Swanson could bring more options and more flexibility.

The 2 biggest issues for me would be more zone blocking and simplified blocking assignments and get an offensive coordinator in here that can actually design well thought out play designs.  

If the redshirted and younger receivers are as athletic as they have been billed, the spread could work well if we can get them the ball quickly and in space.  Nothing wrong with some roll out passes that give Flowers a run/pass option and also passing options at two or three receiving depths downfield.  getting the ball to Rodney Adams or Tyre McCants 3 or 4 yards downfield in space works for me.  Spread the line horizontally and give Mack some space between blockers would probably work a lot better than thinking our OL can just overpower people at the line of scrimmage every play.

Sounds a lot like the way we first started to run the spread when Andre Hall was here and Julmiste was QB.  Flowers athleticism is what they envisioned when Carlton Hill was brought in for a similar offense.  He just had Matt Floyd syndrome and Grothe was a much better QB that actually understood how to run the read option.

This type of offense makes alot more sense to me.  Especially when we will have 3 new starters playing together for the first time next year.

Edited by usfgrad84

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I like offenses that score

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Consistently