• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CANDIDATES for Offensive Coordinator

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Why would any OC come for a potentially one year deal? Think man think. Stop with emotion and use your pumpkin.

So he can be the head coach when Tags is canned.

But I agree, it would be a risky move that many would refuse to make out of fear.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

Why would any OC come for a potentially one year deal? Think man think. Stop with emotion and use your pumpkin.

I believe you ate correct. Harlan must have a plan otherwise this could turn in to a bigger mess. Some changes obviously need to be made, but you can't get rid os someone without being able to make an upgrade. It will be hard to lure someone away for a one year gig.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Taggart is the architect of this offense.  A coordinator change wont change the offense.  The offense is either going to work next year or we'll have an entire new coaching staff.  Besides no one is going to come in worth their salt when there's a big chance they'll be out of work again in a year.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

So he can be the head coach when Tags is canned.

But I agree, it would be a risky move that many would refuse to make out of fear.

Won't work

Applicant: What happens if I do a good job and we win?

Harlan: Well then, Willie gets all the credit and keeps his job

Applicant: OK, then - what happens if I do a bad job and we lose?

Harlan: Well then, Willie gets all the blame and loses his job, but so do you since you're bad.

No-win situation...

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Since Pelini was canned I'd be talking to his OC today.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688

I guess if we are going to keep the guy, we might as well ad some stability and keep the whole staff. Just think how may coaches the 2015 seniors, especialy defense, will have played under. Changing schemes and staff every other season won't help things much and will hardly be of any consequence after 2015 when Taggart is fired anyway.

I am now of the opinion if we are really going to give Taggart a shot in 2015, we may as well go all in and let him keep all of his guys. If he has to be micro managed by the AD to be successful, how much success could that ultimately bring if the coach doesn't believe in what he is coaching?

Harlan should certainly make expectations clear, throw out some suggestions and criticisms, make it clear he is under performing, and then let Taggart sink or swim by giving Taggart complete control. Hell, maybe a good move to see how much it would cost to get the QBs some one on one sessions for a few hours with Gruden or some QB consulting. The QBS will be here after Taggart.

You can't really expect someone to believe you have full confidence in them if you are micro-manageing the **** out of them.

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

I guess if we are going to keep the guy, we might as well ad some stability and keep the whole staff. Just think how may coaches the 2015 seniors, especialy defense, will have played under. Changing schemes and staff every other season won't help things.

Agreed!! No point of changing OC or DC. DC did good enough with what he had to work with using the 3-4 that he was told to use. Nevermind that Chuck B is used to the 4-3 and had a great defense last season, he was told to coach what he rarely has coached before using a lot of young players. I dont think the defense takes a step back this season if that DL is back from 2013.  But that is just the way it is, so no need to fire him after one season that he regressed even though the defense was not all that bad. No need firing the OC since people have said that CWT runs the offense anyway. No way do we get a good OC on a lame duck HC anyway. So I agree that we should not worry about changing now. Next season will be a different story. 

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

cwt better get a juco qb that can step in the play 

otherwise he is doomed

White is a junior next year.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  135
  • Days Won:  0

The thing that Harlan needs and more than likely tell CWT is that he needs to give more power to the OC. It has been said that the new OC didnt have much say in the play calling. Why does USF even need an OC when CWT takes over. What good OC would want to come to USF and be handcuffed? Harlan will have to straigten this out with CWT.

This.

Why was our OC being MADE to sit in the box during arguably the most important game of the year. I think our young coach might have a bit of an ego problem.