• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jarvis Baxter JUCO WR

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  178
  • Days Won:  0

Just to make everyone feel a bit better this morning, word out of OU camp from Bob Stoops is that Baxter is already a starting WR in certain formations. Wish that he could have made it in here. Seems to be a great talent. 

Does not make me feel better or worse.  I am glad we have academic standards.  I want our football team to be good but I also want their education to mean something.  I would rather have a .500 team full of quality people then a top ten team with a bunch of scum bags on it.  I may be in the minority.

P.S.  I do not know the kid so I am not calling him a scum bag. 

Edited by SaltyBulls
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Just to make everyone feel a bit better this morning, word out of OU camp from Bob Stoops is that Baxter is already a starting WR in certain formations. Wish that he could have made it in here. Seems to be a great talent. 

Does not make me feel better or worse.  I am glad we have academic standards.  I want our football team to be good but I also want their education to mean something.  I would rather have a .500 team full of quality people then a top ten team with a bunch of scum bags on it.  I may be in the minority.

Completely agree

This is a collegiate team

University/academics first comes first.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Completely agree

This is a collegiate team

University/academics first comes first.

I don't totally disagree with your sentiment but if academics truly came first, 95% of the kids on the roster wouldn't be here.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  178

That is all the more reason why we should not lower the standards even further!

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  636

Cool story of Jarvis Baxter in his new home. 

https://trove.com/a/WR-Jarvis-Baxter-takes-long-journey-to-start-for-Oklahoma.XnOso?utm_campaign=hosted&utm_medium=twitter&ts=1441889936&utm_source=sns&nocrawl=1

He started his first game this year and led the team in reception with 5 this past weekend.. Good for him. 

Good for him but man that's painful to hear

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

If USF only accepts 9 credit hours over the summer, but another allows 12, that does not necessarily mean that we have higher academic standards.

Yesterday, I was reading an article on a Florida Gulf Coast JUCO Basketball signee. The NCAA requires a 2.5 GPA.

FGCU reviewed his transcript and denied him admission. He then was accepted into PITT which supposedly has very high academic standards. I presume that PITT reviewed that same transcript but allowed more of his courses with the better grades. We've had similar situations in the past.

The bottom line is that we have denied admission to some quality players in both FB and BB, to supposedly quality schools and I don't find any comfort in the academic standards argument.   

• Upvote 1

If USF only accepts 9 credit hours over the summer, but another allows 12, that does not necessarily mean that we have higher academic standards.

Yesterday, I was reading an article on a Florida Gulf Coast JUCO Basketball signee. The NCAA requires a 2.5 GPA.

FGCU reviewed his transcript and denied him admission. He then was accepted into PITT which supposedly has very high academic standards. I presume that PITT reviewed that same transcript but allowed more of his courses with the better grades. We've had similar situations in the past.

The bottom line is that we have denied admission to some quality players in both FB and BB, to supposedly quality schools and I don't find any comfort in the academic standards argument.

He failed to meet even the bare minimum requirements for admission to the university. May not be "academic standards" in its traditional sense, but if you are going to have a set-in-stone rule that purportedly applies to everyone, it is important to apply it evenly across the board.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

He failed to meet even the bare minimum requirements for admission to the university. May not be "academic standards" in its traditional sense, but if you are going to have a set-in-stone rule that purportedly applies to everyone, it is important to apply it evenly across the board.

This is an ignorant statement.  NO academic standard is applied across the board at ANY university...they are ALWAYS having to meet various quotas for all sorts of reasons.  And yes, a great athlete is one of those.  Mama is right--USF needs to get its **** together and stop denying entry to students who can get into an AAU school.

This is an ignorant statement. NO academic standard is applied across the board at ANY university...they are ALWAYS having to meet various quotas for all sorts of reasons. And yes, a great athlete is one of those. Mama is right--USF needs to get its **** together and stop denying entry to students who can get into an AAU school.

I'm not sure of your point. Doesn't the mere fact that they turned him away for this pretty clearly show this isn't something they budge on?

As I pointed out a few posts above, I'm aware that athletes are generally treated differently. But we aren't talking about just dipping below an average GPA, or meeting a quota... that happens often and everywhere. But this is a basic, measurable rule.

It's not like we haven't gotten our fair share of kids who have been turned away from other schools based on academics. Each school has different criteria.