• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Slowest offense in Division 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

USF has a Penn ST transfer qb from the days of Joe Pa. It may be just as much about not being able to develop a qb as not having one.

Bench was signed by Bill obrien. Not before. and he was asked to leave soon after

Who asked him to leave? This is the first time I've heard Bench was kicked off the team.
Same here. I was told he left because of other QB's predicted ahead oh him. When they were going after him people of this board were thrilled. Folks waver so much here my head spins sometimes. Example all of the Andre Davis posts. He is the best. He's a slouch. Which is it?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

USF has a Penn ST transfer qb from the days of Joe Pa. It may be just as much about not being able to develop a qb as not having one.

Bench was signed by Bill obrien. Not before. and he was asked to leave soon after
Who asked him to leave? This is the first time I've heard Bench was kicked off the team.
Same here. I was told he left because of other QB's predicted ahead oh him. When they were going after him people of this board were thrilled. Folks waver so much here my head spins sometimes. Example all of the Andre Davis posts. He is the best. He's a slouch. Which is it?

Everything I've read was that he left of his own free will for what was perceived to be a better opportunity to play at USF. If the coaches asked him to leave, that would mean they offered him a scholarship and, after one year, pulled it on him. I feel like that would have been at least mentioned in passing.

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,409
  • Days Won:  13

Consider who is responding to me and expect the exact opposite of what I write, every time.

Consider who is responding to me and expect the exact opposite of what I write, every time.

That's his thing. Let him be happy.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I know he didn't come right out and say it but surely you guys are smart enough to read between the lines. he was told he would no longer get Qb reps and i'm sure in his evaluation he was "encouraged" to transfer. i don't expect slick to understand because he somehow thought Bench was signed under Joe pa but here is one of a few articles.

Credit O'Brien for his refreshing honesty and not wanting to keep Bench around knowing he may never be more than a career backup, and with three years of eligibility left and four years to complete them, it makes perfect sense for Bench to find a better opportunity, perhaps closer to home.

Despite returning only Bench for this year, O'Brien repeatedly passed on getting the Georgia product some seasoning in several routs. He kept saying he's a one-quarterback man and, "I thought it was Matt's game."

Even with fourth-quarter leads of 34-7 vs. Navy, 35-7 at Illinois, 38-7 at Iowa and 34-3 at Purdue, Bench watched from the bench as McGloin kept trotting out with the games long ago decided.

That was telling then and more telling now.

It showed O'Brien - particularly in facing scholarship limitations that will reduce the squad to 65 grants by August of 2014 - didn't want to invest time in a player he wasn't sure about.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/571010/Rudel--O-Brien-didn-t-believe-in-Bench-at-quarterback.html?nav=746

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,647
  • Days Won:  424

I know he didn't come right out and say it but surely you guys are smart enough to read between the lines. he was told he would no longer get Qb reps and i'm sure in his evaluation he was "encouraged" to transfer. i don't expect slick to understand because he somehow thought Bench was signed under Joe pa but here is one of a few articles.

Credit O'Brien for his refreshing honesty and not wanting to keep Bench around knowing he may never be more than a career backup, and with three years of eligibility left and four years to complete them, it makes perfect sense for Bench to find a better opportunity, perhaps closer to home.

Despite returning only Bench for this year, O'Brien repeatedly passed on getting the Georgia product some seasoning in several routs. He kept saying he's a one-quarterback man and, "I thought it was Matt's game."

Even with fourth-quarter leads of 34-7 vs. Navy, 35-7 at Illinois, 38-7 at Iowa and 34-3 at Purdue, Bench watched from the bench as McGloin kept trotting out with the games long ago decided.

It showed O'Brien - particularly in facing scholarship limitations that will reduce the squad to 65 grants by August of 2014 - didn't want to invest time in a player he wasn't sure about.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/571010/Rudel--O-Brien-didn-t-believe-in-Bench-at-quarterback.html?nav=746

Yeah, but it doesn't actually say he was asked to leave ...  :rolleyes:

No, it doesn't. There's a huge difference in being told you aren't ever going to play and being kicked off the team for not being good enough.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

No, it doesn't. There's a huge difference in being told you aren't ever going to play and being kicked off the team for not being good enough.

where did I say he was kicked off the team? coaches "encourage" players to transfer all the time and no I don't know if he actually asked him (semantics) but if you read between the lines he was certainly encouraged to pursue other options.

where did I say he was kicked off the team? coaches "encourage" players to transfer all the time and no I don't know if he actually asked him (semantics) but if you read between the lines he was certainly encouraged to pursue other options.

Asked to leave vs. left on his own because he wanted more playing time. Being kicked off/thrown off/cut from/asked to leave is all the same thing. You're saying that the coaching staff who offered him a scholarship pulled that scholarship from him after his freshman season due to nothing other than his skills. I 100% do not believe that is true. There is no evidence to support that statement. Bench himself has never said that. The coaching staff at PSU has never said that. No paper has ever reported that. No rumor has ever been floated that hinted at that. Just like I said in the Holtz thread, if you don't like Bench either, just say it. But to imply he was asked to leave the program because he wasn't as good as they had hoped is not even a little bit true. It's insulting to Steven Bench to try and claim he was cut from PSU and it's a lie about a coach you know nothing about.

*You said you're a student, if you think there's no difference between leaving on your own and being asked to leave, here's what I want you to do tonight: Call your mom and tell her USF "asked you to leave" the school because they didn't think you could handle it. Then call your dad and tell him "I think I'd like to go to a different school next year since it presents a better opportunity." Compare the reactions of the two.

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,647
  • Days Won:  424

Hindsight being what it is, here's probably the way you should have put the initial post on this:

"Bench was signed by Bill obrien. Not before. but soon after .... but, during the 2013 season and after, it did not appear that he was in PSU's future qb plans"