• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Where Were The Students?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

One would think that Tampa fans (those who grew up here in the area) would be accustomed to going to games to see a team that isn't competitive.  Look at the Yuckaneers  before the Super Bowl run and  the past few years.   Even though the Bucs were losing consistently people still showed up and it was fun( thinking back to the big sombrero days).  (not so much fun lately)    

Attendance issues seem to be a problem lately for  A LOT of schools.  The Wisconsin game this year their student section was half full for half the game(  I was there in person) (it was the quietest 70,000 in a stadium Ive ever seen).      Michigan has lowered their season ticket prices for their students as well.  Lots of schools are struggling with attendance in the past few years.

It seems that the NEW GENERATION of Fans (if you can call them Fans) is all about Winning  or they  wont attend.  They need instant gratification  or cant be bothered.     Maybe its a societal issue and not just a USF issue?  With that said Still no excuse to NOT ATTEND your own schools game in order to attend another In State schools game instead. (those fans Students or non students ) are probably not what I would call REAL fans anyway.  (more like Bandwagon fans). 

I look forward to the days when USF is a powerhouse again. Will make seasons like the last 3 or 4 bitter sweet.

You pretty much nailed this new generation of fans as a whole ... and it's obviously worse at places like USF without decades of fan foundation building.

It's not so black and white as, old fans good, new fans bad. Everything is accessible now. Mostly every game is on HD TV/Internet with amazing quality. If 50-60" widescreen HD TV's were around for $500-$600 back in the day, I'm sure there would be problems with attendance as there are now. It's not fair to compare the old generation vs new because it was completely different back then. HD TV and saving money are the problems and it's only going to get worse when 4k HD TV's start to drop in price. It just looks so much better on a huge tv for the average fan, not to mention a 12 pack of beer and burgers on the grill outside just feet away, with the bathroom across the room.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

I don't need to learn ****. You need to learn how to read what people actually type instead of flying off the handle like some grown man who still throws tantrums. I stand behind my claim that the "ANNOUNCED" attendance seems pretty close to those actual people in the seats. Especially since the capacity is 45+ as someone else already stated.

And the ANNOUNCED attendance for one of those dreg games you said were pulling near capacity was 31K .... which only a fool would say was "near capacity". Now, that you've been proven wrong it two different threads about that, lets move on to the "bash" problem you apparently have.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

1) Tail gating stinks.

2) The drive to the stadium is far and on a dangerous road. No one wants to have a few beers then drive that distance (not like they should anyway). 

3) Why go watch a team that doesn't even try?

4) Everyone is incredibly sick of losing.

5) Our team scores zero touch downs and it is incredibly boring and frustrating to watch. 

6) Parking is 15-20 bucks and getting out is a nightmare. 

Don't forget sports are a form of entertainment, and there is nothing entertaining about spending a lot of money in gas, stadium food, parking, and watching your team lose. 

PS- Tampa is one of the worst sports fan cities in the world. Non-student fans never show up either. 

Why is this thread still going? Should have ended here. There is no reason to come to these games besides going for the sake of going. 

• Upvote 1

One would think that Tampa fans (those who grew up here in the area) would be accustomed to going to games to see a team that isn't competitive.  Look at the Yuckaneers  before the Super Bowl run and  the past few years.   Even though the Bucs were losing consistently people still showed up and it was fun( thinking back to the big sombrero days).  (not so much fun lately)    

Attendance issues seem to be a problem lately for  A LOT of schools.  The Wisconsin game this year their student section was half full for half the game(  I was there in person) (it was the quietest 70,000 in a stadium Ive ever seen).      Michigan has lowered their season ticket prices for their students as well.  Lots of schools are struggling with attendance in the past few years.

It seems that the NEW GENERATION of Fans (if you can call them Fans) is all about Winning  or they  wont attend.  They need instant gratification  or cant be bothered.     Maybe its a societal issue and not just a USF issue?  With that said Still no excuse to NOT ATTEND your own schools game in order to attend another In State schools game instead. (those fans Students or non students ) are probably not what I would call REAL fans anyway.  (more like Bandwagon fans). 

I look forward to the days when USF is a powerhouse again. Will make seasons like the last 3 or 4 bitter sweet.

You pretty much nailed this new generation of fans as a whole ... and it's obviously worse at places like USF without decades of fan foundation building.

It's not so black and white as, old fans good, new fans bad. Everything is accessible now. Mostly every game is on HD TV/Internet with amazing quality. If 50-60" widescreen HD TV's were around for $500-$600 back in the day, I'm sure there would be problems with attendance as there are now. It's not fair to compare the old generation vs new because it was completely different back then. HD TV and saving money are the problems and it's only going to get worse when 4k HD TV's start to drop in price. It just looks so much better on a huge tv for the average fan, not to mention a 12 pack of beer and burgers on the grill outside just feet away, with the bathroom across the room.

Agree completely that TV is definitely a factor in the overall fan attendance being down but it's the student part that dham was talking about that's more the generational thing that's affecting USF that I also agree with.

1) Tail gating stinks.

2) The drive to the stadium is far and on a dangerous road. No one wants to have a few beers then drive that distance (not like they should anyway). 

3) Why go watch a team that doesn't even try?

4) Everyone is incredibly sick of losing.

5) Our team scores zero touch downs and it is incredibly boring and frustrating to watch. 

6) Parking is 15-20 bucks and getting out is a nightmare. 

Don't forget sports are a form of entertainment, and there is nothing entertaining about spending a lot of money in gas, stadium food, parking, and watching your team lose. 

PS- Tampa is one of the worst sports fan cities in the world. Non-student fans never show up either.

Why is this thread still going? Should have ended here. There is no reason to come to these games besides going for the sake of going.

Because some of those "points" were bogus, as addressed earlier ...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  146
  • Days Won:  0

I don't need to learn ****. You need to learn how to read what people actually type instead of flying off the handle like some grown man who still throws tantrums. I stand behind my claim that the "ANNOUNCED" attendance seems pretty close to those actual people in the seats. Especially since the capacity is 45+ as someone else already stated.

And the ANNOUNCED attendance for one of those dreg games you said were pulling near capacity was 31K .... which only a fool would say was "near capacity". Now, that you've been proven wrong it two different threads about that, lets move on to the "bash" problem you apparently have.

An overall 89% capacity is near capacity. And from what I've seen AND proven it looks like those number are legit. And yet to prove you wrong again:

http://thebullspen.com/topic/89078-usf-realignment-rumorstweetsetc/page-334

Search under page 334 and while you are there, please wipe the stupid off your face. I'm done with you.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

:popcorn:

Poorly disguised troll vs. Mr. Semantics.

This oughta be really good.  Please don't disappoint, Triple B. 

An overall 89% capacity is near capacity. And from what I've seen AND proven it looks like those number are legit. And yet to prove you wrong again:

Search under page 334 and while you are there, please wipe the stupid off your face. I'm done with you.

Thanks for the link. Check under page 335 where Dogma showed your 89% was a blatant lie in games against junk opponents, which is what you were bragging about .... and I fully realize that you're just having fun, keeping this going ... unless you really are a Kanigit fan and this clueless.

:popcorn:

Poorly disguised troll vs. Mr. Semantics.

This oughta be really good.  Please don't disappoint, Triple B.

Good thing is the little time in this back and forth saves having to read more of the rehashing of the CWT bashing ...  B)

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Thanks for the link. Check under page 335 where Dogma showed your 89% was a blatant lie in games against junk opponents, which is what you were bragging about .... and I fully realize that you're just having fun, keeping this going ... unless you really are a Kanigit fan and this clueless.

It's actually the same page he asked you to read.  He must have "skipped over" the part where Dogma corrected him ...