• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

I am hardly trashing our student athletes about APR. What I am pointing out is that we set out to accomplish having a higher APR and we succeeded. At the same time our on the field success has diminished and people much like yourself suggest that we lack the athletes and Tags just needs time to reload them. You can choose to find the relationship between the new higher APR and our lack of athletes to be a spurious one but I think they have a positive correlation.

Yet there are plenty of programs, including UCF and the Alabama program you mentioned, that have no problem winning with a higher APR than ours .... The relationship does indeed seem spurious. There must obviously be reasons we've taken steps backward since CJL left but blaming it on smarter players is kind of ridiculous based on other evidence out there.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Schools with higher football APRs that are better in football than we are:

Wisconsin

Boise State

Stanford

Georgia Tech

Clemson

Boston College

USCe

Nebraska

Rutgers

Missouri

Cal

UCF

VaTech

Air Force

Michigan

Alabama

Mississippi State

Vanderbilt

Schools that are less than 4 points below us that are better:

Notre Dame

Miami

Ohio State

Texas A&M

Navy

Utah

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

From Chapter 18, with apologies to Niccolo...

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be educated than athletic or athletic than educated? It may be answered that one should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be educated than athletic, when, of the two, either must be dispensed with.

And that student who, relying entirely on their athletics, has neglected other precautions, is ruined; because friendships that are obtained by victories on the field of play, and not by greatness or nobility of mind, may indeed be earned, but they are not secured, and in time of need cannot be relied upon; and men have less scruple in offending one who is athletic than one who is educated, for education is preserved and athleticism fades away.

:D

To paraphrase, athletic ability fades, education doesn't

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  80
  • Days Won:  0

Schools with higher football APRs that are better in football than we are:

Wisconsin

Boise State

Stanford

Georgia Tech

Clemson

Boston College

USCe

Nebraska

Rutgers

Missouri

Cal

UCF

VaTech

Air Force

Michigan

Alabama

Mississippi State

Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt is not better the us, although that could make for the most miserable football game to ever watch, we are better.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  80
  • Days Won:  0

That might be a new record for TBP. Only took one post for someone to piss all over something positive. Congrats puc!

Thanks but I'm pretty sure it's only a tie for the record. I can't be the only one that thinks no one at Alabama or FSU is staying up at nite worrying about graduation rates. Even UNC which is a flagship for academia was making up fake courses for their athletes, the game is measured by who has the most points at the end of the game and how many times you do that it comparison to other teams. Graduation rates really aren't a factor in that in less you are grasping at straws for reasons to celebrate. CJL had APR's that embarrassed some but no one talked about those around the water cooler, yet everyone knows we are at the bottom of the football food chain and they don't even laugh at us any more they look down on us with pity.

you are correct that ON FIELD performance is important, but after those students leave the field and many will not make it to the NEXT LEVEL, you want those former athletes to represent both the program and the school in a positive way.

Nothing more stereotypical than the "dumb jock" who only came ot school to play ball and didnt take advantage of getting a degree.

it matters....

Exactly, also a recruiting point. The player may not care, but the players parents might. Recruiting parents is a great way to get recruits.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

To paraphrase, athletic ability fades, education doesn't

Cliff Notes, FTW!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,959
  • Days Won:  12

I don't believe that APR and on the field performance are NEGATIVELY correlated, but I know it is frustrating to be great at one and terrible at the other. 

By the way, I agree with bausfkid - anything we can do to demonstrate high program quality matters. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

They are his Bulls now and they did post the program's best APR score.  It may be a little misleading, but factually true.

And I'm good with that when everyone blames Tags for our record the past 2 years and not Holtz.