• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF notes: Taggart will wait to name starting QB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

^ yet we were all praising him for his toughness after the Tulsa second half. He's got some stones, but for some reason he keeps losing them.

That's true. At times he has shown some mental toughness. I've never seen physical toughness though. I'm never seen him step into a throw and take a shot. That is needed is a quarterback

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

^ yet we were all praising him for his toughness after the Tulsa second half. He's got some stones, but for some reason he keeps losing them.

He's just like my QB for my other team (Jets).   Geno has a couple of games in a row where he finally looks like he is starting to get it, and then all of a sudden he looks even worse then he did in the 1st place.

If we are all being really honest, Mike White didn't beat Tulsa in the 2nd half, Andre Davis and Marlon Mack did.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

Taggart is in a tough situation right now.

White - 2 star QB that was ranked 79th in the country in High School -  He's just not getting it done.  Yeah when Andre gets wide open he finds him but otherwise he's just awful.  He doesn't see the field well, and his accuracy overall is awful.   At this point I don't think he can go back to him.

Bench - 3 star QB that was ranked 58th in the country in High School - He was destined to ride the bench for 4 years at Penn State so he came here.   Just like White he has been up and down when he has hit the field.   He has shown some flashes at times, but at other times he has looked just as bad as White.

Flowers - 4 star ATHLETE.  Half of the recruiting websites don't even consider him to be a QB prospect.  We saw why when he came in and starting throwing interceptions right away.   He may techinally be a "4-Star" but he is obviously not close to being ready yet and is way too raw to expect a high level of play.

Wilson - Redshirt Freshman walk-on that has had zero time with the 1st team, and probebly almost no time with the 2nd team either.  If we are expecting a walk-on QB to do anything then we are in trouble.

Taggart has been recruiting extremely well overall since he got here, but if he doesn't find a QB by 2015, he is doomed.   The scary thing is that if you look at the prospects at QB for next year, only 13 of the top 100 QB's are uncommitted still, and the only one we have is Kean, whose only other offers have been from MAC and D-2 schools.

According to ESPN Recruiting, White was a 3-star, ranked as 37th at QB-PP. Mike has the tools, so I'm not sure why you're attaching "awful" to those attributes. What is fair to say awful about is his head game.

For what it's worth, Taggart recruited Brandon Doughty at WKU, and look at how the kid is doing this year (he was a 3 star, 74th ranked QB). 3rd in the nation in throwing yards and TD throws. He had two full years to develop as back up, and began starting as a junior.

Edited by Sipher

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

That's true. At times he has shown some mental toughness. I've never seen physical toughness though. I'm never seen him step into a throw and take a shot. That is needed is a quarterback

I have seen it a few times. One example off the top of my head is where he had a fracture in his non throwing arm, I think during the second game of the season.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

White - 2 star QB that was ranked 79th in the country in High School -  He's just not getting it done.  Yeah when Andre gets wide open he finds him but otherwise he's just awful.  He doesn't see the field well, and his accuracy overall is awful.   At this point I don't think he can go back to him.

Bench - 3 star QB that was ranked 58th in the country in High School - He was destined to ride the bench for 4 years at Penn State so he came here.   Just like White he has been up and down when he has hit the field.   He has shown some flashes at times, but at other times he has looked just as bad as White.

Flowers - 4 star ATHLETE.  Half of the recruiting websites don't even consider him to be a QB prospect.  We saw why when he came in and starting throwing interceptions right away.   He may techinally be a "4-Star" but he is obviously not close to being ready yet and is way too raw to expect a high level of play.

Wilson - Redshirt Freshman walk-on that has had zero time with the 1st team, and probebly almost no time with the 2nd team either.  If we are expecting a walk-on QB to do anything then we are in trouble.

Taggart has been recruiting extremely well overall since he got here, but if he doesn't find a QB by 2015, he is doomed.   The scary thing is that if you look at the prospects at QB for next year, only 13 of the top 100 QB's are uncommitted still, and the only one we have is Kean, whose only other offers have been from MAC and D-2 schools.

According to ESPN Recruiting, White was a 3-star, ranked as 37th at QB-PP. Mike has the tools, so I'm not sure why you're attaching "awful" to those attributes. What is fair to say awful about is his head game.

For what it's worth, Taggart recruited Brandon Doughty at WKU, and look at how the kid is doing this year (he was a 3 star, 74th ranked QB). 3rd in the nation in throwing yards and TD throws. He had two full years to develop as back up, and began starting as a junior.

White's accuracy has been awful.   He is 123rd out of 126 QB's in terms of accuracy.   Nobody can defend that.  Go to Scout and he was the 78th overall QB.  37th Pocket Passer is nothing, especially at a time when in College Football you need someone who is a Duel Threat.  The only Pocket Passers that end up doing anything these days are the best of the best and that's it.

And no he doesn't see the field well at all.  He makes his 1st read and if that isn't there he either takes a sack, or just throws the ball away.  Our running backs this year have 15 receptions.  TOTAL.  There are 60 Running backs in the country that have more receptions then that on their own.  If you don't even have 1 reception per half by your running back then your going to lose a lot of games.   White has absolutely no idea where his check down is when nothing is there, and he hasn't gotten better at finding those guys.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

This is like groundhog day.   

GroundHogDay.gif

Only 11 sacks allowed in 8 games.  That is in the Top 20 of fewest allowed.  Yes, we run the ball, but we've been behind most games and needed to pass often.  

South Florida QBs are not having a horrible time getting passes away because of a terrible OLine.

BJOCxpG.gif ........according to CWT they are 

It's a 3 man race, Flowers is in it as well.

And just like that we're back to square one. 

This is kind of ridiculous.  We are halfway through the season and you have three guys (or more) competing for the starting QB job?  This is why he should have taken action in Game 1 instead of Game 7.

Methinks the main problem is that one guy looks really good in practice but not so much when the bright lights come on.  Confuses Tags and then he reverts back to choosing the guy that looks good in practice.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

I would suggest that Tags looks at how the QBs grade out while in the game as opposed to practice. Otherwise why grade them?

I though coaches were supposed to be the smart ones

White's accuracy has been awful.   He is 123rd out of 126 QB's in terms of accuracy.   Nobody can defend that.  Go to Scout and he was the 78th overall QB.  37th Pocket Passer is nothing, especially at a time when in College Football you need someone who is a Duel Threat.  The only Pocket Passers that end up doing anything these days are the best of the best and that's it.

And no he doesn't see the field well at all.  He makes his 1st read and if that isn't there he either takes a sack, or just throws the ball away.  Our running backs this year have 15 receptions.  TOTAL.  There are 60 Running backs in the country that have more receptions then that on their own.  If you don't even have 1 reception per half by your running back then your going to lose a lot of games.   White has absolutely no idea where his check down is when nothing is there, and he hasn't gotten better at finding those guys.

Not to defend White, who I liked early in his college career but have since changed my mind, but from memory of game replays I don't remember seeing a lot of RB/FB or other check downs since they are usually in blocking and don't release.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,681
  • Days Won:  8

A competition at this point is still hard headed. White has had enough starts to show you all he's got in games. Just start Bench, give him all the first team reps. See how he does when you go all in behind him like was done for White.

Edited by Gismo