• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF notes: Taggart will wait to name starting QB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

If, according to CWT, the "White vs Bench" competition was so close last year and this spring training don't you think CWT would not have hesitated and put Bench in and/or named him the new starter right away ?

I don't see Bench or White Practice every day so I can't accurately answer that.....

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

After watching the Spring game and the open practices, I'd have ranked them:

1. Bench

2. White

3. Wilson

85. Flowers

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

85 is better number than our offense

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

If Bench starts... are we still going to see Flowers thrown in?

My guess is he will play.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Taggart is in a tough situation right now.

White - 2 star QB that was ranked 79th in the country in High School - He's just not getting it done. Yeah when Andre gets wide open he finds him but otherwise he's just awful. He doesn't see the field well, and his accuracy overall is awful. At this point I don't think he can go back to him.

Bench - 3 star QB that was ranked 58th in the country in High School - He was destined to ride the bench for 4 years at Penn State so he came here. Just like White he has been up and down when he has hit the field. He has shown some flashes at times, but at other times he has looked just as bad as White.

Flowers - 4 star ATHLETE. Half of the recruiting websites don't even consider him to be a QB prospect. We saw why when he came in and starting throwing interceptions right away. He may techinally be a "4-Star" but he is obviously not close to being ready yet and is way too raw to expect a high level of play.

Wilson - Redshirt Freshman walk-on that has had zero time with the 1st team, and probebly almost no time with the 2nd team either. If we are expecting a walk-on QB to do anything then we are in trouble.

Taggart has been recruiting extremely well overall since he got here, but if he doesn't find a QB by 2015, he is doomed. The scary thing is that if you look at the prospects at QB for next year, only 13 of the top 100 QB's are uncommitted still, and the only one we have is Kean, whose only other offers have been from MAC and D-2 schools.

According to ESPN Recruiting, White was a 3-star, ranked as 37th at QB-PP. Mike has the tools, so I'm not sure why you're attaching "awful" to those attributes. What is fair to say awful about is his head game.

For what it's worth, Taggart recruited Brandon Doughty at WKU, and look at how the kid is doing this year (he was a 3 star, 74th ranked QB). 3rd in the nation in throwing yards and TD throws. He had two full years to develop as back up, and began starting as a junior.

Also got to work with Petrino for a year. Having one of the best offensive coaches in the country in a system that works is a big benefit.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

If, according to CWT, the "White vs Bench" competition was so close last year and this spring training don't you think CWT would not have hesitated and put Bench in and/or named him the new starter right away ?

I don't see Bench or White Practice every day so I can't accurately answer that.....

....straight from CWT's mouth (quotes) and by his not naming a starter (multiple times) for so long.