• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart has officially changed the culture.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

It's not a sweeping statement though.     6 out of 7 games this year the Bulls have fought hard and given 100% effort the entire game, and even in the NC State game, they were giving the effort, they just got whooped.  This isn't the 1st game that the Bulls have shown that they have a different attitude as a football team, It's just the 2nd (Western Carolina too), time where that fight resulted in a win.

It's easy to say "I won't make any judgements until the team starts winning consistently."  but you can see the signs of a bad to mediocre team on the right track of becoming a great team, and vice versa.   Look at Muschamp and Florida.  The signs were there from early in Year 2 that he was tanking that program, but most Gator fans didn't want to accept it.   Same deal with FSU and Jimbo.  The record didn't show right away but he had been hauling in massive recruiting classes, and anyone paying attention knew that FSU was on the brink of being a monster again.    USF is on that track.

Our definitions of great teams must differ greatly.

Look. This team is better than the team last year. I think he's got us on the right track as far as the culture changing. Call me a debbie downer, but I think you're a little extreme on the optimism. It's an incredible win due to the circumstances (greatest comeback in school history), but at the end of the day we beat (1-6) Tulsa. We are on track to our program improving to what it's been the last 4+ seasons. The talent shows it and now the win column is starting to show it. We are still a long long long way away from being anything relevant in the college football world. 

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

...We are still a long long long way away from being anything relevant in the college football world.

I got so pissed after Tulsa's fourth TD and said out loud "How the F could USF be getting blown out in the Irrelevant Bowl?!" Glad for the comeback but man the frustration can be maddening.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

It's not a sweeping statement though.     6 out of 7 games this year the Bulls have fought hard and given 100% effort the entire game, and even in the NC State game, they were giving the effort, they just got whooped.  This isn't the 1st game that the Bulls have shown that they have a different attitude as a football team, It's just the 2nd (Western Carolina too), time where that fight resulted in a win.

It's easy to say "I won't make any judgements until the team starts winning consistently."  but you can see the signs of a bad to mediocre team on the right track of becoming a great team, and vice versa.   Look at Muschamp and Florida.  The signs were there from early in Year 2 that he was tanking that program, but most Gator fans didn't want to accept it.   Same deal with FSU and Jimbo.  The record didn't show right away but he had been hauling in massive recruiting classes, and anyone paying attention knew that FSU was on the brink of being a monster again.    USF is on that track.

Look. This team is better than the team last year. I think he's got us on the right track as far as the culture changing. Call me a debbie downer, but I think you're a little extreme on the optimism. It's an incredible win due to the circumstances (greatest comeback in school history), but at the end of the day we beat (1-6) Tulsa. We are on track to our program improving to what it's been the last 4+ seasons. The talent shows it and now the win column is starting to show it. We are still a long long long way away from being anything relevant in the college football world. 

We will just have to agree to disagree, which is perfectly fine.    I just don't think we are that far off by any means.   We are already playing good teams like Maryland, Wisconsin, and East Carolina very tough, we just don't have the talent to actually win those games instead of just keeping them close right now.    The effort the team is giving though right now is extremely good though, and as Taggart brings in high level talent, the high level of effort and fight will already be established.

We will just have to agree to disagree, which is perfectly fine.    I just don't think we are that far off by any means.   We are already playing good teams like Maryland, Wisconsin, and East Carolina very tough, we just don't have the talent to actually win those games instead of just keeping them close right now.    The effort the team is giving though right now is extremely good though, and as Taggart brings in high level talent, the high level of effort and fight will already be established.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Not sure if we've been watching the same team. We're talking University of South Florida, right? When I think of great team, I think of a top 25 team. If we're not far off from that then I need to go get my brain and eyes checked.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Not sure if we've been watching the same team. We're talking University of South Florida, right? When I think of great team, I think of a top 25 team. If we're not far off from that then I need to go get my brain and eyes checked.

We have played 2 ranked teams (Wisconsin and ECU), and one that is starting to receive some votes and is somewhere right now in the 30 - 35 range (Maryland), and we lost by an average of 11 points to all three,   If we were close in one game, and get beat down the other 2 I would say it was a fluke, but the Bulls are consistently fighting very good teams, and keep coming up 1 or 2 scores short.  To me that says they are getting close.

We will know alot by the end of the year.  Memphis, UCF, Cincy, and Houston are all ranked from 50th - 65th in the college football computer rankings.  If we go 2-2 against them, then we know the Bulls are somewhere in that range too.  Those 4 games will be a very good barometer of knowing exactly where the team is at right now, and how close they really are to becoming really good again.

It was a great comeback. Almost unbelieveable. I was pretty happy about the victory too. However I spit the kool-aide out half way thru the second half. A team like Tulsa should not score 28pts on any average team in one half. I felt the team was not prepared mentally especially the D to play this game at the start. SMU is an expected win. I will probably be at that game. Coach Taggart needs to win two more besides SMU for me to stop my skepticism about him now. He appears to be a pretty good recruiter. If Tags can recruit some road grater OLs,for Mack, a true starting FBS QB, and improve the D I will stop being skeptical that Bull Nation hired Skippy II. When it comes down to it, the Bulls only played half a game again.

True but under Skip we would have played a full 60 minutes and still lost by two. Our play calling is still pretty terrible if you ask me, we can move the ball on every team we have left we stop with the bad calls. Also our running game needs a better design, look how Tulsa had their blocking set-up it was genius.

Now once we adjusted they didn't adjust and really they still ran the ball pretty well up until the last few drives. I just feel we should be getting more then 2-3 yards a run. The big run will happen but boy it would be nice to average 4-6 a pop and then throw in the big chunk run. Maybe time to redesign the blocking scheme a little

Alot of that has to do with our play in the trenches right now.    Our O-Line at it's best just holds our opponents d-lines steady, and at it's worst, they get steamrolled.   Our D-Line may be the weakest unit on the team.   We never create any pass rush at all without blitzing.  It's the reason why teams like Tulsa, Western Carolina, and NC State are throwing for a crazy number of yards on us.  We can change the schemes up but most of the play on the lines has more to just do with the talent.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Amazing to see a comeback of this variety, but let's wait until December to start making declarations. The team looked rough in the first half

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Amazing to see a comeback of this variety, but let's wait until December to start making declarations. The team looked rough in the first half

it is all about how you finish

the bulls got the job done in tulsa

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I love reading your optimistic posts.  But you didn't just suggest that we are on the same track as FSU after beating Tulsa in a squeaker did you?

Same track, different engine?

339143-124b8410-14a0-11e4-9008-27f67b099

It was a great comeback. Almost unbelieveable. I was pretty happy about the victory too. However I spit the kool-aide out half way thru the second half. A team like Tulsa should not score 28pts on any average team in one half. I felt the team was not prepared mentally especially the D to play this game at the start. SMU is an expected win. I will probably be at that game. Coach Taggart needs to win two more besides SMU for me to stop my skepticism about him now. He appears to be a pretty good recruiter. If Tags can recruit some road grater OLs,for Mack, a true starting FBS QB, and improve the D I will stop being skeptical that Bull Nation hired Skippy II. When it comes down to it, the Bulls only played half a game again.

True but under Skip we would have played a full 60 minutes and still lost by two. Our play calling is still pretty terrible if you ask me, we can move the ball on every team we have left we stop with the bad calls. Also our running game needs a better design, look how Tulsa had their blocking set-up it was genius.

Now once we adjusted they didn't adjust and really they still ran the ball pretty well up until the last few drives. I just feel we should be getting more then 2-3 yards a run. The big run will happen but boy it would be nice to average 4-6 a pop and then throw in the big chunk run. Maybe time to redesign the blocking scheme a little

Alot of that has to do with our play in the trenches right now.    Our O-Line at it's best just holds our opponents d-lines steady, and at it's worst, they get steamrolled.   Our D-Line may be the weakest unit on the team.   We never create any pass rush at all without blitzing.  It's the reason why teams like Tulsa, Western Carolina, and NC State are throwing for a crazy number of yards on us.  We can change the schemes up but most of the play on the lines has more to just do with the talent.

How do you expect to create a pash rush from the Dline when we're only bringing 3 the majority of the time? In order to have a significant pass rush in a 3-4 you have to bring extra guys and blitz. That's not personnel issues, it's because of the scheme. Dropping into coverage and letting 3 guys rush the passer is a sure way to give the QB all day.