• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Notes from Madison

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Great people and knowledgeable fans, but if I had to explain why South Florida one more time and that no, we are not in Miami.

Easiest way: we were the southern most public university in Florida back in 1956. Voila!

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

ESFU: I thought better of the UW students--you expect a few drunk kids to do dumb stuff, but a coordinated cheer? That's both dumb and offensive--embarrassing.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,678
  • Days Won:  108

Great people and knowledgeable fans, but if I had to explain why South Florida one more time and that no, we are not in Miami.

Easiest way: we were the southern most public university in Florida back in 1956. Voila!

That's the way I explained to some of their fans behind us.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Did any of them admit to being scared for the first half and right before Swanson fumbled?

If they were honest, they would have said yes.

Their fans were very complimentary after the game.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  26
  • Days Won:  0

I'll add: another very nice touch was that their band played our fight song pre-game, after our FG, and for post-game (5th Quarter show). Don't know if they did it after our TD. Only other place I've seen that was in Cincinnati for pregame a few years ago. I don't get the ESFO chant by the students at the end of the half, not quite as classy a touch.

Think the old Miller beer ads - Tastes great!! Less Filling!!  This started back in the 60's and 70's when students were seated in sections by class. Freshmen sat in Section O, so sections N and P would chant O sucks.  From there it devolved into the ES-FU chant they currently use. The AD has been trying to eliminate it for 20 years.  They usually do it when the Steve Miller Band's piece,  "Swingtime",  is played either over the PA or by the UW band. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Days Won:  0

Badger fan here -- I know I was terrified all throughout the first half. Very impressive performance by your team.

Barry Alvarez has asked the students to stop the ES-FU chant. Bret Bielema asked. I don't know if Gary Andersen has asked yet, but I'm sure it's coming if he hasn't. It comes across on TV and is embarrassing when you get old and have to explain to your kids what they're chanting ("EAT CHIPS, FONDUE"). But it's not going away any time soon.

If you saw the wave in full, it starts in the student section and goes around once as a regular wave, once slow, once fast, then it reverses for a revolution and then splits. Pretty cool when they get through all of the versions.

I'll be cheering for your team the rest of the way. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

Badger fan here -- I know I was terrified all throughout the first half. Very impressive performance by your team.

Barry Alvarez has asked the students to stop the ES-FU chant. Bret Bielema asked. I don't know if Gary Andersen has asked yet, but I'm sure it's coming if he hasn't. It comes across on TV and is embarrassing when you get old and have to explain to your kids what they're chanting ("EAT CHIPS, FONDUE"). But it's not going away any time soon.

If you saw the wave in full, it starts in the student section and goes around once as a regular wave, once slow, once fast, then it reverses for a revolution and then splits. Pretty cool when they get through all of the versions.

I'll be cheering for your team the rest of the way. Good luck.

Thanks Pepper. FWIW, I like the chant. It's a college football game, let em have fun.