• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why kick on 4th down?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

It was too humid for the long snapper to get a good grip

How'd LA Tech do today Skip?

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

I'm still curious as to why went for a 54 yard field goal instead of attempting a 4th down play. Either way if you fail they get the ball at the same spot, and don't say "oh we got da kloss man", 54 yards is low % for even pro kickers.

Shoulda went on that 4th & 1 too, before we got a delay of game.

We have one of best FG kickers in the country. It was the right decision

Didn't take long for "but we got Kloss!". You're fooling yourself if you think that's the right decision. Up 17-14 with momentum on our side your faced with a 3rd & 4 from your opponent 36 and a TD drive really puts us in the driver seat, you don't settle for a 54 yard field goal. Giving up and trying for a field goal was a boost for Maryland. What i saw was our coach has no balls, little trust in his players and coaches the game scared. There is no safe take the points because its such a low % play it isn't even funny. What he did was play not to lose instead of going out and TAKING what is yours. Leavitt had that mentality, neither of our previous two coaches showed it.

Watch 52:15-56:47. Taggert proved today he is the exact opposite in coaching mentality.

Edited by deters-

The 54 yard FG attempt was the wrong call.  It was all about the score of the game...make or miss, a TD would still beat us.  A make would not have made it a two score game or given us the lead. Why not try to pick the extra couple of yards and keep the drive alive?

At the point of this play we were up 17-14. You gotta try and continue the drive because if we walk away with a TD, that nearly seals up that game. Maryland would have the ball at the same spot no matter if we missed or didn't convert the 3rd and 4th down. Coach got scared and it showed. He chickened out and cost his team what could have been the most important momentum and point swing of the entire game. Can't play to not lose, gotta make your own luck and go out and take it from the enemy.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

The 54 yard FG attempt was the wrong call.  It was all about the score of the game...make or miss, a TD would still beat us.  A make would not have made it a two score game or given us the lead. Why not try to pick the extra couple of yards and keep the drive alive?

At the point of this play we were up 17-14. You gotta try and continue the drive because if we walk away with a TD, that nearly seals up that game. Maryland would have the ball at the same spot no matter if we missed or didn't convert the 3rd and 4th down. Coach got scared and it showed. He chickened out and cost his team what could have been the most important momentum and point swing of the entire game. Can't play to not lose, gotta make your own luck and go out and take it from the enemy.

I want to agree with you, but I'm just wondering what part of our offense today would have given you confidence that we could have converted.  We were already 0-1 on 4th downs and finished 9-21 on 3rd downs.  

I guess where I agree with you is that I wonder if CWT showing some confidence in the abilities of the offense would have resonated and they would have risen to the occasion.  

We were just too **** inconsistent out there on offense today.  Kloss is usually about as sure as anyone in the country but that was indeed a hell of a long kick attempt.  

I want to agree with you, but I'm just wondering what part of our offense today would have given you confidence that we could have converted.  We were already 0-1 on 4th downs and finished 9-21 on 3rd downs.  

I guess where I agree with you is that I wonder if CWT showing some confidence in the abilities of the offense would have resonated and they would have risen to the occasion.  

We were just too **** inconsistent out there on offense today.  Kloss is usually about as sure as anyone in the country but that was indeed a hell of a long kick attempt.  

Mack was running pretty hard, I'm sure we could've gotten 4 yards with 2 runs by him. I mean were talking 4 yards with 2 plays. If you can't get that, you don't deserve to win and if a coach can't draw up a play that can get it, he shouldn't be coaching.

I know there was little confidence in the offense by the fans, and maybe even the coaches but there were signs of life every so often. Coach has got to show those kids he trusts them to get the job done. What he did was basically give up on them and used the FG as a cop out.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

go for it

why not?  we might not make it

no guts no glory

no wonder fans don't come to the game

no one can stop mack on short yardage

ride him to victories

cwt thinks he is vince Lombardi... ridiculous... 

you are usf  at home you go for it

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

go for it

why not?  we might not make it

no guts no glory

no wonder fans don't come to the game

no one can stop mack on short yardage

ride him to victories

cwt thinks he is vince Lombardi... ridiculous... 

you are usf  at home you go for it

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

I'm still curious as to why went for a 54 yard field goal instead of attempting a 4th down play. Either way if you fail they get the ball at the same spot, and don't say "oh we got da kloss man", 54 yards is low % for even pro kickers.

Shoulda went on that 4th & 1 too, before we got a delay of game.

We have one of best FG kickers in the country. It was the right decision

Taggart was playing for the field goal there.  It was Holtzesque. 

BTW, Kloss' long was 52 last year.  You guys act like he is automatic from 54.  

Taggart read Lovies Book on keeping the game close

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

It was too humid for the long snapper to get a good grip

How'd LA Tech do today Skip?
Dropped 48 on a 9 win team from last year...and they weren't even an FCS team. Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Oh my God!!  We went for it on 4th down last week and people on here were whining about how we should have punted.  This time we have our strong legged, Lou Groza award ffinalist attempt a FG and you complain!  WTF is wrong with you people?