• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who Still Thinks Willie Taggart is the coach of the future?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

I just realized that Matt Floyd IS NOT starting at USA...

Why are we bringing him up?

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

You can't spend your off-season working on a defense to stop WCU. We won't play another team this year that runs that offense. Bresnehan was fine last year and will be fine this year. We have historically had an issue with those FCS teams that run "wacky" offenses. It's because you don't practice it, you assume that the difference in talent will prevail. Let's stop with the torches and see how we do when we're playing someone that we actually prepared for.

Taggart says QB situation is good  

Last year's poor start has Bulls ready for anything

These are headlines leading up to this game.......these came from the HC.  He doesn't deserve a pass for the kind of game that was played if he properly prepared them.  Jesus, if I had half of you as my managers I would have gone out of business long ago.

why is it so difficult to understand that the coaches might have been more concerned with getting these young guys experience in areas they might be lacking than they were with running up the score on an FCS team? maybe they were working on areas of weakness? they easily flipped the game in the 3rd quarter when they wanted to.

if you ever sacrifice long term success for short term success than you won't be in business for long regardless of who your manager is.

Because its not true. USF was in a fight to win, not give experience to young players. You give experience reps in blowouts, not games you are getting beat by a lessor talent.

we were never really in a fight to win. we were down by 1 at the half and led by 2 scores most on the second half.

BTW we have plenty of young guys that start. I wasn't talking about giving back-ups experience.

I was talking about working on areas of weakness that our current starters need to work on in order to get them ready for conference play.

you get back-ups experience when you are loaded with senior and juniors at starting positions. that's not our case at all. we are very young defensively and these guys need plenty of reps especially in different defensive looks.

Well you watched a different game than I did because it didn't appear at any point the game was in hand and the coaching staff had the luxury to put in players just for situational experience. Not unless it was to experience getting beat or nearly beat.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I just realized that Matt Floyd IS NOT starting at USA...

Why are we bringing him up?

Because he is proof of the current HC's lack of evaluation abilities.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,473

so our head coach risked losing a game vs a 1-AA crappy school, to give players experience?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

so our head coach risked losing a game vs a 1-AA crappy school, to give players experience?

we were down by 1 at the half. had a 2 score lead for most of the second half. the game was never at risk.

do you even watch these games? didn't you think Tice started?

I'm saying we played prevent for the better part of the game. 3rd quarter we locked them down when we played press and got pressure. we have a very young defense especially in the secondary. it's quite possibly he thought they needed work in that area

you do realize most coaches aren't concerned with style points when it comes to these games. they treat them like NFL teams treat preseason games. absolutely they want to win them (unlike the NFL and preseason games) but they are more concerned with getting their team prepared for the conference schedule than they are with looking good by getting a blowout.

If this were an experinced team that was loaded with juniors and seniors especially on the defense than expecting a blowout would not be out of the question. that's when you want young back-ups to get reps.

as it is now our young what should be back-ups are actually starting

Edited by Bull94

You can't spend your off-season working on a defense to stop WCU. We won't play another team this year that runs that offense. Bresnehan was fine last year and will be fine this year. We have historically had an issue with those FCS teams that run "wacky" offenses. It's because you don't practice it, you assume that the difference in talent will prevail. Let's stop with the torches and see how we do when we're playing someone that we actually prepared for.

Taggart says QB situation is good  

Last year's poor start has Bulls ready for anything

These are headlines leading up to this game.......these came from the HC.  He doesn't deserve a pass for the kind of game that was played if he properly prepared them.  Jesus, if I had half of you as my managers I would have gone out of business long ago.

why is it so difficult to understand that the coaches might have been more concerned with getting these young guys experience in areas they might be lacking than they were with running up the score on an FCS team? maybe they were working on areas of weakness? they easily flipped the game in the 3rd quarter when they wanted to.

if you ever sacrifice long term success for short term success than you won't be in business for long regardless of who your manager is.

Because its not true. USF was in a fight to win, not give experience to young players. You give experience reps in blowouts, not games you are getting beat by a lessor talent.

we were never really in a fight to win. we were down by 1 at the half and led by 2 scores most on the second half.

BTW we have plenty of young guys that start. I wasn't talking about giving back-ups experience.

I was talking about working on areas of weakness that our current starters need to work on in order to get them ready for conference play.

you get back-ups experience when you are loaded with senior and juniors at starting positions. that's not our case at all. we are very young defensively and these guys need plenty of reps especially in different defensive looks.

Well you watched a different game than I did because it didn't appear at any point the game was in hand and the coaching staff had the luxury to put in players just for situational experience. Not unless it was to experience getting beat or nearly beat.

no where did I say he put back-up players in to gain experience. perhaps he felt our young secondary needed work on their prevent defense. you know keeping plays in front of them and tackling in the open field. that's why they ran that defense for the first half and the 4th quarter. by the looks of it they really do need work at that scheme.

BTW we led for almost the entire 2nd half. most of the time by double digits.

when they did go man to man press coverage and brought pressure the other team couldn't do anything. they only scored 3 points in the 2nd and 3rd quarters combined. they had 27 yards on 4 possessions  in the 3rd quarter.

Edited by Bull94

I was able to watch the 2nd half because I was in a Wedding it was the first game I have missed since 2005.

That being said, that game was in no way put away the entire 2nd half. Was it likely we would win? Yes, but it was far from over.

With the talent we have there is no way we should only win a game by 5 points, and have a QB that cant hit a WR.

You are correct that the coaches aren't to concerned with blow outs, however most teams blow out these teams with 3rd, and 4th string players in the game.

We couldn't do that with our first team in the game.

If you are not concerned after that game, I am not sure what would concern you.

I was able to watch the 2nd half because I was in a Wedding it was the first game I have missed since 2005.

That being said, that game was in no way put away the entire 2nd half. Was it likely we would win? Yes, but it was far from over.

With the talent we have there is no way we should only win a game by 5 points, and have a QB that cant hit a WR.

You are correct that the coaches aren't to concerned with blow outs, however most teams blow out these teams with 3rd, and 4th string players in the game.

We couldn't do that with our first team in the game.

If you are not concerned after that game, I am not sure what would concern you.

yeah most teams that have talented upperclassmen get blowouts. we do not.

that game was over by the beginning of the 4th quarter when we had a 13 point lead. they went back to the prevent, which we obviously need work on as expected considering how young we are in the secondary, and gave up a couple of cheap meaningless TDs.

I am not concerned at all. Offense scored 4 Tds after scoring 11 all of last year. QB could be better but he is young and I didn't think he would compete for the Heisman this year anyway. RB is a stud and can score from anywhere on the field.

defense played a very vanilla prevent scheme for 3 quarters. it allowed them to gain plenty of yards and resulted in some cheap TDs. when they needed to they shut that team down

I wasn't expecting anything but incremental improvement from this team. maybe 5 or 6 wins this year. it takes time to rebuild a program especially with how little talent we had left. I think that's what we saw.

Edited by Bull94

I expected anywhere from 5-7 wins this year. Which should be doable with the crap teams that have joined the AAC.

I think we have a 0.000000001% chance of a win this weekend.

Next week should be competitive, neither team is any good.

We may have scored 4 TD's last week, I will be very impressed if we score 17 points this weekend.

Edited by flsportsfan83