• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

College Football Playoff unveils selection committee protocol

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

A. Conference championships

That's the golden ticket. Re alignment wheels will fire up within the next 2 years if that keeps the Big12 out. 

I would love to see the BIG 12 go to 14 teams like the SEC has. Hopefully, the TV networks can convince them that they will get more money by adding better TV markets. Wouldnt mind seeing Cincy, USF, UCF, BYU or UConn get the 4 invites. 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

If they insist on a game, they now have the power to make their own rules for the minimum number of teams needed, like they unsuccessfully petitioned the NCAA for earlier this year. So I wouldn't get my hopes up about expansion seeing they just tried to get it changed 4 months back.

This rule is not part of the Autonomy... the P5 cannot make this rule on their own.  It requires all of Division 1 to support it.

That's the golden ticket. Re alignment wheels will fire up within the next 2 years if that keeps the Big12 out. 

The Big 12 has a conference champion.

True, it doesn't say, "conference championship game."

Yes, this is technically true... however, a conference championship game adds to the strength of schedule... and I think it will be a factor when the Big 12 is left out of the playoffs the first two or three years.  (And yes, I think it is more likely than not they will be left out.)

That's the golden ticket. Re alignment wheels will fire up within the next 2 years if  that keeps the Big12 out. 

More than likely it will in some years. The other conferences are already upset with the BIG12 for not having to play conference title game. Also, OU has already pushed for the BIG 12 to get back to 12 teams. So it is coming. 

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

B through E are will be highly exclusionary of non P5 teams, especially when the P5 shift to playing exclusively with themselves.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

there hasnt been a peep about further expansion

orlando and usf contingent needs to send their emissaries with a suitcase of benjamins to big 12 bosses

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Factor E. is a catch-all that gives total discretion to the powers that be on close cases

Can anyone imagine a scenario where an aac team makes the playoff and it isn't a close case

Agreed. That would mean leaving 2 P5 champions out of the playoffs and just don't see that happening.... so anybody following USF football just because they have a legit shot at the still MNC needs to take a break and come back when/if we get into a P5 conference.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Factor E. is a catch-all that gives total discretion to the powers that be on close cases

Can anyone imagine a scenario where an aac team makes the playoff and it isn't a close case

Agreed. That would mean leaving 2 P5 champions out of the playoffs and just don't see that happening.... so anybody following USF football just because they have a legit shot at the still MNC needs to take a break and come back when/if we get into a P5 conference.

Would require an undefeated 13 and 0 AAC team and TWO P5 conference champs with 2 or more losses on the season. And even that may not be enough.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

if b12 expands -- cinci is in and I think its USF or UCF.... thats why we need to right the ship and invest.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

If they insist on a game, they now have the power to make their own rules for the minimum number of teams needed, like they unsuccessfully petitioned the NCAA for earlier this year. So I wouldn't get my hopes up about expansion seeing they just tried to get it changed 4 months back.

This rule is not part of the Autonomy... the P5 cannot make this rule on their own.  It requires all of Division 1 to support it.

The Big 12 has a conference champion.

True, it doesn't say, "conference championship game."

Yes, this is technically true... however, a conference championship game adds to the strength of schedule... and I think it will be a factor when the Big 12 is left out of the playoffs the first two or three years.  (And yes, I think it is more likely than not they will be left out.)

That's the golden ticket. Re alignment wheels will fire up within the next 2 years if  that keeps the Big12 out. 

More than likely it will in some years. The other conferences are already upset with the BIG12 for not having to play conference title game. Also, OU has already pushed for the BIG 12 to get back to 12 teams. So it is coming. 

So, am I to assume that as long as Jeff Bower is not on their selection committee that we have a chance?

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

If a Big 12 team were somehow able to get into the national championship game without having to play a conference championship game, I think the remaining players in the P-5 would certainly try to leverage the Big 12 to expand, or the 12-team requirement for a conference championship game would have to get waived.

One thing that might be of interest here -- that we might have missed:

8. Participants. There shall be no limit on the number of teams that may participate from one conference in the playoff semifinals and the associated bowl games.

So there are 12 spots in the playoffs and associated games.... and six will go to the P5 and the best G5 school...

If the Big 12 gets left out of the CFP (because they only have 10 teams and no championship game)... and then only gets one team in the 12 slots ... it might affect their future decisions.

How many times will we see something like this:

SEC: 3-4 teams

Big 10 2-3 teams

Pac 12 2-3 teams

ACC 1-2 teams

Big 12 1 team

AAC/MWC 1 team

Will the Big 12 like this?

Could this actually happen?