• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

College Football Playoff unveils selection committee protocol

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  184
  • Days Won:  0

Via the Orlando Sentinel (http://preview.tinyurl.com/n4yoos2)

A. Conference championships
B. Strength of schedule
C. Head-to-head competition
D. Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without margin of victory)
E. And other relevant factors such as key injuries

It's still unclear how much of a shot an undefeated team from the American would have at making the playoff, but I still feel we've got a better shot at making the playoff than we did making it under the old BCS system. I like that the top two criteria are Conference Champions and Strength of Schedule, two things we can control (to an extent). 

We still have to schedule strong out of conference competition, and we still have to WIN.

Go Bulls. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

That's the golden ticket. Re alignment wheels will fire up within the next 2 years if that keeps the Big12 out. 

That's the golden ticket. Re alignment wheels will fire up within the next 2 years if that keeps the Big12 out. 

This.

Although - there was an interesting piece that said the number 12 was arbitrary when the rule was created... the NCAA could change that rule.

Thankfully, it was not one of the provisions for autonomy... so it would have to be voted by everyone.

(The ACC also wants to change the rule about the game being two teams from different divisions).

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

The Big 12 has a conference champion.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

True, it doesn't say, "conference championship game."

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,408
  • Days Won:  13

If they insist on a game, they now have the power to make their own rules for the minimum number of teams needed, like they unsuccessfully petitioned the NCAA for earlier this year. So I wouldn't get my hopes up about expansion seeing they just tried to get it changed 4 months back.

If they insist on a game, they now have the power to make their own rules for the minimum number of teams needed, like they unsuccessfully petitioned the NCAA for earlier this year. So I wouldn't get my hopes up about expansion seeing they just tried to get it changed 4 months back.

This rule is not part of the Autonomy... the P5 cannot make this rule on their own.  It requires all of Division 1 to support it.

Yes, this is technically true... however, a conference championship game adds to the strength of schedule... and I think it will be a factor when the Big 12 is left out of the playoffs the first two or three years.  (And yes, I think it is more likely than not they will be left out.)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,408
  • Days Won:  13

Read on another board that there is thinking that the NCAA is going to deregulate CCG rules in their October meeting. 2 of the 5 P5 want it. Guess we'll find out then.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705

This rule is not part of the Autonomy... the P5 cannot make this rule on their own.  It requires all of Division 1 to support it.

Yes, this is technically true... however, a conference championship game adds to the strength of schedule... and I think it will be a factor when the Big 12 is left out of the playoffs the first two or three years.  (And yes, I think it is more likely than not they will be left out.)

That's the golden ticket. Re alignment wheels will fire up within the next 2 years if  that keeps the Big12 out. 

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213

Factor E. is a catch-all that gives total discretion to the powers that be on close cases

Can anyone imagine a scenario where an aac team makes the playoff and it isn't a close case