• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Chris Oladokun, QB, Alonso HS (2016)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

I would tell him...

• If you want to be a fan of Oklahoma and Texas, perhaps a doormat B12 team is for you. We are players. We want to compete, for championships. And most importantly WIN those championships. Iowa State can't offer that. USF can.
  • I would tell him that if academics is his #1 priority, there are better schools to choose than Iowa State, and that they simply do not have a better reputation academically than USF. (We aren't talking about Univ. of Iowa here...) A school in a big metro area affords more research and internship opportunities, and tends to place better in the real world.
  • I would tell him if watching other sports is his priority, Iowa State's BBall program is terrible right now, and USF has a broad sports program that has had a ton of success in sports that Iowa State can't even afford to field a team in (baseball, for instance). We are in this to PLAY and WIN football games - spectators belong elsewhere.
  • Playing run and gun in a league with no defense isn't going to make you a better player. Coaching, playing, competing and winning makes you a better player.

But seriously. He may end up somewhere else but it won't be Iowa State. Come on

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, WWMJD said:

I would tell him...

• If you want to be a fan of Oklahoma and Texas, perhaps a doormat B12 team is for you. We are players. We want to compete, for championships. And most importantly WIN those championships. Iowa State can't offer that. USF can.
  • I would tell him that if academics is his #1 priority, there are better schools to choose than Iowa State, and that they simply do not have a better reputation academically than USF. (We aren't talking about Univ. of Iowa here...) A school in a big metro area affords more research and internship opportunities, and tends to place better in the real world.
  • I would tell him if watching other sports is his priority, Iowa State's BBall program is terrible right now, and USF has a broad sports program that has had a ton of success in sports that Iowa State can't even afford to field a team in (baseball, for instance). We are in this to PLAY and WIN football games - spectators belong elsewhere.
  • Playing run and gun in a league with no defense isn't going to make you a better player. Coaching, playing, competing and winning makes you a better player.

But seriously. He may end up somewhere else but it won't be Iowa State. Come on

So your argument for USF would be as follows:

• We've never won a single championship, but you can believe us when we say we're going to win one, you can not believe Iowa State (even though they won their division once, which is one more time they we ever have). Also, playing Tulane is better than playing Texas.
  • If you have to choose between USF and Iowa State and academics is a concern, stop comparing us since there are better schools than both of us. Do not read U.S. News and World Report or Forbes, they don't know what they're talking about. 
  • Iowa State's basketball program is terrible right now despite being ranked in the top 20, making the tournament the last 4 years along with a Sweet 16 appearance and you'd follow that up by saying that we're better in all our sports than Iowa State, especially baseball, which Iowa State disbanded over a decade ago (because...well, because it's ******* Iowa and they weren't making $25+ million a year then). Oh yeah, no need to compare Iowa State's complete baseball history to USF's, only use seasons from 2002-2015. And...watching other sports and enjoying being a college student is stupid and you have no place at USF if you plan on doing anything besides playing football. USF football does not encourage its players to be spectators of other sports and we certainly don't want you to enjoy going to those other games if you do find yourself at one. Unless you like baseball. Remember, we have a team and they do not. Wait, you like wrestling and gymnastics? ****.
  • Lastly, playing for Iowa State will not make you a better player despite that fact they have put literally 100+ players into the NFL. Winning is important, though you should not compare the records of the two schools since 2000, only compare last year. Do not compare seasons finishing in the top 25. Do not compare bowl appearances. Do not compare finishes in conference. The only thing you should pay attention to is last season's records. Coaching is important to, so do not compare the resumes of Willie Taggart and Matt Campbell. Playing time is important to, so do not go to Iowa State since their players are better than you and you won't get to play as much as you would at USF. Or, even if their players aren't better than you, you won't get playing time. Playing time is unique to USF and I can offer a ton of it. What's that? You're concerned that Quinton Flowers is the QB ahead of you and that might go counter to my speech about playing time? Have I mentioned the beaches?

I'm kidding here with my rebuttal, but to say USF is a slam dunk over ISU is silly. We're all homers here, but to simply dismiss Iowa State because you wouldn't go there doesn't hold up for a million reasons for 18 year olds being recruited. He may choose USF, he may choose Iowa State, but to say ISU holds "no upside" for him just isn't true.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I forgot to mention the beaches. I'd definitely rely on the beaches.

But seriously, if he wanted to pick a school based on academics or other sports, surely he could find a better option than Iowa State. That's all I'm saying.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Iowa State has not fared too poorly in Florida the last several years.  They had 9 kids in the 2013 class but seem to average around 5 Florida kids a class over the last decade. Seem to always get a kid from Pinellas but also into Manatee and up into Jacksonville. The biggest loss we had against them was Leonard Johnson who is now a safety with the Patriots.  This year WR Quenton Bundrage should get drafted and he was a Manatee kid that we were after. We should win for Oladakun but Iowa State won't be a pushover.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

2 hours ago, WWMJD said:

Yeah, I forgot to mention the beaches. I'd definitely rely on the beaches.

And don't forget the multitude of single moms working the various gentlemen's establishments that are scattered throughout the Tampa Bay region. Beaches and single moms dancing around tubes got me to the big dance at USF. :D

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, JTrue said:

I'm kidding here with my rebuttal, but to say USF is a slam dunk over ISU is silly. We're all homers here, but to simply dismiss Iowa State because you wouldn't go there doesn't hold up for a million reasons for 18 year olds being recruited. He may choose USF, he may choose Iowa State, but to say ISU holds "no upside" for him just isn't true.

Outside of exaggerating a bit, every person weights things differently and probability is on WWMJD's side for all the reasons I listed.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 minutes ago, CRBULL said:

Outside of exaggerating a bit, every person weights things differently and probability is on WWMJD's side for all the reasons I listed.

Probability is on his side because it's Iowa.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Probability is on his side because it's Iowa.

Exactly.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Per Joey Knight:

"Sickles QB @1Chrisoladokun0 tells me #USF coaches paying him a visit today, said he remains firm on his Bulls pledge."

• Upvote 2