• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Depth Chart for football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

You hide as many things behind semantics as you desire.  If he/she meant NT, he would have said it.  The implication from DT means are speaking of the 4-3 defense.  Nobody ever refers to the NT in a 3-4 defense as DT... They call him a nose guard... NT.. etc.  I mean people play dress-up when they get corrected like it's something wrong with someone pointing out they are not totally right.  To many thin skins.

Wikipedia: "A defensive tackle who lines up directly across from the ball (and therefore is almost nose-to-nose with the offense's center) is often called a nose tackle or nose guard. The nose tackle is most common in the 3-4 defense. Most defensive sets have one or two defensive tackles."

SBNation: "There are varying roles for defensive tackles -- whether you're a nickel pass rusher, a nose tackle or a base down run-stuffer -- and gap (one-gap or two-gap) assignments and general roles vary in the 4-3 and the 3-4."

Football 101:  "Nose Tackle: A defensive tackle who lines up directly across from the center"

You're not wrong but neither was Bullphin or GA...

Also, just to add to this, nose tackles also exist in 4-3 defenses, so the black and white distinction is just not there.  Do you remember Booger McFarland?

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

I think we will see multiple sets. After watching some highlights from the spring the 1st team dline had Chandler, Watson, Calloway and Lee standing up. Second team had Hill, Senat, Hector and Perry standing up.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Boy, this thread went caca fast

Speaking of caca, the OT's play OUTSIDE the OG's, not inside them...  #jussayin

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

And OG's pop caps if either one of them if they don't line up straight...

"Drops phone, he was holding sideways, while typing this, and walks off"

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Bresnahan has run the 3-4 every place he's been at.  Last season was the first he didn't.  Also if you look at his earlier interviews when he first got in,  on Scout, 247, and rivals... the ones from last spring... when asked would in run the 3-4 he said personnel will dictate that.  He said with four stud ends you want to maximize their ability.  But he said we would be running it in the future.  Our defensive recruiting has been for the 3-4... has nobody not noticed?  

He ran the 4-3 in Cincinnati (at least part of the time) and in Oakland (at least part of the time).  I haven't followed his career enough to know, but it seems from what I can find online that he has shown a lot of variation, which is consistent with the philosophy I mentioned (as did you):  the personnel will dictate the scheme. 

Re: recruiting, I think they are desperately recruiting any d-linemen they can get after whiffing on several over the past couple years.  We are lean and have been for some time, even for a 3-4.  I do not think that is by choice.

Raider fan here... No we did not run the 4-3 when he was with Oakland.  I'm from the bay area (not tampa though I did cross the land to go to school at usf).  We ran the 3-4 when he was our coordinator.  I mean you literally just made that up.  I would be silent but you're spreading that as gospel.  I don't know about the Bengals so I'll give you that.  But the entire time he was with the Raiders, which was very short, we ran the 3-4.  We ran it in the Super Bowl when the Bucs whipped us.  But yeah... that part of your statement is BS so I'll take the rest with a grain of salt.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

You hide as many things behind semantics as you desire.  If he/she meant NT, he would have said it.  The implication from DT means are speaking of the 4-3 defense.  Nobody ever refers to the NT in a 3-4 defense as DT... They call him a nose guard... NT.. etc.  I mean people play dress-up when they get corrected like it's something wrong with someone pointing out they are not totally right.  To many thin skins.

Wikipedia: "A defensive tackle who lines up directly across from the ball (and therefore is almost nose-to-nose with the offense's center) is often called a nose tackle or nose guard. The nose tackle is most common in the 3-4 defense. Most defensive sets have one or two defensive tackles."

SBNation: "There are varying roles for defensive tackles -- whether you're a nickel pass rusher, a nose tackle or a base down run-stuffer -- and gap (one-gap or two-gap) assignments and general roles vary in the 4-3 and the 3-4."

Football 101:  "Nose Tackle: A defensive tackle who lines up directly across from the center"

Also, just to add to this, nose tackles also exist in 4-3 defenses, so the black and white distinction is just not there.  Do you remember Booger McFarland?

You're grasping at straws.  I honestly don't think you knew we were running the 3-4 this year to be honest.  You likely thought the 3-4 was a training fad for camp which is understandable... but it wasn't and that is not what that statement was referring to.  It's easy to tell.  I mean nobody refers to the NT as the DT... he could see time in the DT rotation... whatever... I call BS.  I just corrected a wrong with someone who doesn't want to admit that they dks.

Edited by MonteBull

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Bresnahan has run the 3-4 every place he's been at.  Last season was the first he didn't.  Also if you look at his earlier interviews when he first got in,  on Scout, 247, and rivals... the ones from last spring... when asked would in run the 3-4 he said personnel will dictate that.  He said with four stud ends you want to maximize their ability.  But he said we would be running it in the future.  Our defensive recruiting has been for the 3-4... has nobody not noticed?  

He ran the 4-3 in Cincinnati (at least part of the time) and in Oakland (at least part of the time).  I haven't followed his career enough to know, but it seems from what I can find online that he has shown a lot of variation, which is consistent with the philosophy I mentioned (as did you):  the personnel will dictate the scheme. 

Re: recruiting, I think they are desperately recruiting any d-linemen they can get after whiffing on several over the past couple years.  We are lean and have been for some time, even for a 3-4.  I do not think that is by choice.

Raider fan here... No we did not run the 4-3 when he was with Oakland.  I'm from the bay area (not tampa though I did cross the land to go to school at usf).  We ran the 3-4 when he was our coordinator.  I mean you literally just made that up.  I would be silent but you're spreading that as gospel.  I don't know about the Bengals so I'll give you that.  But the entire time he was with the Raiders, which was very short, we ran the 3-4.  We ran it in the Super Bowl when the Bucs whipped us.  But yeah... that part of your statement is BS so I'll take the rest with a grain of salt.

ZING!

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

You hide as many things behind semantics as you desire. If he/she meant NT, he would have said it. The implication from DT means are speaking of the 4-3 defense. Nobody ever refers to the NT in a 3-4 defense as DT... They call him a nose guard... NT.. etc. I mean people play dress-up when they get corrected like it's something wrong with someone pointing out they are not totally right. To many thin skins.

Football 101: "Nose Tackle: A defensive tackle who lines up directly across from the center"

Also, just to add to this, nose tackles also exist in 4-3 defenses, so the black and white distinction is just not there. Do you remember Booger McFarland?

You're grasping at straws. I honestly don't think you knew we were running the 3-4 this year to be honest. You likely thought the 3-4 was a training fad for camp which is understandable... but it wasn't and that is not what that statement was referring to. It's easy to tell. I mean nobody refers to the NT as the DT... he could see time in the DT rotation... whatever... I call BS. I just corrected a wrong with someone who doesn't want to admit that they dks.

Calm down **** LeBeau. Typically one accepts an apology and moves on, what with social protocol being what it is. Seeing how being acknowledged as right is of upmost importance to you, would you like for me to admit IDKS? IDKS about defensive schemes. Now you can continue grace us with you infinite football wisdom. Perhaps you can address how we are going to compensate for an undersized NT since we don't have anyone who really fits that bill.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431

Couple of thoughts.

NT is just an alignment of a DT and referring to a DT as NT just gives additional context, kind of like DB vs CB or S.

What about Hamilton, I thought for sure he would land in the 2-deep?

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431

Are the LBs recruited prior to Taggart not cutting it enough that people are putting redshirts and freshmen ahead of most of them?

• Upvote 1