• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The NBA has a big issue on its hands

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

Props to Adam Silver, came down hard.

For those who haven't heard, lifelong ban, 2.5m fine, and will urge owners to vote him out(3/4s vote).

I don't like forcing him out. Letting the players and coaches walk after the season (if they wanted to) and letting the market force him out was the way to go imo.

The lifetime ban isn't bad.

It would take too long to let the market force him out. In the end he would still make money while the ones who would suffer would be the fans, employees, ticket office, etc.

The commissioner should have gone further and forced Sterling to sell the team and give the proceeds to various charities. Just like we have used the civil justice system to rid society of hate groups, the league needs to send a message to the other racist owners out there.

Edited by Leviathan

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the end result will depend on sterling

if he is satisfied with a 750mil or so profit he will walk

he has the dough and  lawyers to fight it

the punishment was way too harsh---bad precedent

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

One issue is he was recorded it appears illegally...the guy is going to fight that.

The guy has a history of being racist and was about to get Naacp award next month seems like toss money at Naacp and they close their eyes.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

When you make a decision or say things that cost your organization and greater Association (i.e. the NBA) tens of millions of dollars in sponsorships, of course they are going to come down on you hard.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

One issue is he was recorded it appears illegally...the guy is going to fight that.

The fact that he recorded it illegally has no bearing on any lawsuit with the NBA. Since Smazzas an attorney(something he's good at, not like him trying to correct me on draft prospects ;)) he could correct me on this but since it is now public record, the statements can be used against him.

However, i believe he does have the authority to take legal action against the one who recorded/released the tapes. Just not the organization that used the statements against him.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Owners may force him to sell but won't take away the sales proceeds. One, nothing in their bylaws specifically allows that and two, once you start going down that path then what else could you lose your sales proceeds for? It's undefined and no owner is going to risk it coming back to bite them.

The NBA is not limited in the information it can use to make this decision. If it was illegal then that is up to law enforcement to prove and it is a criminal matter but the information is there and the NBA can rely on it.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Also Sterling's case with the NBA will not be in court but in arbitration. The rules of evidence in arbitration are very loose generally.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Props to Adam Silver, came down hard.

For those who haven't heard, lifelong ban, 2.5m fine, and will urge owners to vote him out(3/4s vote).

I don't like forcing him out. Letting the players and coaches walk after the season (if they wanted to) and letting the market force him out was the way to go imo.

The lifetime ban isn't bad.

It would take too long to let the market force him out. In the end he would still make money while the ones who would suffer would be the fans, employees, ticket office, etc.

The commissioner should have gone further and forced Sterling to sell the team and give the proceeds to various charities. Just like we have used the civil justice system to rid society of hate groups, the league needs to send a message to the other racist owners out there.

Regardless of what you think or I think, the binding document here is the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws of the NBA. As long as they follow these, I personally don't really care what his punishment is. He's clearly a moron.

But arbitrarily seizing someone's property is unjustifiable absent a legally applied due process.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

The fact that he recorded it illegally has no bearing on any lawsuit with the NBA. Since Smazzas an attorney(something he's good at, not like him trying to correct me on draft prospects ;)) he could correct me on this but since it is now public record, the statements can be used against him.

However, i believe he does have the authority to take legal action against the one who recorded/released the tapes. Just not the organization that used the statements against him.

Yeah that's the direction I was going...him going after the girl that recorded him. So unfortunately this will be in news for awhile.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Owners may force him to sell but won't take away the sales proceeds. One, nothing in their bylaws specifically allows that and two, once you start going down that path then what else could you lose your sales proceeds for? It's undefined and no owner is going to risk it coming back to bite them.

The NBA is not limited in the information it can use to make this decision. If it was illegal then that is up to law enforcement to prove and it is a criminal matter but the information is there and the NBA can rely on it.

Don't think they should take any money away like that .... just vote him off the island.