• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2015 Luis Montero - former #1 player in the Dominican

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If he signs, I guess that would mean someone needs to be booted before next summer?

This is very unusual, no? Seems like a toxic way to start a program.

I'm guessing plenty of changes in regime start this way .... Hopefully, if someone does need to be jettisoned, they can help find him a home.

Players are rotated in and out of programs at will. The numbers always work themselves out.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Come on Jesus you still owe me!

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Lohud.com is the site that broke the WCC scandal. I'm glad to see that there is no indication of anything wrong with the transcript of former USF player Jarrid Famous who went there as well. I assumed his name would come up again (by them), if Montero committed to us:

WCC guard Luis Montero commits to South Florida

Mike Zacchio, mzacchio@lohud.com 10:03 p.m. EST November 18, 2014

...Westchester Community College standout sophomore swingman Luis Montero has orally committed to the University of South Florida, according to multiple reports, but the school said it cannot comment on Montero's status until he inks his National Letter of Intent, The Journal News confirmed Tuesday.

"We have not received an NLI at this time," South Florida associate director of athletics Brian Siegrist said of Montero in an email. "We cannot comment on prospective student-athletes until they have signed."

...At South Florida, Montero will play for first-year coach Orlando Antigua, who played for St. Raymond's High School, along with Vikings head coach Tyrone Mushatt.

South Florida also recruited and signed Westchester alum and former NJCAA Division I All-American first-teamer Jarrid Famous, who played two seasons for the Bulls before graduating in 2011.

In wake of the transcript scandal at Westchester, Siegrist had previously told The Journal News that it did not plan on reviewing Famous' transcripts.

"We have not had any indication that a review is necessary at this point," he said. "There's no indications that there's any problem with the transcript."

http://www.lohud.com/story/sports/college/2014/11/18/wcc-guardluis-montero-commits-south-florida/19252701/?utm_medium=%5B%27twitter%27%5D&utm_source=%5B%27dlvr.it%27%5D

MONTERO TO USF

Luis Montero, a 6-9 forward from Westchester (N.Y.) Community college committed to Orlando Antigua and USF.

“I know the coach can take me to the next level,†Montero told SNY.tv by text. “I made the best decision for me and my family.â€

A source said that Montero is expected to qualify despite the WCC transcript scandal that caused four D-1 commits from that school to be ineligible, including former St. John’s forward Keith Thomas.

It’s not hard to imagine the NCAA reviewing his transcripts, however.

Montero’s high-major appeal is most notably linked to a diversified folder of tools.

He’s a threat to dial in from beyond the arc.

He can dice defenders off the dribble.

He can score consistently via self-creation, with a knack for splitting into the driving lanes and finishing at/above the rim. He’s become more adept as a passer and creator.

WCC coach Tyrone Mushatt said it would be a disservice not to have the ball in his incoming go-to-guy’s hands as much as possible.

And what to say of Montero’s considerable wingspan, those Pippen-long arms that seem as long as stickball bats?

“He’s a better defender than people think,†Mushatt.

While his identity is that of an electric offensive threat with a janitor’s supply of hard-to-guard tools, Montero still has just 16 JUCO games under his belt.

He averaged 15.6 points, 5.9 boards, and 3.0 assists in 16 games as a freshman, erupting for 31 points during a wire-to-wire 113-86 bludgeoning of Rockland Community College.

He scored 20 points, shooting the rock at an 8-for-13 clip, during a win over Harcum College. Montero dropped 19 points on 7-for-11 FG during the Vikes’ final game of the regular season, an 82-70 win over Baltimore City Community College.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/recruiting-roundup-doughty-to-st-johns-montero-to-usf-pritchard-to-oklahoma/

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  0

We have heard these "they will qualify tweets"  before.  Eric Mayes? Rohan Blackwood? Don't count them until the season starts and they are playing.

We have heard these "they will qualify tweets"  before.  Eric Mayes? Rohan Blackwood? Don't count them until the season starts and they are playing.

No question.

I'm just 'hopeful', considering, the ongoing scandal at WCC, that at this stage a reputable reporter has a source telling him that Montero "is expected" to qualify. I'm sure that USF will do extra due dilligence with respect to his transcript.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  123
  • Days Won:  0

All,

Any word on why he isn't listed as signing?  I am hoping this isn't another Waverly Austin thing.

Thx

jonpfl

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Probably because we don't have an open schollie for him, and they're still trying to figure out who gets the axe.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Probably because we don't have an open schollie for him, and they're still trying to figure out who gets the axe.

My best guess is Dre' Clayton. He was suited up for yesterday's game against UConn, and I didn't see him sniff the court.