• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Would firing Heath be another classic USF mistake?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

http://www.voodoofive.com/2014/3/11/5493682/would-firing-stan-heath-be-another-usf-mistake

I agree with the points made in Colin's article. I think Heath deserves another year with the class he is bringing in. If we are not at the very least on the NCAAT bubble next year then it is time to move on.

I could see this going either way but really hope we keep the only man to ever win a Tourney game in the school's history around for another year.

Andrew's column was weak with many holes that can be easily counterpointed.

The old way of thinking is gone with the hiring of Harlan, as he is not an USF alumn and will not have this defeated mentality of "we can't do any better because we are USF." This take the crumbs falling off the table from mediocre coaches like Stan Heath has hopefully ended.

LOL....being on the NCAAT bubble might please you but it won't please a guy like Harlan.

With your thinking I guess Cal at UK is in trouble also.  I mean first round NIT loss and out of the top 25 with two number one recruiting classes at arguably the top program if not top 5 in the country.  Guess they need a new coach too.

Like I said before, I know this is a tough time for you and I fully understand why you are so worried. That's why I'm going to refrain from embarrassing you with an easy, easy, easy reply. Let somebody else do it if they choose.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Way

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

http://www.voodoofive.com/2014/3/11/5493682/would-firing-stan-heath-be-another-usf-mistake

I agree with the points made in Colin's article. I think Heath deserves another year with the class he is bringing in. If we are not at the very least on the NCAAT bubble next year then it is time to move on.

I could see this going either way but really hope we keep the only man to ever win a Tourney game in the school's history around for another year.

The old way of thinking is gone with the hiring of Harlan, as he is not an USF alumn and will not have this defeated mentality of "we can't do any better because we are USF." This take the crumbs falling off the table from mediocre coaches like Stan Heath has hopefully ended.

LOL....being on the NCAAT bubble might please you but it won't please a guy like Harlan.

With your thinking I guess Cal at UK is in trouble also.  I mean first round NIT loss and out of the top 25 with two number one recruiting classes at arguably the top program if not top 5 in the country.  Guess they need a new coach too.

Like I said before, I know this is a tough time for you and I fully understand why you are so worried. That's why I'm going to refrain from embarrassing you with an easy, easy, easy reply. Let somebody else do it if they choose.

Just as I refrain from embarassing you, I just don't have the time and go back and show you where your comments have been wrong over the years. I just hope next year when we make the tourney you have the manhood to admit you were wrong

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

HARDLY an even close comparison

Yes they lost the NIT first round in 2013... However:

2012 - NCAA Champions

2011 - F4

2010 - Elite 8

This year they are currently at 22-9

I would have no problems with a losing season (far worse than an NIT first round exit) if it meant those others years of success...

However we've had losing records 5 out of 7 years that Heath's been here. 

Our only real successful years was as a bubble team in 2012, the other was... a first round NIT loss in 2010

Nice try

Here are quotes from you ....

1) Key players are PG Anthony Collins, SF Victor Rudd, and PF Zach LeDay. These are your leaders and players that need to be consistent and bring it every night. Shooting Guard Javontae Hawkins is expected to be a go to player this season for the Bulls as well. Many people around the program have said that Hawkins is the most improved player on the team. A dark horse player to keep an eye on is Jr PG Corey Allen. The JC transfer is very fast, quick, and athletic. Kind of a spark plug player that can come off the bench and provide offense at either guard spot. 

2) Musa Abdul Aleem. Has to be huge this season as he's the only true long range shooter on the team. Three point shooting in general is the key for USF having a NCAAT season or just a so-so season. Other guys have to step up and be respectable from beyond the arc in order to make defenses not play zone against us all the time.

3) Freshmen John Egbunu will be counted on to control the paint defensively and grabbing rebounds. He's a very athletic finisher around the rim, but he's still raw offensively when it comes to creating his own. Chris Perry(6-8) will be his primary backup and while he doesn't have the height of Egbunu(6-10), Perry has the weight(265lbs+) and the strength the hold his own in the paint. He won't give you the blocked shots but he can rebound and has a more advanced game offensively then Egbunu.

by Jon Rothstein of CBS https://twitter.com/JonRothstein

He's by far and away the best National guy that covers USF, maybe the best overall period.

Jon Rothstein â€@JonRothstein 

South Florida being vastly underrated in the @American_Conf. Two all-league players in Collins + Rudd. Should compete for an NCAA bid.

USF working with a 20 second shot clock in practice to improve offensive pace. Also working on pressing + manufacturing points off defense.

Two X-Factors for USF. 1. Musa Abdul-Aleem - only played 9 games last yr. 2. Javontae Hawkins - word is he's been Bulls' steadiest scorer.

Personally I'm very excited about the changes Heath made after last season and so far he has kept his word that he is letting Coach Wells and Coach Marsh handle the offense and defense respectively. Wells is also in charge of player development too. Meanwhile Heath and Rocc are the road recruiters and doing a pretty decent job so far. If all these things continue then USF basketball is really pointed upward. However the skepticism in me still believes Heath will eventually take over the offense once the season gets here and we will see all this talent and optimism go to waste. I hope that isn't going to be the case.

Everybody down about football will feel better about what the basketball team can do this up coming season. For those that live through your USF sports needs to hitch a ride on the USF basketball bus and not Taggart's bus since it's going to be at least 3 years before he starts to replace the flat tires to start rolling again. USF basketball is about to really take off starting this up coming season.

Edited by Vega, 29 September 2013 - 01:09 AM

HARDLY an even close comparison

Yes they lost the NIT first round in 2013... However:

2012 - NCAA Champions

2011 - F4

2010 - Elite 8

This year they are currently at 22-9

I would have no problems with a losing season (far worse than an NIT first round exit) if it meant those others years of success...

However we've had losing records 5 out of 7 years that Heath's been here. 

Our only real successful years was as a bubble team in 2012, the other was... a first round NIT loss in 2010

Nice try

I guess you don't know sarcasm.  OF course UK isn't going to fire cal.  But I'm sure they (UK fans) are disappointed in the results the last two years

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,262
  • Days Won:  1

I think Heath will be back next year but anything short of the NCAA Tourney or if he does not get 10+ conference wins next season and he is gone. But I wouldn't be surprised if he is not here next year with a new AD looking to make USF a more desirable school to add into a P5 conference.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Sounds like Hawkins is gone:

@TeamTae23: I'm gone miss Florida mane 😫

@_EGGFOO_Young: @TeamTae23 where u going ?

@TeamTae23: @_EGGFOO_Young somewhere else

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Can't wait till the season is over?

If he knows there is a new AD and Heath is on the hot seat immediately, why not wait till that scenario plays out. A few more weeks doesn't change anything

Does the sad face mean that maybe he is being encouraged to go?

The timing seems odd, but nothing official I guess.