• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Hans Straub Effect

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725
  • Days Won:  0

Steven Bench at 220 is big. Wonder what White is at now.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

Steven Bench at 220 is big. Wonder what White is at now.

Prolly 120, up 10 lbs from last year... : )

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  162
  • Days Won:  1

Glad to see that Bench is getting stronger. Following him on Twitter it also looks like he has built up some camaraderie with the team. He's a coach's son, so it's a safe bet he has done the mental work to improve too. White should be in fear for his job.

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Nice news for a change

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Good to hear. Let's hope the hard work pays off on the field.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Shouldn't every kid beat their PR every year?

Easier said than done. I'm guessing you don't do much weight lifting? Excuse my question if I am wrong.

It's just that there are physical plateau's at every stage, it's all about how you dig in and get past them. Your body is telling you there is no way you can lift more than you currently are. That you are maxed out, done. People get stuck in these spots for months...and without proper training and work ethic, some never get past them.

Actually, it was quite easy for me to reach a new personal best every year from 18-22 working out for a college trainer for my team. I call ********. I'd be more concerned about the 10 kids who are going on 1+ years under CWT that can't reach a new PR after an offseason of nothing but working out.

Oh rly? I guess Arnold Schwarzenegger has no idea what he's talking about then when it comes to plateau's.

Thanks for the clear up JTrue.

And if it should happen every year, why wasn't it happening before? Why were these kids so weak? What was the S&C trainer under Holtz doing?

Who says they didn't reach personal bests before this? All the article says is that 52/62 kids are stronger this year than they were the year before.

And I was unaware Arnold reached his physical peak at 20 and plateaued for the rest of his life. Thank you for clearing that up.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-how-much-muscle-can-i-put-on-naturally.html

But it says here, someone on a REAL training schedule can gain 20-25 lbs. of muscle mass in their first year? And 10-12 in the second? And 5-6 in the next year? And so on... I wonder if that increase in mass leads to being able to lift larger amounts of weight thereby increasing ones personal best in a particular lift? Someone should do a study on that.

Anyone who played college football on this board that would like to chime in, feel free to let me know if its unreasonable to assume a college athlete should be able to get stronger each year from 18-22.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

What was the S&C trainer under Holtz doing?

Not much, Coach Golden wasn't even keeping track of the players' 40 times. That seemed ludicrious to me. After Ron McKeefrey left, S&C at USF took a total nose dive.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Easier said than done. I'm guessing you don't do much weight lifting? Excuse my question if I am wrong.

It's just that there are physical plateau's at every stage, it's all about how you dig in and get past them. Your body is telling you there is no way you can lift more than you currently are. That you are maxed out, done. People get stuck in these spots for months...and without proper training and work ethic, some never get past them.

Actually, it was quite easy for me to reach a new personal best every year from 18-22 working out for a college trainer for my team. I call ********. I'd be more concerned about the 10 kids who are going on 1+ years under CWT that can't reach a new PR after an offseason of nothing but working out.

Oh rly? I guess Arnold Schwarzenegger has no idea what he's talking about then when it comes to plateau's.

And if it should happen every year, why wasn't it happening before? Why were these kids so weak? What was the S&C trainer under Holtz doing?

Who says they didn't reach personal bests before this? All the article says is that 52/62 kids are stronger this year than they were the year before.

And I was unaware Arnold reached his physical peak at 20 and plateaued for the rest of his life. Thank you for clearing that up.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-how-much-muscle-can-i-put-on-naturally.html

But it says here, someone on a REAL training schedule can gain 20-25 lbs. of muscle mass in their first year? And 10-12 in the second? And 5-6 in the next year? And so on... I wonder if that increase in mass leads to being able to lift larger amounts of weight thereby increasing ones personal best in a particular lift? Someone should do a study on that.

Anyone who played college football on this board that would like to chime in, feel free to let me know if its unreasonable to assume a college athlete should be able to get stronger each year from 18-22.

It's not unreasonable to expect gains from a college kid every year. The only reason why a kid shouldn't gain any more weight is if he is already in peak shape and gaining anymore weight would be bad weight. Fr, So and Jr's should all be gaining weight/getting stronger with our new S & C coach this year, it's normal.

Edited by CPR

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

I want to see it on the field.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Who says they didn't reach personal bests before this? All the article says is that 52/62 kids are stronger this year than they were the year before.  I would say Straubs quote about Price sums up any time training before this.

"...he was a highly talented guy and he struggled in conditioning and struggled in the weight room,†Straub said.

And I was unaware Arnold reached his physical peak at 20 and plateaued for the rest of his life. Thank you for clearing that up. I know you like to make things up, and as you can see in previous quotes I never said that. But thanks for being sarcastic. If you've ever read Arnold's books, which you haven't, you'd know he writes about the difficulties of plateaus and how to overcome them.

But it says here, someone on a REAL training schedule can gain 20-25 lbs. of muscle mass in their first year? And 10-12 in the second? And 5-6 in the next year? And so on... I wonder if that increase in mass leads to being able to lift larger amounts of weight thereby increasing ones personal best in a particular lift? Someone should do a study on that. Ah, a real training schedule. Unlike what our athletes had been on before. Our old S&C coach wasn't even keeping 40 times.

Anyone who played college football on this board that would like to chime in, feel free to let me know if its unreasonable to assume a college athlete should be able to get stronger each year from 18-22. I played division 1 college baseball. In all sports you are expected to get stronger, those that actually do have good S&C coaches

I can see where this is going, you love to nit pick an arguement until you feel satisfied.

You managed to type 3 responses, you attempted to answer 1 of my questions with a "Who says they didnt" 

Edited by Hem