• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hold on to your socks... Realignment may be a commin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I don't think I've seen anyone in the P5 advocating that they pay their players.  They generate no advantage financially by giving away all their hard fought monopoly money back to players.  They want to issue the players a stipend that covers the full cost of college.  More or less a bit of money above and beyond a scholarship.  The numbers being thrown around are in the $2,000-5,000 dollars per year level.  It's enough of a kick to cripple the majority of the non-P5 athletic budgets and not so big a kick to significantly impact their bottom lines.

The conferences are not advocating paying players.  That's a losing proposition.  Owners in the NFL make roughly 50% and the players make roughly 50%.  In college the owners make 98% and the players get scholarships that would make up about 2%.  They are not going to go towards increasing the players 2% on the slippery slope that is the professional sports model.

Every SEC coach voted yes to pay in 2012. http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/30/spurrier-sec-coaches-voted-unanimously-to-pay-players/

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I say we partition athletics from public institutions, all together. Colleges can run athletics as a separate business (barred from using public or student money to finance these programs). This way, 'the business' can pay athletes whatever they want... scholarships, stipends, salaries, etc...

That happens, then I and a lot of other people will simply stop watching.I watch USF sports because they're fellow students and will someday be fellow alums.If there's no emotional attachment, there's no reason to watch.

So you are ok with coaches earning millions but players nothing? Makes no sense at all.

Nobody's twisting anybody else's arms, this is not slavery, they're freely entered-into agreements.

If School A is willing to pay a coach $1m who am I to say they can't?

If School B wants to pay their students, who am I to say they can't?

It's a free world, and I am just as free to watch or not watch. If enough people stop watching, the economic pressure may cause things to change.

Every dollar you spend is one more vote for that product/ service to survive. The purchasers carry the guilt, not the sellers.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

we won't be outrecruited by every P5 school. first of all recruiting rankings are bunk. some kid sitting at a desk watching player videos all day can't quantify the difference between one 3 star recruit and another 2 star accurately. it's for entertainment purposes only. it's so people pay $10/month to brag about their recruiting classes. second, top tier academic schools will not admit marginal students regardless of their athletic ability.

I never said the top half. I said we would likely lose our 4 stars (2) and maybe some 3 stars.  non P5 schools signed a whopping 7 4 star players total. Northwestern signed 4. the top schools already get the top players. UF wouldn't poach any. not without giving up quality signees. neither would most of the top P5 schools. swapping out a few 3 stars for 2 stars according to rivals rankings would not be the end of our program.

You agree with me that we would lose our most highly rated players and you don't see how that would impact our progam specifically and college football overall?  I think most people see the writing on the wall here. 

whatever happened to carlton hill our 5 star QB? oh that's right he was beat out by a 3 star with no other offers.

what was the name of our first consensus all american? wasn't  it george selvie the no rated offensive lineman that now plays in the NFL?

what happened to that 4 star DT Searcy? how about Stirrups? wasn't he a can't miss 4 star? let's not forget mike ford. or david bedford. how about battles and bellamy? terrance mitchell?

fact is our best teams have been loaded with 2 and 3 star players. we have never relied on 4 stars. most of ours have been complete busts.

I'm no polyanna. I don't believe the sky is falling.

Yea what about 4* BJ Daniels he suc....oh wait

Or what about 4* JPP he....oh wait

convenient how you mentioned Terrance Mitchell but forgot to mention Todd Chandler

We should sit Sean Price too

And if you want to talk transfers we can throw in Dunkley and McFarland

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

Star ratings are the recruitings site's opinion of how ready they are to play football at the next level. Yes we have had a few 4* busts but overall they have a much greater likelyhood of seeing the field early than a 2* recruit. You can find exceptions to just about every rule, but you shouldn't put stock into exceptions as a foundation. Just like the lottery is probably a bad retirement plan even though some people have won.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Star ratings are the recruitings site's opinion of how ready they are to play football at the next level. Yes we have had a few 4* busts but overall they have a much greater likelyhood of seeing the field early than a 2* recruit. You can find exceptions to just about every rule, but you shouldn't put stock into exceptions as a foundation. Just like the lottery is probably a bad retirement plan even though some people have won.

4 star busts for us aren't exceptions. they are the rule. a majority of our 4 star players have been busts.

4 stars that actually work out for us and become better than average are the exceptions.

again we have never relied on 4 star talent to win. BJ Daniels was probably the only one that really mattered and in the end Holtz couldn't even win with him.

We have had maybe 3 or 4 4 star players that have been above average contributors to our team.

BJ Daniels, J Williams, Andre Hall and JPP. 3 of them were JUCOs.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

we won't be outrecruited by every P5 school. first of all recruiting rankings are bunk. some kid sitting at a desk watching player videos all day can't quantify the difference between one 3 star recruit and another 2 star accurately. it's for entertainment purposes only. it's so people pay $10/month to brag about their recruiting classes. second, top tier academic schools will not admit marginal students regardless of their athletic ability.

I never said the top half. I said we would likely lose our 4 stars (2) and maybe some 3 stars.  non P5 schools signed a whopping 7 4 star players total. Northwestern signed 4. the top schools already get the top players. UF wouldn't poach any. not without giving up quality signees. neither would most of the top P5 schools. swapping out a few 3 stars for 2 stars according to rivals rankings would not be the end of our program.

You agree with me that we would lose our most highly rated players and you don't see how that would impact our progam specifically and college football overall?  I think most people see the writing on the wall here. 

whatever happened to carlton hill our 5 star QB? oh that's right he was beat out by a 3 star with no other offers.

what was the name of our first consensus all american? wasn't  it george selvie the no rated offensive lineman that now plays in the NFL?

what happened to that 4 star DT Searcy? how about Stirrups? wasn't he a can't miss 4 star? let's not forget mike ford. or david bedford. how about battles and bellamy? terrance mitchell?

fact is our best teams have been loaded with 2 and 3 star players. we have never relied on 4 stars. most of ours have been complete busts.

I'm no polyanna. I don't believe the sky is falling.

Yea what about 4* BJ Daniels he suc....oh wait

Or what about 4* JPP he....oh wait

convenient how you mentioned Terrance Mitchell but forgot to mention Todd Chandler

We should sit Sean Price too

And if you want to talk transfers we can throw in Dunkley and McFarland

what have Dunkley and McFarland done that hasn't been done by a lower rated player? Please don't act like they are irreplaceable. Dunkley had 7 catches last year.

Price averaged 2 catches and 20 yards per game last year. in a TE friendly offense. yeah he really made a huge impact.

BJ Daniels was the only truly impactful 4 star that was a 4 year player. we had our worst years under him through no fault of his. JPP, A Hall, and J Williams were all JUCO players.

now list all the 4 stars or higher that didn't mean a thing to USF. the list is long.

we have never relied on 4 star talent.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

I say we partition athletics from public institutions, all together. Colleges can run athletics as a separate business (barred from using public or student money to finance these programs). This way, 'the business' can pay athletes whatever they want... scholarships, stipends, salaries, etc... 

Wouldn't they then have a more legitimate argument for unionizing?

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

That happens, then I and a lot of other people will simply stop watching.I watch USF sports because they're fellow students and will someday be fellow alums.If there's no emotional attachment, there's no reason to watch.

So you are ok with coaches earning millions but players nothing? Makes no sense at all.

Kinda like the CEO of a large corporation? Players compensation now is not zero$$$.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  163
  • Days Won:  1

...This whole controversy is about less than 100 schools with 85 football players and 15 (men's) basketball players. Total 10,000 max

Any way you cut it, we're talking about a TINY minority of students...

I think you are overlooking the Title IX issue that will inevitably arise. If that door is opened it can't be shut and it will not be the last. It will be hard to not consider players as employees if they are collecting a "paycheck." The snowball will keep rolling until it is full-blown professional sports with college names attached. ...or maybe not. I'm not a labor law expert.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

...This whole controversy is about less than 100 schools with 85 football players and 15 (men's) basketball players. Total 10,000 max

Any way you cut it, we're talking about a TINY minority of students...

I think you are overlooking the Title IX issue that will inevitably arise. If that door is opened it can't be shut and it will not be the last. It will be hard to not consider players as employees if they are collecting a "paycheck." The snowball will keep rolling until it is full-blown professional sports with college names attached. ...or maybe not. I'm not a labor law expert.

I'm on record in other similar threads with the comment that Title 9 is the 900-pound gorilla in the room. No way in the world will they be allowed to pay men only.

In any event my comment was about the ludicrous potential of this causing college sports to become detrimental to U.S. education