• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I'm really glad OCS was brought up again. 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

I think your optimal AD candidate has to be the person that wants to fight for what is best for the program. It's not OCS vs. P5. It's both in my opinion.

We have more control over OCS than P5. New AD may think OCS is necessary to attract P5. I don't think an OCS would hurt the cause.

As an alum and booster I would at the very least like to see a feasibility study to see what the options are. I'm sure it's been done. Then let the people decide. If enough people want it then we will donate, buy tickets, seat deposits, etc. If not, then we stay at Ray Jay.

My opinion is that most want a true college atmosphere and the pride and tradition that only comes with tailgating and playing on campus. With that will come future students and athletes that feel the same way. The hope then is for the ones that don't want it now to realize what we are missing when we do get it and to embrace it. Everyone wins.

Doug seemed to have the policy of not talking about it. I often thought this was a spill over from the CJL days of not wanting it to be a negative in recruiting. In other words, if we say we want one then we are saying Ray Jay is not a good place to play. I just hope the new AD at least puts it out there for us to discuss as a Bull family.

Well put.

Agreed. I guess in my mind an OCS is at least 5 years away at best and the final P5 conference realignments will happen over the next 3 years.

Any who, I hope we get all 3.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

I'm taking the P5 guy so at least we have a chance to be relevant on a national level. If we have an OCS, but are still in the AAC we remain irrelevant. Our following and notoriety would be comparable to a local high school team. And those games cost $5 to attend.

Keep your eye on the 25 meter target....USF football needs to become relevant on the local level before it shoots for national relevance.

Yup, noted

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

I'm really glad OCS was brought up again. 

Anything to take our minds off last night ....

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

No, an OCS is not a must. There are plenty of schools at "that level" that do not have an OCS. It may or may not be helpful or desireable. But it is completely wrong to call it a must. There are several off campus facilities for P5 schools.

http://www.footballgeography.com/list-of-fbs-stadiums-sorted-by-distance-to-the-campus/

Nice try Databull.

Off Campus

25*

How many of those 25 are 1 mile from campus?

How about 2-3 miles?

How many are 4+ miles away?

11* (Actually 10 since Washington is only playing at the Seahawks stadium while theirs is being renovated)

We have the 7th farthest stadium in all of FBS. Who do we want to be like? Miami? Did you see their stands this year? EMPTY! They had a winning season too, that's pathetic.

Two things, they are still off campus and while we are the 7th farthest, there's a huge jump from 5th to 6th. UCLA and Miami seem to be successful programs without an OCS. So it is not a, "must have"

Because USF has a similar fanbase and tradition to UCLA and Miami. Such a comparison IS truly apples and oranges.

Arguing that there's space elsewhere, and that other schools with name recognition and prestige rely on space elsewhere and therefore so should we, are weak arguments IMHO.

You want to shed the perception that USF is a commuter school that's "mailing it in" when it comes to football? You want alumni to have a sense of pride and donate to athletics? Take the d**n football team out of the stadium with the stupid pirate ship and put it in one that is green and gold and devoted to USF and its fans only. Make that investment.

Yes, when the team was winning, there have been significant games with high attendance numbers at RJS NOTWITHSTANDING its swash-buckling ambience. Goodie. But don't fool yourself. If and when the money is there for an OCS USF should and probably will build it.

/rant

Miami had an off campus stadium well before they became the Miami they are now.  My point wasn't that we are like UCLA or Miami in terms of prestige, but that an OCS is not a, "MUST" to become successful.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Miami had an off campus stadium well before they became the Miami they are now. My point wasn't that we are like UCLA or Miami in terms of prestige, but that an OCS is not a, "MUST" to become successful.

Seems clear to me that it's not a "must," at least to the extent we can field a football team and sell tickets without one. Although, I think most of us who would like to see an OCS recognize that an OCS isn't a "must" if that's the standard. I do think it's important, however, for the future of the program.

Miami has always had space issues that steered them away from Coral Gables. We don't have that problem (our problem is financial). So I'm still not sure it's a fair comparison...

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Miami had an off campus stadium well before they became the Miami they are now. My point wasn't that we are like UCLA or Miami in terms of prestige, but that an OCS is not a, "MUST" to become successful.

Seems clear to me that it's not a "must," at least to the extent we can field a football team and sell tickets without one. Although, I think most of us who would like to see an OCS recognize that an OCS isn't a "must" if that's the standard. I do think it's important, however, for the future of the program.

Miami has always had space issues that steered them away from Coral Gables. We don't have that problem (our problem is financial). So I'm still not sure it's a fair comparison...

It is absolutely a fair comparison.  There are over 60 P5 schools.  How many of them have the option of playing in a quality NFL stadium?  Almost zero.  If you have no stadium option, an OCS is a MUST.  

RayJay is a nicer stadium than most college stadiums, and has the added attraction of being an NFL stadium.  A quality OCS would be a great addition.  But there is no need to rush into a building a glorified high school stadium when there is a high quality option available.  It was a MUST for UF, FSU, Alabama, even FAU.  It is a nice to have for USF as long as RayJay remains a top notch stadium.  An indoor practice facility is a much higher priority.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

My point is not why we don't have one, it's that we don't absolutely need one.  I would love to have one, but it would need to be much better than what UCF has for me to personally feel that it's worth it.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

It's not the venue people, ITS THE TEAM that needs all the attention UNTIL IT DOESN'T (conference title contender year in and out). Then worry about what to do with all the donor money success has brought.