• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Doug Woolard is gone

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,011
  • Days Won:  2

Glad He is on his way out, but as someone else pointed out, this really hinges on who we get to replace him. It's hard to imagine someone worse, but it's possible.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Helen Keller could run an Athletic dept better than the clown at the helm we currently have.

Edited by Dhambuc
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

CSH and CWT must have sharted in their shorts.

Soon to be a new sheriff in town.

Shaking in their boots, as they should be.

Bye bye

It's a new day

Bring in a proven winner and pay him

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Email from the U

USF Athletic Director Doug Woolard to Retire June 2015

University of South Florida System President Judy Genshaft and Athletic Director Doug Woolard announce his intent to retire at the end of his contract in June 2015. He will fulfill his current contract and complete several strategically important development projects, as well as assist in a succession plan and in the transition of a new director of athletics. A national search for a new athletic director will begin immediately.

Woolard was named to his current position in May 2004 and in his tenure at USF he has led a number of initiatives and accomplishments that allowed the Bulls' athletics programs to gain national recognition, as well as play a leading role in the American Athletic Conference and previously the Big East. Woolard is currently the chair of the American Athletic Conference Athletic Directors, a member of the NCAA Leadership Council and is on the Division I Athletic Directors Board of Directors.

“I have been truly blessed to enjoy a 40-year career in education and athletics. After Cherrie and I spent some great quality time with our family over the holidays, I have been visiting with the President for the last few weeks about initiating this plan,†Woolard said. “I appreciate the special partnership I’ve enjoyed with President Genshaft and I extend my heartfelt gratitude to all of the outstanding coaches, members of our administrative staff, generous donors, and most importantly, our wonderful student athletes. Cherrie and I will treasure our time at USF; we are Bulls for life!â€

During his tenure, USF’s student athletes reached new heights in academic achievement and the university’s athletics district was transformed with nearly $70 million in new or renovated facilities, including a $35.6 million renovation of the USF Sun Dome. USF athletics also produced substantial revenue growth that allowed the department to more than double its budget to $44 million.

The new campus athletics district, completed in 2012, ranks among the nation’s most expansive facilities enhancements in the last 25 years. The project completed without use of university or state funds, included new football and basketball practice facilities; baseball, softball and soccer stadiums; a wellness and nutrition dining center and renovations to the USF Sun Dome, as well as current tennis and golf facilities.

Under Woolard, USF saw its overall athletics NCAA’s Academic Progress Rate improve from 926 to 983 and both the men’s basketball and football programs made major gains. USF’s overall APR has improved each of the last seven years and the football team's APR ranked among the Top 25 of BCS conference schools in 2013.

Woolard also oversaw revenue increases that saw the athletics budget more than double during his tenure, expanded television and radio coverage of the program and initiated a unique educational partnership with Apple, Inc. allowing student-athletes access to a Macbook Pro computer each semester.

Additionally, Woolard has been engaged in involving USF with the Tampa Bay community to host numerous NCAA and Conference Championships, as well as assisting in positioning the Tampa Bay region for major college athletic championships including the Frozen Four and the 2017 college football championship.

President Genshaft thanked Woolard for his assistance in the upcoming transition.

“Doug has led USF Athletics with integrity and focus, as well as a deep commitment to our students, coaches and the entire USF community,†said President Genshaft. “He was instrumental in transforming our athletic district facilities and I want to thank Doug for his achievements in leading our program over these years. We’re very appreciative of his efforts on campus and his participation in the larger Tampa Bay community. We look forward to a bright future ahead.â€

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Wow. I still can't believe USF is doing this proactively.

Wait...

Did he slap somebody?

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

Is the bad news that the guy we hired from FAU is going to be our new AD? We can't be that incompetent can we???

Stan Heath better start his search as well, (Esp after last nights game and the season so far). Bye Stan It was nice knowing you

Coach T better fix the "Bus" or he will be parked in the Junk Yard after another season like this past one. 

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

He still has a contract that has to be honored, what else do you expect? If McMurphy's report is true (and we all know how that goes), then he has been demoted and forced to face the fact that he hasn't done a good enough job. And a new AD will take his place. That's the best possible outcome for USF fans.

I would presume, dangerous word, there was a buyout clause in the contract.  The best possible outcome would be to utilize that buyout, if it does exist, and not be on the hook for his outrageous salary and bonuses for the next year and a half.

Remember ontop of his salary we will now need to place the new ADs salary; essentially by keeping him on payroll we may limit the pool of candidates that we can afford.

Eh, if somebody has details then I stand to be corrected, but until that comes I'm going to assume that even if he does have a buyout clause, it's not enough of a difference that you can say keeping him on staff for another year costs the university much more money.

CSH and CWT must have sharted in their shorts.

Soon to be a new sheriff in town.

Shaking in their boots, as they should be.

Bye bye

It's a new day

Bring in a proven winner and pay him

Yeah, because USF is swimming in cash, and the reason a "proven winner" doesn't coach here is because Woolard refused to pay him.

Stan Heath was about as much of a "proven winner" as USF can get.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Still waiting on part 2. Can't be a replacement announcement if "a national search" has just begun. This is big enough, not feeling super about what's coming...

edit: Hem, you're killing us here...

Edited by raptorcj

Im thinking Stan is a deadman walking and the other piece of the puzzle