• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MBBall: what do we know so far?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Here's what I see.

1) The team has to decide if AC is going to return and play healthy or get Josh some minutes.

I think without a true point guard, it all falls apart, be it turnovers or whatever else. If not that, Allen needs to do a better job. He looked like somebody stole his lunch running the point in the last game. I've never seen him play so poorly.

But we can't have an injured AC playing 1/2 of his speed and then being a liability all year.

2) Instead of starting both Egbunu and Perry, I say we go with either one first and play aggressively. We've been too soft inside. With two centers, we can afford to give some fouls (and bruises!).

3) Brock needs to start. He's better than having both Egbunu and Perry in the lineup. We need the speed on defense.

4) It's time to give Shemiye McLendon and Hawkins more minutes.

5) We need to be 10X more aggressive than we are right now. For the first ten minutes of the Santa Clara game, I thought we were Princeton or some other Ivy League team; we were really soft.

The upside is huge for this team. I just hope the coaching staff and the players realize that.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

We are one of the worst shooting teams that I have ever seen...teams just leave us alone on the perimeter daring us to shoot. Down low, we are real good, but those guys are drawing triple teams. If we could shoot, this would be a tournament team...instead we have some work to do to make the consolation prize tourney.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

We are one of the worst shooting teams that I have ever seen...teams just leave us alone on the perimeter daring us to shoot. Down low, we are real good, but those guys are drawing triple teams. If we could shoot, this would be a tournament team...instead we have some work to do to make the consolation prize tourney.

+1 for the most part.  Don't think down low we are real good, just good.  We've been dominated on the boards some games by what you would assume would be lesser teams.  But with them being Fr I am happy with good.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

Coach should be having these guys do a practice or two of nothing but free throw shooting. Both of those games could have been wins if they had made even a fraction more of their free throws. Those are FREE points that bounced off the rim, backboard, or wherever. 

I think Brock comes in and plays better through his experience. I think CAJ should play his game and not play like AC when AC isn't there. I think having both of them on the court is a good thing because they can kinda counter each other. AC likes to slow it down a bit, and CAJ plays more up-tempo. Neither strategy is a bad one if the team makes good decisions with the basketball. Taking 20-30 seconds to progress through a set and come up with 2-3 points (or a foul etc. etc.) isn't a bad thing. But its bad when it takes 20-30 seconds because nobody can get open or someone throws up an errant shot. Those are as good as turnovers. 

I think Hawkins is healthy enough to play now, and I agree that McClendon should get more minutes. He played very well the other night.

I also think this string of losses should have awoken the team a bit. Now they have to play well against every team for a tournament chance.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Tournament chance? I guess there is an outside shot, but this team looks like a team that will struggle to finish .500

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Tournament chance? I guess there is an outside shot, but this team looks like a team that will struggle to finish .500

Our realistic tournament chance is to catch some lucky breaks in the conference Tournament.  I threw in the towel too early two years ago when we had our tournament run.  Well, it's earlier in the season (14 games in two years ago) and we have a better record (8-4 vs 7-7), but I'm throwing in the towel.  From what I've seen of this team, we're not going to the Tourney.  Sure things can change, but we're struggling with bad teams and losing to mediocre teams.  

I'll still watch the games and cheer for the Bulls, but my expectations hopes are not going to be met.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

I think our December 31st game will let us know what our chances are. I think if we get blown out by Memphis, we don't really have a chance.

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

Shooting

• Unless there is a miracle with shooting this team may not see post season play. 
  • The overall three point shooting for this team is terrible 28%. This causes teams to double team the post players.

Post Players

• Regarding the post players teams will continue to foul Chris Perry. He is 17 for 41 from the free throw line.
  • BOX OUT!!! <- Nothing else needs to be said here.

Guard Play

• I believe Allen Jr. was over thinking the situation in Vegas.  Not sure what was going on there. He did not play anything like how he played in the beginning of the season.
  • If Collins is not ready leave him on the bench and let McLendon play backup.
  • Abdul-Aleem, Hawkins, Allen Jr, Collins, and McLendon  need to take more 3 point shots.  Not going to hit shots that are not taken and they will not get better at hitting shots if they don't shoot them.

This is a good defensive team the problems are on offense. (Wait am I thinking about football, nope this is basketball)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Coach should be having these guys do a practice or two of nothing but free throw shooting. Both of those games could have been wins if they had made even a fraction more of their free throws. Those are FREE points that bounced off the rim, backboard, or wherever. 

Not both games ... If they had shot 45.8% on Monday instead of 37.5%, they win. Sunday, though, they could have gone 100% instead of 80% and still lost by 2.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Trip is correct, the issues and problems extend beyond FT shooting.