• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart vows "it will get better"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

As far as the vowing to get better... I mean it's pretty much impossible to get worse? I know I've mentioned this a lot lately but 6 wins over the last 33 games and the conference gets even worse next season. I think it's going to be a really rough season once again though especially considering all that we are losing on the defensive side of the football in Lattimore, Lynch (maybe not), Giddins, Forte, Saegar, Mims, etc. I'd be shocked if we're anything better than a 4-8 football team next year but it'll at least be a step in the right direction...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

He's brutally honest and set in his ways and I respect the hell out of him for it.  I like a coach who has a vision and is willing to work to see it through.  Could he have run the spread this year?  Sure.  Would it have won him more games?  Debatable.  But it wouldn't have made sense to run the spread for his vision going forward so he decided to run his offense and prepare these guys for the future.  He knows he has some time to work and he's willing to put in that time to make the program better going forward. 

He's working on building a lasting program.  You can't ask much more than that. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  124

Tags need to get some stud juco lineman to run his offense effectively and turn this program around. Hoping that the team will at least win 6 games in year two.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

you have to be pretty bad  not to field a competitive team at usf

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Are you people even reading the article or just commenting on the thread topic at this point? Some of these replies are terrible (smazza's replies do not count, as they are always terrible)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  937

I think tags knows what part of his offense is lacking. He wants to run his own style no matter the personnel.

I was a little more optimistic then some on this board at the beginning of the year.  I didn't really consider the scheme to effect wins/losses. I figured we tighten up on D ( no soft coverage packages) and we'd win all the close games we lost.

I will continue to be optimistic through NSD and first half of next season. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

"I do think the infrastructure part of things is going well, such as the way we go about going to class, to meetings and to the weight room," Taggart said.

This is the line I think tells the story. This team is too weak to bully anybody.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

As long as he is a strong recruiter, I will give him the benefit of the doubt! 

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Article from Bradenton Herald

http://www.bradenton.com/2013/12/15/4889988/college-football-manatees-taggart.html

One of the problems for Taggart is that he inherited a team whose personnel was geared more for running the spread than his type of offense.

"Our biggest demise this past season is that we didn't run the ball well enough and were not efficient enough," Taggart said. "We were not big enough and not strong enough and we were trying to do what we're doing with spread personnel. We have to recruit players that fit our system, but we also want to develop the guys that are here. You can't always count on freshmen."

Taggart's biggest problem was lack depth on the offensive line, the core to his offense.

He was successful using a variety of running backs at his previous stops, including with little Bobby Rainey at WKU and the bulky Toby Gerhart at Stanford, because he had an offensive line that was efficient.

"We didn't have competition on the offensive line and that was huge," Taggart said. "Getting bigger and stronger up front is crucial and I am a firm believer that competition makes you better."

'I have a plan'

Some people called out for Taggart to run a different offense that emphasizes the spread or less reliance on the running.

"I have a plan, a vision and patience to see it through and we are going to see it through," Taggart said. "We are not changing. How can we get better if we change? We are not trying to be like everyone else. We are trying to do what we do. This offense works."

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2013/12/15/4889988/college-football-manatees-taggart.html#storylink=cpy

I'm not convinced.

Great coaches adapt their scheme to the strengths of the players they have. Willie hasn't done this. 

Only time will tell if he can recruit well and adapt the players to fit his scheme, or if his scheme is actually one that can win consistently.

I hope so, but it's in my DNA as a Bulls fan to be disappointed...

Wrong.

Great coaches WIN.

Some do so by changing the scheme, others don't.

Not the first year

So true. Some of these folks would have fired Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, and Jimmy Johnson after the first year..

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I think we can all agree that we want a coach that wins. I do appreciate his candor in the article though. Just stay the course and I think we'll see some wins soon.

Am I the only person on this board who has never listened to a postgame press conference or interview from a coach? I can count the number of times I've heard CWT or even CSH speak. I watched with passing interest when they had their introduction and thats about it. And I'm not saying that to be a d-bag, I just don't understand what is to be gained. Doesn't every coach say just about the same thing after a win and after a loss? Or try to instill some confidence going into the next season, etc.? Like when signing day rolls around, won't CWT tell us he's excited about the guys coming on board and that he got the guys he wanted? Its not like he's going to say, "...well, we got a ****** class, my bad" or "...you know, I like most of the guys we pulled, but a few of them are just filler. I had some scholarships available and I figured what the hell?" 

Some coaches say different things. Some apologize to fans and the school for poor performances (Taggart did that this year after McNeese State), or some like Skip Holtz stand up there and don't say anything worth a crap other than "I'm proud of the way our team fought and competed" after a poor performance that resulted in a 30 point loss. But yea, there are a lot that have the same coach speak of "the players aren't trusting the system" (Taggart said this plenty of times) which I think is just a terrible excuse but whatever.

Like I said, I get the curiosity factor or just wanting to hear the coach speak, but why the analysis? I guarantee you, if Skip had won more games you wouldn't be criticizing his press conferences. Look at Bobby Bowden. When he was cleaning house and racking up the wins, his interviews were funny. But as soon as they started losing, the fans were tired of his "aw shucks, they have some good football players on the other side and they just whooped us" routine.