• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Allen Jr., Bulls Get to 4-0 by Holding Off Stetson

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,091
  • Days Won:  469

Allen Jr., Bulls Get to 4-0 by Holding Off Stetson

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA – Corey Allen Jr. and the Bulls improved to 4-0 by holding off sharp-shooting Stetson, 72-63, before a crowd of 3,782 at the Sun Dome on Friday night.

Allen Jr. scored 14 of his team-high 19 points in the second half while star point guard Anthony Collins finished with 15 points after going 3-for-4 from 3-point range. Martino Brock added 10 points as USF got a big challenge before Monday’s showdown with No. 7/9 Oklahoma State at the Sun Dome.

“We were very fortunate to win this game. Stetson really played well and I thought they outplayed us in a lot of areas,” head coach Stan Heath said.

Stetson (0-5) shot 53 percent from the floor, outrebounded the Bulls, 31-27, and took a 61-60 lead with 4:30 remaining. Willie Green scored a game-high 20 points, Aaron Graham posted 15 points and Kentwan Smith added 12 points.

“Our mind has to get back to our defense,” Heath said. “They shot too good of a percentage and part of that was they had some unique matchups that created some problems for us.”

The Bulls forced 18 turnovers and a couple of those came at a crucial time, courtesy of Allen. A pair of free throws by Zach LeDay put USF ahead, 62-61, with 4:13 to play and the Bulls had a three-point cushion when Allen busted the game wide open with a steal and dunk past the 4-minute mark.

A Green layup cut the Hatters’ deficit to 66-63 with 3:11 to play before Allen came through in the clutch again with less than 2 minutes to go. The junior guard came up with another steal and dunk with 1:45 to play and added a layup to put USF ahead, 70-63, with 56 seconds remaining.

“Doing the stretch in the game coach Heath pulled me aside and told me to step up. That’s what I did,” said Allen, who continues to lead the Bulls in scoring in his first season with the program.

Link to rest of report

Boxscore, thumbnail below

USF 72, Stetson 63.pdf

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Allen can straight fill it up

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

Just looked at the stats.  The guards (Brock, Allen, AC) were all in double figures. Not much from the front court.  And 7 of 15 from 3 point territory.  Need to shoot at least that well on Monday.  7 points for Rudd?  against Stetson?  Wasn't there so was this one of his "nights off" he takes once in a while?

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just looked at the stats. The guards (Brock, Allen, AC) were all in double figures. Not much from the front court. And 7 of 15 from 3 point territory. Need to shoot at least that well on Monday. 7 points for Rudd? against Stetson? Wasn't there so was this one of his "nights off" he takes once in a while?

Rudd showed no intensity throughout the game. Of course this means that "Mr. Inconsistent" could have an incredible game Monday night.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Rudd didn't shoot. Period. I don't know where his head was at

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just looked at the stats. The guards (Brock, Allen, AC) were all in double figures. Not much from the front court. And 7 of 15 from 3 point territory. Need to shoot at least that well on Monday. 7 points for Rudd? against Stetson? Wasn't there so was this one of his "nights off" he takes once in a while?

Rudd showed no intensity throughout the game. Of course this means that "Mr. Inconsistent" could have an incredible game Monday night.

I would expect him to, with the cameras all being on the next game.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  937
  • Days Won:  0

Ruud was on the short end of a lot nit picky fouls.  He did have a couple nice block shots. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Ruud was on the short end of a lot nit picky fouls.  He did have a couple nice block shots

Including, I think, the game decider ... He definitely wasn't in it the whole game, though,as wasn't the whole team ... There was a point when we were being out rebounded by double digits.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,629
  • Days Won:  0

If we somehow beat OKL St do you guys think we'll be ranked or close to it?

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

If we somehow beat OKL St do you guys think we'll be ranked or close to it?

No, I doubt that. USF has yet to play anyone yet, and beating OSU wont be enough, Beating OSU is a big IF!!!