• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Redshirts blown

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Let the best players play. If they can help the team win burn them.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Yeah, the problem is definitely bigger than just that we need to infuse more talent. CWT also has been steadily battling the players that are prematurely checking out of the game, and hanging their heads--opposite of guys like Lattimore, Lynch, and Shaw to name a few. This team had a few hidden traps that coach is slowly trying to root out. Better him trying to figure it out than one of us.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

Some good passes on this film, but there are some very athletic catches made by his receivers, too.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

Were going to Have Coach Taggart for atleast 4 years. You cannot think our program can afford to replace a coach again so quickly. We will allow this guy to build this program. If cannot then he can go. He will need to land some big recruits in the form of offensive lineman and a qb who can succeed even with a poor team. We need that ONE kid to say I'm staying. Love the young guys playing.

Exactly.  Coach isnt going anywhere, he's not coaching to save himself.  He committed to putting a winning product on the field, he's using the best assets available to do so.  

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Yeah, the problem is definitely bigger than just that we need to infuse more talent. CWT also has been steadily battling the players that are prematurely checking out of the game, and hanging their heads--opposite of guys like Lattimore, Lynch, and Shaw to name a few. This team had a few hidden traps that coach is slowly trying to root out. Better him trying to figure it out than one of us.

if his work at WKU is any indication, the first year is pretty rough but it gets much better after that. Remarkably similar situations as far as winning over the locker room and attitude adjustments

Never met CWT -- ony watched his show so far-- seems like a soft spoken kind of guy. If he coaches anything like he played, we are in good hands.

I think this is dead on.   I was on the field during the warm up this weekend and we have some very good players and some that are just ok, but not ready for Div I.   Seems like it is a huge fundamental shift with these players and what Taggart wants to do. 

I just don't see how none of our QB's can move the ball, very disappointing. 

#14 Fidel could not make an open field tackle and let the guy stiff arm him.   It was truly sad. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  102
  • Days Won:  0

My concern for pulling the redshirt was for injury purposes.  Let's see, down Bobby due to injury, Bench probably should not have been on the field at all until he was ready to go from injury, and that leaves Floyd and White.  Oh god, not Matt.  Anyone but Matt.

IMO, putting White in was the way to go.  Let's face it here.  The team was 2-4 and down to Louisville (going be 2-5), also down 2 QB's.  At some point, one has to start looking at this as a rebuilding time.  Not just building for recruitment, but, also team chemistry.  If Mike White is going to be the guy.  Put him in with Tice and these other Freshmen.  Build that chemistry together.  The timing, the anticipation, the familiarity of the team with one another.  At 2-5 this is the best option that one has.

Going back to the concern.  The O Line is horrendous when pass blocking.  Saw several times when 4 down lineman were just blowing past the O Line.  So the concern here would be that a young Mike White gets beat up and hurt to where we lose him for the rest of the year.  Which will leave us with a gimpy Bench (due to injury) or Floyd.  Again, anyone but Matt.  Go wildcat for the remainder of the year with a WR before you go with Floyd.

It's a gamble.  Will the gamble pay off?  I think for next season and building chemistry with his teammates, yes, this year though, I would be concerned about the protection from the O Line.

One last thing though.  Now that the redshirt was pulled, there is no going back.  Mike White should start and get full playing time the rest of the year.  If CWT is building that chemistry and exp for next season, CWT cannot pull him out.  That will not benefit him, nor the team going forward.

And hey, you never know, White may in turn be that diamond in the rough everyone has been waiting for.  Only time will tell.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

also- for those who call this BURNING THE REDSHIRT-- technically this gives them the redshirt to use another year if needed.

Great point...kinda like we ALMOST had for Eveld last year, before the shortest season of any Bull (1/4 v UM).