• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Redshirts blown

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Until he finds guys that show that they want to play, keep burning them. I can't believe we can't find receivers that can catch consistently.

Doesn't it seem like that's always been a problem here

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Leavitt did it in 2004..played a lot of true freshmen...it appeared to pay off...and one thing I really noticed with Holtz recruiting was lightweight football players. That's fine if you can get them bigger BUT the previous regime did not do that

That and the inability to recruit speed at the skill positions

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

If these guys are the better players and give us a better chance to win then get the freshmen in there as soon as possible.

I would rather get these guys experience now rather than these young guys seeing the field for the first time next year and going through this again next year.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Tells ya  that Coach T is pissed off at the upper classmen,  Time to play the future, NO ONE IS Safe from seeing the bench.   

Not an Ideal situation to be in but this is about the future,  time to start planning for next year and the future. This is all about rebuilding the program that Skippy Poop left.  He left us in a huge mess.

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

Our Juniors and Seniors are not good enough.  Burn all redshirts if needed

This.

Stockpiling redshirts is only advantageous when you have the depth to do so.

Edited by BigShoop

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

I expect recruiting to be better each year, we need to improve NOW !

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

If these guys are the better players and give us a better chance to win then get the freshmen in there as soon as possible.

I would rather get these guys experience now rather than these young guys seeing the field for the first time next year and going through this again next year.

+1

older guys not getting it done. bring in new guys. saban tries to replace his players every year with new recruits. if they are better than what's in front of them then they play.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I don't have a problem with "blowing" a redshirt -- the whole concept was put in place to give some players a period of time to work through an injury but morphed into a method of giving them time to adjust to school and get a year older/stronger/faster. The last part is the one most people focus on and it is a completely valid method WITH ONE EXCEPTION. It is used to delay a players entry into the playing field because you have DEPTH ahead of him who is at the very least equal but usually better/more experienced than the true freshman.

While we did have 3 players ahead of White on the depth chart to start the year, one was a walk on (Eveld), another was a new transfer (Bench), and the other was playing lousy (Floyd). Between injuries and poor play, that lack of depth pushes the coaching staff to give it a shot.

Some ask "well why not do that at the start of the season?" Simple-- we didn't know that these guys would not produce in some cases (well all cases basically) and on top of that they started getting hurt. But it goes beyond that-- White was not ready because he hadn't had time to work with the offense. It isn't always about just knowing the playbook-- you needs reps running that offense. White will get all the reps they can give in this short week no doubt.

I would jut ask our fans to be understanding of the situation and not expect great things immediately-- especially on the road against a tough opponent like Houston is looking to be.

I expect him to make freshman mistakes. not expecting him to come in a be savior. I think we should be able to tell if he has what it takes though. hell I'd be happy with a completion percentage above 50% at this point.

95% of QBs will come in and make mistakes when initially gaining game experience.

that's why I like this move now. why wait for him to make them next year when we haven't scored a TD in last 3 games. there is no point in using the other guys if you already know they aren't the answer. let him learn on the field. he will have to do it eventually if he is going to play.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Game experience is more important if the future is riding on it, such as the case with Mike White.

We don't want a repeat of this year at QB.

Mike getting experience will help him develop much quicker. And if he has "it", he will rise to the top and be that much better next year.

The team, the fans, all of us are suffering this year. We don't want this ride repeated next year. Let's play the players who are going to be a part of the future. There's no more waiting around -redshirting is not a luxury we can afford right now, not at QB.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

I agree.This season is lost, and we knew this at the outset. It was going to be a rough year, no matter what. If the only talent we have is our freshmen, then we'll play them. We aren't losing ANYTHING by playing them. Moreover, Coach Taggart is bringing in the top returning recruiting class in the AAC. Will we have defections? Probably. But as long as Coach Taggart keeps showing a commitment to WINNING, I don't mind, especially on the offense. The players are going to get better. That's why you have practices and games. If this team shows some more progress, then I wouldn't rule out our chances against Memphis, SMU, and Rutgers. In the meantime, let's just keep cheering. We still have a future don't we?