• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Eveld's progress?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Based on CT's recent comments regarding Bench, Eveld starting in the near future is a likely reality. There has been lots of legacy negativity regarding Eveld with very little...lets say...current, critical anaylsis of his play...so lets undertake this endeavor shall we...b/c what else do we have to do during the bye :D

Yes Eveld started out poorly this year, his numbers arent great, last year was no better, and he is no Daniels/Grothe....OK!

What I would like to note is his play in the last two games.

Against Cinci game where he stepped in for Bench.

2 Qtrs,10 for 16, 0 TURNOVERS!!, 15 yards rushing, 122 PaYrds

What these numbers dont show but we are all aware of, are the number of dropped passes, especially TD passes on the money. Also Eveld actually picked up rushing yards on critical downs to move the chains. He got his bell rung several times during that game due to poor Oline play but showed some toughness.

Against Uconn:

4 Qtrs, 8 for 28, 1 INT, -7 Rushing, 106 PaYrds

Some might say that this proves Bobby sucks. Others will point out the dropped passes and poor Oline play, although I thought they gave Eveld time unlike the Cinci game.

My take is the dropoff from Cinci to Uconn is related to Eveld being nicked up.

He was definitely hurt against at the end of the Cinci game limping about and I believe I saw those injuries lingering in pregame warm up @Uconn. He was clealry worried about the rush, not seeing open recievers (can imagine open recievers!), being tackled by the turf (honestly Eveld has to be the least mobile QB in USF history), and doing that odd roll out to toss the ball out of bounds before actual pressure arrived. Moreover CT clealry stated in the post game presser that he knew that wasnt Bobby out there, which IMO indicates they knew he was a little banged up.

I still like Bench as the starter. If he can't go though I think the game we saw Eveld demonstrate against Cinci is more represntative of his recent progess and makes me somewhat hopeful. This is especially true if Tice can pick up more of the playbook to help establish the run while Shaw is out. I think Eveld can be a Brad Johnson type QB, not flashy or mobile, but can do enough to win you some games. If he can get back too 100% and plays a full 4 Qtrs like Cinci @63% CMP things may not be so bleak. How about that for some positivity!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'm glad that he's limited his turnovers, but my biggest gripe with him, is that he scrambles too early and it's always the same.  He scrambles to the right and then ends up throwing the ball away.  If I were scouting us, I'd have my left DE always contain.  Had UConn done that, they would have had 6 or 7 more sacks.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

The receivers share as much blame as Eveld gets here. They need to use McFarland more especially near the endzone he is a big time mismatch.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Seems like a nice guy. Probably should be running a scout team.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The receivers share as much blame as Eveld gets here. They need to use McFarland more especially near the endzone he is a big time mismatch.

Near the end zone? We did not get into the red zone against UConn.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

The one problem I have with Eveld is that he's got very little to run on. He's just not a guy who you can rely on for heavy QB play. I thought it was a major mistake, especially given how Davis and Tice ran, to make him pass the ball so much against a very tough UConn pass defense. 

His protection was fine against Cincy-perhaps the best it's been all season. UConn protection was okay, but it has it's issues. 

I wonder if his injuries are why we didn't see more of Taggart's offense against UConn. Perhaps Taggart didn't want to risk having his QB take hits on screen plays and what not. I saw the Taggart offense at work against Cincy-dump offs to the TE, positive passing on every down, focus on passing efficiency. I didn't see it as much against UConn, especially as McFarland disappeared and our WR just failed to put in any sort of effort.  

That said, it's clear that the screen pass is a strength of this offense-perhaps the best passing play we have. If our receivers put in some more effort, perhaps we'd see them actually winning some battles for fades and slants. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I know Eveld doesn't have the arm of BJ, but haven't seen hardly any deep fades to Davis from him. Davis is a freak, let's see him out jump someone.

I'd like to see him use a designed bootleg to the right and have him hit some guys on out routes. Use a WR far right that goes on a deep route, or bursts left underneath to clear out the right side. I can't imagine that it's that hard and if Eveld gets just a few seconds from the right side of the line, we could get McFarland or someone out there to get us 7-10 yards. I guess those are more pro throws to get them in front of the WR and away from the defender.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

he is not a d 1 qb

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  937
  • Days Won:  0

Couple years ago he threw a few nice fades to bogan havent seen any since. I agree with others don't think eveld is 100% but regardless he's not durable enough to take hits....

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

I'm glad that he's limited his turnovers, but my biggest gripe with him, is that he scrambles too early and it's always the same.  He scrambles to the right and then ends up throwing the ball away.  If I were scouting us, I'd have my left DE always contain.  Had UConn done that, they would have had 6 or 7 more sacks.

He doesn't see the field well.  Guys are getting open, but he is too indecisive with the football and ends up scrambling and throwing it away too often.