• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach T deflects critism of Eveld==White's not ready

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

It's not at all idiotic to believe that Willie Taggart is taking into account White's redshirt status.

It probably weighs very heavily in his decision making.

If he thought White was significantly better than the three goobers the team has had to try thus far, he would probably make the decision to burn the redshirt. But he's not going to put him out there just because he looks "as good" as them in practice, and therefore tossing him out in the game would be just one more roll of the dice to see if you might actually have something.

That's kind of what people want. They think well Floyd sucks, Eveld sucks and Bench sucks, who's next? Try the next guy, ya never know.

Taggart's not going to burn the redshirt in favor of a "ya never know" strategy.

Stop being rational this instant!

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Before you burn White's redshirt, why not go with Tommy Eveld, or even back to Floyd again?  The season is half over, so why burn a red shirt for 6 games?  White is not getting in the game unless Bench, both Evelds and Floyd are injured and cannot play.

Here is a major reason why we need Bench back in as QB.  He is the only QB who has scored any touch downs against D1 opponents.  The defense cannot keep bailing this team out.

Miami burned stephen morris' redshirt with 6 games left. UofL burned teddy bridgewater's red shirt well into his true freshman season as well. it's not unheard of.

It's not at all idiotic to believe that Willie Taggart is taking into account White's redshirt status.

If he thought White was significantly better than the three goobers the team has had to try thus far, he would probably make the decision to burn the redshirt. But he's not going to put him out there just because he looks "as good" as them in practice, and therefore tossing him out in the game would be just one more roll of the dice to see if you might actually have something.

That's kind of what people want. They think well Floyd sucks, Eveld sucks and Bench sucks, who's next? Try the next guy, ya never know.

Taggart's not going to burn the redshirt in favor of a "ya never know" strategy.

that's exactly what you should do. one guy can't get it done then go on to the next one. O'Brien at penn state subscribes to this theory. it's why Bench got reps there as a true freshman. it's also why they have a true freshman starting this year.

it's why we have young guys playing in front of older guys all over the field. the older guys aren't getting it done.

Edited by Bull94

we are not going bowling this year. what's the point in burning a kids redshirt? for the longshot chance that he is better than Bench? to go 4-8 instead of 3-9? i dont get it. 

We are not in total disagreement in that you put in whoever gives you the best shot at winning, and I do think that is Bench.

But how about this take... If I am CWT, I am  fully aware of Holtz' tenure, the current landscape of CFB realignments, I am thinking I need to get this team winning now. If White gives you the best shot to win now, I put him in now. IMO even if I think he is only slightly behind but has the most upside of all the QB's I put him in now, let him take his lumps, so that we are in a good position to win next year.

The fact that Eveld started against Uconn even though he was not 100% makes me believe White needs more time and that is what is keeping him out. No point in "saving" a redshirt if you arse is burned in a couple of years...

It's funny how so many continue to call for "the other guy" when no one knew anything about the "other guy (QB)".  Everyone wanted Floyd and spoke glowingly about his abilities, etc.. and then we saw the performance.  Eveld returns, granted without much success, and everyone wanted Bench.  Bench came in and during the FAU game and completed a poor 9 of 23 passes (39% comp).  Bench did improve in the Miami game, but didn't set the world on fire either going 13 of 27 (48% comp).  Now, Bench goes down to injury, Eveld is back in and now many believe that White's the answer without seeing the guy play even in a spring game.  USF has used 3 different QBs so far, and the results are about the same - although I think Bench performs overall better than the others.  So, there's more going on here with their lackluster passing attack than just the QB.  Let's figure that out and fix it before we throw in yet another QB and maybe doing that before he's ready.

you call for the other guy because what we have is the lowest rated QB in the country and he is a senior walk-on at that.

we are wasting valuable game experience on a guy that won't be here next year.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,291
  • Days Won:  0

It would be easier to recruit some good talent receivers if they see our QB who can play and pass. 

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

If we play our cards right we could go 7-1 in conference play for the first time ever.

What have you done with Bubba Bull, and how many jugs of Missisippi Mudd do you require to return him back to the Bulls Pen? :D

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

Before you burn White's redshirt, why not go with Tommy Eveld, or even back to Floyd again?  The season is half over, so why burn a red shirt for 6 games?  White is not getting in the game unless Bench, both Evelds and Floyd are injured and cannot play.

Here is a major reason why we need Bench back in as QB.  He is the only QB who has scored any touch downs against D1 opponents.  The defense cannot keep bailing this team out.

Miami burned stephen morris' redshirt with 6 games left. UofL burned teddy bridgewater's red shirt well into his true freshman season as well. it's not unheard of.

True, but neither of those teams were in complete disarray like USF.

Besides, Bench was brought in specifically to compete for the starting QB job.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

that's exactly what you should do. one guy can't get it done then go on to the next one. O'Brien at penn state subscribes to this theory. it's why Bench got reps there as a true freshman. it's also why they have a true freshman starting this year.

it's why we have young guys playing in front of older guys all over the field. the older guys aren't getting it done.

Which is why our fan base needs to stop calling for White.

Taggart  clearly is willing to put true freshmen on the field. If White was the best QB available, he'd be on the field, so - by definition - he's not.

By my count, at least 6 true freshman are getting starts or significant playing time, and I'm sure I've missed a couple.

Ward @ DB

Harris @ LB

Calloway @ DL

Threat @ OL

Godwin @ DB

Tice @ RB

True, but neither of those teams were in complete disarray like USF.

Besides, Bench was brought in specifically to compete for the starting QB job.

Bench was like choice 3 between FSU transfer and Arkansas transfer. He is not really a fit for this offense. he played in an option running offense in high school. his last year he transfered and played in a pass heavy offense where he threw for 11 TDs. I think we need someone more like white who ran something closer to this style of offense. 20+ passing TDs and a state title his last year.

louisville started 2-4  the year Bridgewater played as a true freshman.

Edited by Bull94

Which is why our fan base needs to stop calling for White.

Taggart  clearly is willing to put true freshmen on the field. If White was the best QB available, he'd be on the field, so - by definition - he's not.

By my count, at least 6 true freshman are getting starts or significant playing time, and I'm sure I've missed a couple.

Ward @ DB

Harris @ LB

Calloway @ DL

Threat @ OL

Godwin @ DB

Tice @ RB

if white and eveld are equal (and i hope that white is actually better or there is no reason to waste another year on him by red shirting) then white should be getting the reps for expereince just like the other young guys are getting.

if he is not a better option than eveld then we are in trouble for next year as well.