• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach T deflects critism of Eveld==White's not ready

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

Why does everybody think White is the future? He may be, but people are acting like he is BJ 2.0....

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Not sure if this is coming across so I will state it clearly. The fact that we have not seen White this season means he is not ready. In a pivotal game @Uconn a <100% Eveld got the nod. So I think we can trust our coach's and move forward without calling for White this year.

The wrinkle I am making in my argument which many people are missing and it seems many of us differ on, is that I see no point in CT saving a redshirt IF AND ONLY IF White gives us a better shot of winning this year or next. It's obvious by the actions of the team this is NOT the case at the moment. So lets move forward with our QB situation this year and hope for the best.

Beat UCF!!   

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Watching the post game interview Coach T was deflecting criticism of Eveld, such as "that wasn't Bobby" etc. I am pretty sure Eveld was playing a little hurt this past Sat. against Uconn. Right before the Uconn game I believe I saw him limping a bit and he was definitely hurt at the end of the Cinci game with all those shots he took. Eveld is no runner but against Cinci he was making some plays with his feet. Coach T mentioned Eveld was focused on the rush against Uconn and missing open players, I think this further supports my suspicions that he was not 100% and therefore was not seeing the field as well as he normally does. I mean he's no butterfly but he look less graceful then usual ;)

I bring this up b/c during the game I was calling for White at the half but the fact that Eveld came back out makes me think that White is not ready. Its idiotic to think its b/c they don't want to burn his redshirt. They will put in whoever gives them the best change to win. I mean I am sure Taggart was looking at Uconn's frosh and was thinking I sure would like to have him over here slinging the roc. The fact that Eveld was out there playing at <100% means that White's not ready. Whether he need's to learn the plays, needs to put on some weight, whatever he's just not ready. The only way you see him go is if both Bench and Eveld go down...just my two cents.

We are not going to burn a red shirt on this train wreck of a season.

Bench is our guy this year, and he will be back in time for Houston.

If we play our cards right we could go 7-1 in conference play for the first time ever.

Um...how can you call this a train wreck of a season AND say we can go 7-1 in conference play in the same post? 7-5 and bowling would be a freaking incredible season no matter how you look at it!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Why does everybody think White is the future? He may be, but people are acting like he is BJ 2.0....

Since he is a true freshman, he, by default is our future for the time being.  i can't speak for anyone else but, I don't know what kind of QB he'll end up being.  I do know what we currently have playing QB and it's not good.  I've seen good things from Bench, but he's injured.

we are not going bowling this year. what's the point in burning a kids redshirt? for the longshot chance that he is better than Bench? to go 4-8 instead of 3-9? i dont get it. 

We don't know that yet.  I've always have said only play White if he has a chance to save the season and get us to at least 6 wins.

^This. No one is suggesting to play White just to pray he is our savior. The fact that he is not in means in the coaches eyes he is not the answer at this time. 

No point in "saving" a redshirt if you arse is burned in a couple of years...

You make this sound as if it's a given that he'll be gone after a couple years.

IMO, we have got to stop making assumptions like that, or like the assumption that burning White's redshirt is going to solve all our woes. It's just so funny how so many of us assume an unknown, untested QB just out of high school is automatically the answer just because he hasn't had a chance to instantly be amazing (or fail).

Roll with Bench first and then Eveld the rest of the way, hope we can get another solid QB recruit in the offseason and throw White into the mix next year to see what happens.

Exactly. UConn just started a true frosh QB, how'd that go?

Actually I thought Boyle not only played a better overall game than Eveld (minus some of those forced throws at the end), but his numbers were very deceiving and 3-4 of those dropped passes would have been TDs for Uconn.

You don't hold back a frosh just b/c he's a frosh...

``

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

Before you burn White's redshirt, why not go with Tommy Eveld, or even back to Floyd again?  The season is half over, so why burn a red shirt for 6 games?  White is not getting in the game unless Bench, both Evelds and Floyd are injured and cannot play.

Here is a major reason why we need Bench back in as QB.  He is the only QB who has scored any touch downs against D1 opponents.  The defense cannot keep bailing this team out.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Watching the post game interview Coach T was deflecting criticism of Eveld, such as "that wasn't Bobby" etc. I am pretty sure Eveld was playing a little hurt this past Sat. against Uconn. Right before the Uconn game I believe I saw him limping a bit and he was definitely hurt at the end of the Cinci game with all those shots he took. Eveld is no runner but against Cinci he was making some plays with his feet. Coach T mentioned Eveld was focused on the rush against Uconn and missing open players, I think this further supports my suspicions that he was not 100% and therefore was not seeing the field as well as he normally does. I mean he's no butterfly but he look less graceful then usual ;)

I bring this up b/c during the game I was calling for White at the half but the fact that Eveld came back out makes me think that White is not ready. Its idiotic to think its b/c they don't want to burn his redshirt. They will put in whoever gives them the best change to win. I mean I am sure Taggart was looking at Uconn's frosh and was thinking I sure would like to have him over here slinging the roc. The fact that Eveld was out there playing at <100% means that White's not ready. Whether he need's to learn the plays, needs to put on some weight, whatever he's just not ready. The only way you see him go is if both Bench and Eveld go down...just my two cents.  

Well put and agree 100%

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

we are not going bowling this year.

We can win 4 of 6 in this league.

Not if we play like we did Saturday. That game looked every bit of two of worst teams in college football.

I'd just like to see us knock off UCF or UL. A bowl game is very unrealistic

It was hard to watch.  Not the two worst but really really ugly.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

It's not at all idiotic to believe that Willie Taggart is taking into account White's redshirt status.

It probably weighs very heavily in his decision making.

If he thought White was significantly better than the three goobers the team has had to try thus far, he would probably make the decision to burn the redshirt. But he's not going to put him out there just because he looks "as good" as them in practice, and therefore tossing him out in the game would be just one more roll of the dice to see if you might actually have something.

That's kind of what people want. They think well Floyd sucks, Eveld sucks and Bench sucks, who's next? Try the next guy, ya never know.

Taggart's not going to burn the redshirt in favor of a "ya never know" strategy.