• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach T deflects critism of Eveld==White's not ready

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Watching the post game interview Coach T was deflecting criticism of Eveld, such as "that wasn't Bobby" etc. I am pretty sure Eveld was playing a little hurt this past Sat. against Uconn. Right before the Uconn game I believe I saw him limping a bit and he was definitely hurt at the end of the Cinci game with all those shots he took. Eveld is no runner but against Cinci he was making some plays with his feet. Coach T mentioned Eveld was focused on the rush against Uconn and missing open players, I think this further supports my suspicions that he was not 100% and therefore was not seeing the field as well as he normally does. I mean he's no butterfly but he look less graceful then usual ;)

I bring this up b/c during the game I was calling for White at the half but the fact that Eveld came back out makes me think that White is not ready. Its idiotic to think its b/c they don't want to burn his redshirt. They will put in whoever gives them the best change to win. I mean I am sure Taggart was looking at Uconn's frosh and was thinking I sure would like to have him over here slinging the roc. The fact that Eveld was out there playing at <100% means that White's not ready. Whether he need's to learn the plays, needs to put on some weight, whatever he's just not ready. The only way you see him go is if both Bench and Eveld go down...just my two cents.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

we are not going bowling this year. what's the point in burning a kids redshirt? for the longshot chance that he is better than Bench? to go 4-8 instead of 3-9? i dont get it. 

we are not going bowling this year. what's the point in burning a kids redshirt? for the longshot chance that he is better than Bench? to go 4-8 instead of 3-9? i dont get it. 

We are not in total disagreement in that you put in whoever gives you the best shot at winning, and I do think that is Bench.

But how about this take... If I am CWT, I am  fully aware of Holtz' tenure, the current landscape of CFB realignments, I am thinking I need to get this team winning now. If White gives you the best shot to win now, I put him in now. IMO even if I think he is only slightly behind but has the most upside of all the QB's I put him in now, let him take his lumps, so that we are in a good position to win next year.

The fact that Eveld started against Uconn even though he was not 100% makes me believe White needs more time and that is what is keeping him out. No point in "saving" a redshirt if you arse is burned in a couple of years...

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

I don't get if Eveld was hurt why not play our other QB who started the year.  I guess he has not improved enough or still has issues.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

We are not in total disagreement in that you put in whoever gives you the best shot at winning, and I do think that is Bench.

But how about this take... If I am CWT, I am  fully aware of Holtz' tenure, the current landscape of CFB realignments, I am thinking I need to get this team winning now. If White gives you the best shot to win now, I put him in now. IMO even if I think he is only slightly behind but has the most upside of all the QB's I put him in now, let him take his lumps, so that we are in a good position to win next year.

The fact that Eveld started against Uconn even though he was not 100% makes me believe White needs more time and that is what is keeping him out. No point in "saving" a redshirt if you arse is burned in a couple of years...

I agree with your take and add this.. RECRUITING.

Taggart knows that winning helps sell a program... to both recruiting and to the public (which in turn helps with recruiting.) 

If White was ready and better, he would be playing.  Again this sells to recruits that you can contribute as a freshman.  We've seen freshmen already step up and start at other positions

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

No point in "saving" a redshirt if you arse is burned in a couple of years...

You make this sound as if it's a given that he'll be gone after a couple years.

IMO, we have got to stop making assumptions like that, or like the assumption that burning White's redshirt is going to solve all our woes. It's just so funny how so many of us assume an unknown, untested QB just out of high school is automatically the answer just because he hasn't had a chance to instantly be amazing (or fail).

Roll with Bench first and then Eveld the rest of the way, hope we can get another solid QB recruit in the offseason and throw White into the mix next year to see what happens.

IMO, we have got to stop making assumptions like that, or like the assumption that burning White's redshirt is going to solve all our woes. It's just so funny how so many of us assume an unknown, untested QB just out of high school is automatically the answer just because he hasn't had a chance to instantly be amazing (or fail).

Roll with Bench first and then Eveld the rest of the way, hope we can get another solid QB recruit in the offseason and throw White into the mix next year to see what happens.

I don't think its unreasonable to think if Coach T rolls something like Holtz did, USF would look for a replacement, do you? But we digress, Coach T is looking to win and at this stage he puts in whoever gives him the best shot of doing this. 

I am being a tad lengthy in setting up the logic to my statements b/c we are on the same page... White is not in b/c he is not ready. Maybe we differ in that I would have played Mike if he was on equal footing as Eveld against Uconn this past Saturday if I thought he gave USF a better shot at winning the game.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

Let Bench, Eveld, and Floyd be our 3 strings of Quarterbacks.  I don't see the point in burning White's redshirt if our problem becomes injuries to the first two.  Why risk injuring a freshman that you hope might be able to run this system the next few years?  Plus think of the image we would have to recruits if we shoved White in too soon and he gets hurt or something.  That would be a killer for us the next few years.

Barring any huge injuries to all 3 of the aforementioned quarterbacks I say keep the redshirt.  We don't even have the guarantee that he'll do better than the first three. 

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

Exactly. UConn just started a true frosh QB, how'd that go?

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Pressing for CWT to burn White's redshirt is absolutely nuts, especially if he isn't ready, and you would think the coaching staff know whether he is or not.

If Bench, Eveld and Floyd go down with injuries, at that point you consider burning thge redshirt. 

The goal is to get the AAC championship.  No one knows until a player is on the field how he is going to do.  White has a very nice high school history, but again does it translate at the next level?   Again you have to trust the coaching staff to make the decision.