• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Not Ideal, But A Much Needed Source of Revenue

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Freeport is surprisingly expensive to get to. I took the 17 minute flight that reached a cruising altitude of 11,000 out of Ft. Lauderdale a long time ago on Laker Airways (long since gone). Went twice a couple years ago on a free deal, but those sorts of crazy things aside, the less than a half hour flight will often set you back $300 (on sale)

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Nassau is the better place in Bahamas to go to. Close to Paradise Island and ferry boats to more relaxing spots.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

I think that, by this time, we're pretty much numb to the nature of bowl games. We're so saturated with them that it's only forty-two schools that WILL NOT be playing a bowl game. Personally...if USF is in a game, any game, I'd watch it (doesn't necessarily mean I'd travel to see it, though). And I watch the relevant (BCS) games. That's it. As far as Houston and Air Force in the Armed Forces bowl...nah, not really got my attention. Besides, these also-ran bowls are good programming for ESPN. They take up huge blocks of time. 

I used to think there were too many bowl games. Then I started thinking about what is the 'right' number of bowl games. But if we live in the 'everyone gets a trophy' era, maybe we need to add twenty-one more bowl games.  :FIREdevil:

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Freeport is surprisingly expensive to get to. I took the 17 minute flight that reached a cruising altitude of 11,000 out of Ft. Lauderdale a long time ago on Laker Airways (long since gone). Went twice a couple years ago on a free deal, but those sorts of crazy things aside, the less than a half hour flight will often set you back $300 (on sale)

They have a fast ferry service that can take you there in 2-3 hours and is generally less expensive than flying.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

These bowls are wretched.

The fact these atrocious, upstart games refused to align with a single conference is further proof that market consolidation has demolished USF athletics and relegated USF athletics into a collection of random schools, the likes of South Alabama and UTSA.

All that happened these last few years was the Big Five picked over the Group of Five for parts (schools, bowls, tv slots, coaches, venues [think ACC and Madison Square Garden]) and left us for dead. . . . . . from here on out, we survive on the scraps the Big Five rejects to have for itself.

USF should reconsider its commitment to "big time" athletics or study independence.  I'd rather try and fail as an independent then "survive" in the Group of Five playing meaningless bowl games against other Group of Five teams in FAU's (empty) stadium, the Marlins (empty) ballpark or some (empty) Bahamian track stadium.

Extra football practices are nice, but what about a little pride, self respect and individualism.  IMO, athletics (and USF as a whole) needs those more than extra football practices.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,723
  • Days Won:  424

The fact these atrocious, upstart games refused to align with a single conference is further proof that market consolidation has demolished USF athletics and relegated USF athletics into a collection of random schools, the likes of South Alabama and UTSA.

All that happened these last few years was the Big Five picked over the Group of Five for parts (schools, bowls, tv slots, coaches, venues [think ACC and Madison Square Garden]) and left us for dead. . . . . . from here on out, we survive on the scraps the Big Five rejects to have for itself.

USF should reconsider its commitment to "big time" athletics or study independence.  I'd rather try and fail as an independent then "survive" in the Group of Five playing meaningless bowl games against other Group of Five teams in FAU's (empty) stadium, the Marlins (empty) ballpark or some (empty) Bahamian track stadium.

Extra football practices are nice, but what about a little pride, self respect and individualism.  IMO, athletics (and USF as a whole) needs those more than extra football practices.

Thank God you have no input into the decision making for the university .... and you know what pride and self respect encompass? Taking whatever situation you're handed and doing the very best you possibly can with it, not whining about what you don't have. The only option we have right now is doing everything we can to climb to the top of this mountain of "rejects" and see what happens in the future.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Thank God you have no input into the decision making for the university .... and you know what pride and self respect encompass? Taking whatever situation you're handed and doing the very best you possibly can with it, not whining about what you don't have. The only option we have right now is doing everything we can to climb to the top of this mountain of "rejects" and see what happens in the future.

+10000000000000000000000000

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

One other bowl to be played in the Bahamas, which in my opinion will not last long (somewhat like the Toronto bowl game that we took part in).

This is a huge mistake.  Though it sounds sexy and a great getaway in December, the passport issue will become huge for attendance.  A lot of people (especially students) just don't have passports and they are not going to pay $300 to expedite one to go to a football game (if that's even possible with 2-3 weeks notice).

Didn't used to have to have a passport for the Bahamas. State Dept says  you need one now.  They already host a successfull CBB Tourney down there. If you are whining about having to get a passport, you prolly wouldn't go anyway.

You can't read anything about it here, because they are closed

http://www.cbp.gov/

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Days Won:  0

Nassau is the better place in Bahamas to go to. Close to Paradise Island and ferry boats to more relaxing spots.

I've been to the Bahamas quite a few times and I agree. Freeport sucks.

Nassau/Paradise Island isn't all that great either in comparison to some of the rest of the Bahamian ports/islands but nonetheless is better for hosting sporting events.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

host it in Puerto Rico then, no passport issues

tell the bowl people I said so, that should be sufficient