• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

1997 OG Squad - who were your favorite players?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

Maybe try to lighten up the mood in here. 

Off the 1997 Roster, who were some of your favorite players?

Charlie Jackson always has a special place in my heart, that guy was just a great person. When my wife (girlfriend at the time) came up from Miami to see her first USF game, I asked him in the Fontana cafeteria to come over and say hi. He came over, reached up from the field and gave her a gentleman's handshake. Totally sealed the deal from there LOLOL

Bernard Brown I still see in Riverview, wonderful person. I still remember when he broke his ankle, that was a terrible injury. I see him occasionally here in Panther Trace coaching kids in the field near the pool

Jason Butler was just crazy, absolutely nuts. He was also one HELL of a softball smasher. He played softball on my team over at Greco. That guy could seriously smash softballs, dented a few of my bats too LOL

Lance Holtke was hilarious, girls went crazy for that dood

I went to middle school with Demetrius Woods, at Highland Oaks in North Miami Beach, but I moved over to Pembroke Pines and ended up going to Cooper City, while he went to NMB High

Larry Scott is a great person, I'm glad he got picked up as a coach at USF. 

What are some of your memories of the original 1997 team? I remember them all being extremely humble, extremely friendly students and I loved that OG team to death. Great people

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Man those names are a blast from the past. It was too bad Demetris Woods was let go from the team as he was very skilled against the competition at the time. I remember our kicker, Riggs, he was like the old man on the team of kids. I agree with you Charlie Jackson was simply a nice kid through and through.

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

C-Po #80

Edited by Blackice12
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,805

Went to high school with Tony Umholtz

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  185

Maybe try to lighten up the mood in here. 

Off the 1997 Roster, who were some of your favorite players?

Charlie Jackson always has a special place in my heart, that guy was just a great person. When my wife (girlfriend at the time) came up from Miami to see her first USF game, I asked him in the Fontana cafeteria to come over and say hi. He came over, reached up from the field and gave her a gentleman's handshake. Totally sealed the deal from there LOLOL

Bernard Brown I still see in Riverview, wonderful person. I still remember when he broke his ankle, that was a terrible injury. I see him occasionally here in Panther Trace coaching kids in the field near the pool

Jason Butler was just crazy, absolutely nuts. He was also one HELL of a softball smasher. He played softball on my team over at Greco. That guy could seriously smash softballs, dented a few of my bats too LOL

Lance Holtke was hilarious, girls went crazy for that dood

I went to middle school with Demetrius Woods, at Highland Oaks in North Miami Beach, but I moved over to Pembroke Pines and ended up going to Cooper City, while he went to NMB High

Larry Scott is a great person, I'm glad he got picked up as a coach at USF. 

What are some of your memories of the original 1997 team? I remember them all being extremely humble, extremely friendly students and I loved that OG team to death. Great people

"THE COOP" represent!! What year did you graduate? Have a lot of friends that graduated in '95/'96. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

^^ I graduated from Cooper City High School in 1996. Went straight to USF for the Summer B Semester. 

I never toured the campus, only been to Tampa once for a Busch Gardens field trip. I lived in the "Village" that summer, you guys remember those houses?

Had no clue where anything was at, had to go to the loading docks to get a phone book, and found a AAA stand in the University Mall that gave me a map of the area LOL

Only a couple of people from Cooper City went to USF with me, maybe 3 or 4. 

I had a great time in high school, don't get me wrong. But I'd trade all 4 years of high school for 10 more minute in Beta dorm LOL

Oh I can't forget Leon Matthews, because he was my roommate and was a great person. He had a gorgeous little daughter, and had pics of her all over his side of the dorm. 

And of course, Ryan Benjamin for getting me a ball used in the first ever USF game. I spent half my loan check to get it too. I'll post a pic here shortly of it

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Good to see a fellow Cooper City Cowboys on here. I'm class of 1997. I lived over in Lambda and Mu halls my first two years on campus. I never thought there were many CCHS alumns at USF, but the few that we do have, seem to be here on the Bullspen, which is pretty cool.

My favorite player off that 1997 squad was definitely Demetrius Woods. That man played with some reckless abandon. He was insane on the field.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Chad Barnhardt

Trevor Hypolite

Edited by South_Florida_Flip

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1

Had to create an account to make a comment to my fellow "Cowboys".  I graduated CCHS in 1986 and went to USF 87-91.  While we didn't have a football team then, we had USF Basketball which was an OK substitute.  We still had pep rallys etc.  (Think....Chuuuuckie  Atkins).

Had season tickets starting the first year USF had a football team and attended the very first practice of the team when Leavitt had portables for their offices off of the old soccer field, I believe.   We scored more points that first game than I believe we have scored all of this season combined. 

Regarding,  USF housing, yes I do remember the "Villages", and I lived in "Alpha" which was the Co-ed dorm and "Lambda" for summer semesters.  Good times.