• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Death of a true USF Bulls Super Fan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

we must have been at usf at the same time

You know Steve, the timing would be right as I believe he said he graduated HS in '74.  I don't recall him mentioning attending but it did not matter.  As noted above, the guy was very smart and could hold a conversation on just about any subject.  A couple of political subjects came up which I would normally not be inclined to take his positon but he can talk about the issues without parroting the boring talking points and can get you to at least look at the other point of view. He did this in a non-confrontational way.  I am sure you and others who did not have the pleasure to meet him would have enjoyed conversing with him. Not many people have made such an impression on me in such a short time.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Just a quick note to tell you all that I got a text from Steve's son-in-law, telling me he, Steve's wife and his family truly appreciate this thread, and the wonderful, heartful comments.  It's a tough time for them all, but to see the outpouring here is touching, and I'm proud to be part of the Bulls family, and happy to have gotten to know Steve over the years.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

Horrible news to wake up to this morning. Steve and I went to the USF-Army game up at West Point and stood through a driving rain with our USF flags on display for College Game Day that morning (there was more to that story, but considering I married a girl that graduated from West Point last week, I don't want to share my less than fond memories of that experience in NY). Steve picked me up at the airport with his daughter in tow and gave me the spare bed in his room that weekend as I was still a student and money was tight. He always said to me that if it wasn't for his wife's ability to make good money at her job, his support for USF wouldn't be on the level that it was. He was so appreciative of her hard work. Someone please relay to her that Steve never failed to bring up how much she backed him up during the good times and bad - because Steve would be the first to admit that he was as eccentric as they come and his passion for USF was beyond rabid. A part of me died today when I found out that Steve O'Neal had passed. There was nothing politically correct about Steve - and he would joke with me about how the ultra-PC USF officials wouldn't want to kiss his ass like other donors, but they sure did love taking his family's donations. I'll miss you buddy. We had many beers together over the last decade - it's 5:35 AM and I'm going to crack a cold one for you this morning. RIP Steve O'Neal - you will be missed sorely by those of us that could relate to you and your passion for the Green and Gold.

Love ya...

Terry

Faza - Yes, Steve had the tats on his arms.

I know his family is checking this thread, but when his wife comes back to work I'll swing by and pass your message along in person. I've never had then opportunity to work with her, but my office is located very near her's and will make it a point to say hi and pass our sympathies and your message. Edited by BullTiger

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,073
  • Days Won:  469

Reading through this, if it's boy too early to say, perhaps we should do as Steve would like. Let's be like Steve in our rabid support of the Green and Gold. Let's make a positive impact on other Bulls fans - help build a true Bulls community of support.

It sounds as if we can all learn a thing or two from Steve, if we hadn't already.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Sorry to hear of the loss of a fellow Bull family member.  Condolences to his family. 

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693

For those of you/us that followed Greg Auman's Blog, with heavy heart I learned today that we lost one of the biggest fans we had.  Steve O'Neal was a long time season ticket holder, ardent fan and outspoken supporter of USF.

Tragically, Saturday night, he was killed doing what he loved:  riding his Harley.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/valrico-motorcyclist-dies-in-mcintosh-road-accident/2143250

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Steven-O'Neal&lc=1543&pid=167126727&mid=5675744

Greg's blog was a lot of fun, and we enjoyed (and suffered) a lot of banter.  Steve was one of the guys that never hid his real name, or his love for our Bulls.  This year, he made Dickie shirts for Coach Taggart, and some of his close friends & family...and proudly texted me a picture of him posing with Coach Taggart, holding the shirts.  I sat with Steve at the FAU game, and while I was stunned at how bad our Bulls were, he assured me better days were ahead and that we'd just have to make tailgating that much more exciting.

One week later, he was gone. I'd ask that we all take a pause to think of how blessed we truly are, and to appreciate that it can all be gone in a blink of an eye.  Please join me in sending prayers to Steve's family, and in giving Steve O one final "GO BULLS!!".

RIP, Steve...we'll miss you, Bulls brother!

My prayers go out to the family... but as a fellow biker one should know not to be out after dark.

90% of motorcycle fatalities occur after sundown.

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx#&panel1-1

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Steve was one of the most insightful and thoughtful posters on Greg's blog.  I loved reading him.  A true Bull fan without a doubt.  RIP and sincere condolences to his family.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

Reading about Steve's love for USF sports, family situation, UT football in the 70's, it sounds like we could be twin sons from different mothers. Thoughts go out to his family and their tragic loss.

Saw an obituary in one of the papers today that had how to honor him. I will post the info when I get to a computer unless someone can post it before then.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913

Here's his obituary listing. Nice to see the family has suggested, in lieu of flowers, for memorial donations to USF athletics.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sptimes/obituary.aspx?n=steven-michael-oneal-steve&pid=167145139&fhid=5953#sthash.l6v0HjeK.dpbs

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

Horrible news.  I know the name, but I could not place the face until I saw the picture in the obituary.  I know I met Steve in the early days of USF football - either at a game or a watch party.  Nice guy.

Condolences to his family.