• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Call me an optimist but I like it

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

If you dig back into their threads, both committed after the CWT hiring, but both had us in their top three before the season started. 

which means I give CWT credit for recruiting them.  There have been PLENTY of kids that have had USF in their top 3 and not end up here.  

But Holtz gets no credit for keeping them interested through the entire 2012 season? Or do we just assume they were never going to come to USF until CWT called them up?

Do you also give CWT credit for not keeping AW?

IIRC Godwin actually tried to commit to USF under Holtz and Holtz and Co. spurned him, which is when he committed to Minnesota

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

The Twits at the Orlando Sentinel now have USF as the worse team in college football.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-college-football-25-worst-teams-0920,0,4518732.photogallery?index=os-no-1-usf-20130919

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  38
  • Days Won:  0

Agree. Another thing to consider is the fact that several freshman have really outshined some of the upperclassmen. The freshmen were recruited by Taggart. I really think he is going to build something special, but there is only so much he can do with what he has right now. You can't polish a turd. :)

Pretty sure most of the freshman were recruited by Holtz and stuck around when CWT was hired.

I credit Taggart for closing the deal on LB Nigel Harris, DB Johnny Ward and DB Nate Godwin.  DB Torrel Saffod and QB Steven Bench are both transfers, but were recruited by Taggart.  Regardless, Holtz left the cupboard pretty bare.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=209263366

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/commitments/2013/southflorida-655

Edited by USFguy1977

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I heard Manziel tried to committ, but Holtz wouldn't take it.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Brion Carnes situation was different. Carnes said he was committed, but he took a visit to Nebraska against the wishes of USF coaches. When Carnes had the falling out with USF, he committed to WKU. Then he decommitted when Nebraska gave him an offer. If he had still been a USF "commit", he'd have dumped USF when he got the official Nebraska offer.

Committed players take visits all the time. It was a big issue when holtz rescinded his offer. Had carnes left for nebraska, then thats fine. Because at least we would still have a good relationship with his high school. Instead, he burned that bridge

Holtz informed Carnes that it was a deal breaker if he went to Nebraska. Holtz needed a QB commit and either Carnes was committed, or he wasn't. Carnes decided his own fate on that one. 

And as for our relationship with Bradenton High School, I think CWT will do ok down that way.

And we did NOT burn that bridge.  Within a couple of weeks Holtz and Co talked to the Bradenton High coach and everything was fine.  Maybe you missed that article.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Brion Carnes situation was different. Carnes said he was committed, but he took a visit to Nebraska against the wishes of USF coaches. When Carnes had the falling out with USF, he committed to WKU. Then he decommitted when Nebraska gave him an offer. If he had still been a USF "commit", he'd have dumped USF when he got the official Nebraska offer.

Committed players take visits all the time. It was a big issue when holtz rescinded his offer. Had carnes left for nebraska, then thats fine. Because at least we would still have a good relationship with his high school. Instead, he burned that bridge

Holtz informed Carnes that it was a deal breaker if he went to Nebraska. Holtz needed a QB commit and either Carnes was committed, or he wasn't. Carnes decided his own fate on that one. 

And as for our relationship with Bradenton High School, I think CWT will do ok down that way.

And we did NOT burn that bridge.  Within a couple of weeks Holtz and Co talked to the Bradenton High coach and everything was fine.  Maybe you missed that article.

everything was fine and we never got a player from there. never recruited there.sure they did it for the papers but if you think there was no animosity then I think you might be naive.

bring in their QB and that might have opened up our recruiting bigtime. get one and the rest will follow.

According to maxpreps Manatee is #23 in the nation...#4 in Florida behind Miami Washington (#1 Nationally) Miami Central (9 Nationally) and University School Fort Lauderdale (16 Nationally)...I know at one time during the last 2 or 3 seasons Manatee was ranked #1 Nationally...so I think having a good relationship with them is important

B-Manatee was #1 in the nation one or two years while Holtz was here.

certainly someone you want an established good relationship with.

And we did NOT burn that bridge. Within a couple of weeks Holtz and Co talked to the Bradenton High coach and everything was fine. Maybe you missed that article.

everything was fine and we never got a player from there. never recruited there.sure they did it for the papers but if you think there was no animosity then I think you might be naive.

bring in their QB and that might have opened up our recruiting bigtime. get one and the rest will follow.

If their QB had wanted to come to USF, he'd be here. Or is it Holtz's fault Carnes is related to a Husker legend?

And we did NOT burn that bridge. Within a couple of weeks Holtz and Co talked to the Bradenton High coach and everything was fine. Maybe you missed that article.

If their QB had wanted to come to USF, he'd be here. Or is it Holtz's fault Carnes is related to a Husker legend?

Holtz pulled his offer. you see he needed it for someone more important like J Gumby.

Instead of trying to get the most important player on one of the top teams in the country (for what it's worth i didn't think Carnes was going to be a college QB-but he could have recruited his buddies B-Manatee for us), he decided to pull the offer when the kid wanted to look around after a coaching change.it was beyond dumb.

That's exactly right. Holtz used the scholarship Carnes didn't want to bring in another QB. Since it was 2 weeks before signing day that Carnes decided he was no longer committed, getting Gunsby to commit over offers from Florida and Kentucky was the best Holtz could do.