• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sold on Bench?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I thought Bench did some good things, but it looks like he struggled throwing deep outside of the hash marks.

Every time I saw him throw deep to the outside, the receiver was well covered, usually double covered.  Not sure who is going to fit that ball in there.

Actually, there was the one time a receiver had one step on the CB.  Bench threw it 30+ just over the CBs head right into the hands of the receiver.  It would have been a huge completion, lots of momentum and the pass was right on the money.  The Great One watched it go right through his hands.  The guys on the offensive line aren't the only ones that need to sit and give others an opportunity.

i said in beginning of years we had no qbs and bench would play

i didnt see the game but it appears our defense isnt that good

WE NEED TALENT

another embarrassing loss

You must not have seen the stats either. The defense was not the issue.

When the other team's defense out scores your offense the problem is clear

WRONG.  When the defense gives up that many points to FAU, then there is a problem.  Yes, subtract the points given up by the offense on turn overs, and the defense was still terrible.

Just because the offense is just pure putrid crap, it does not excuse the defense for terrible play against a lower level team.

Just imagine what UM will do to USF.  Just wait until the AAC conference schedule.  USF fans better get used to getting clobbered this season.

If you think that was terrible play by the defense then I'm not sure who's defense you are used to watching.  

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The defense played well in spurts.  They also had stupid penalties, which don't show up in the defensive stats.

The defense played well in spurts.  They also had stupid penalties, which don't show up in the defensive stats.

Sure they did, no one is perfect.  This is a new system with all new coaches.  But the defense play more than well enough to win the last two games.  Given how bad the defense was last year, the turnaround is remarkable and they are clearly getting better with every game.  To blame even one iota of these last two losses on the defense is beyond unreasonable.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

id like to see Bench behind a decent O-line to see what he can do.

Like to just see a decent USF OL...

It seems to me that our pass plays take a long time to develop.  Not that we shouldn't have long developing plays.  But I don't see a lot of quick hitters like we've seen in the past.  People used to make fun of the little WR screens and slants, but they were completions.  I saw Alabama and Texas A & M throwing a bunch of these to great success this weekend.  

Here we are with an OLine that is have difficulty keeping the pressure off, and we are throwing a bunch of downfield stuff that takes time to develop.  Not smart play calling, unless the QBs are not checking to the right play.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

I thought Bench did some good things, but it looks like he struggled throwing deep outside of the hash marks.

I am hoping that now that we have a bye week, they can engineer some offense around his skills.

I never QB'd but I thought Bench looked odd.  He released passes from all over, threw over the top sometimes, from the hip others.  He threw off balance a lot, sometimes from the back foot, sometimes from the front.  Maybe the situation called for it.  What I saw looked to me like a guy that would be great in a pickup game.  He seemed like he was in need of coaching to gain some consistency in his motion so that there can be consistency in his passing.

Have you watched Johnny Manzel?  Not text book.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

It seems to me that our pass plays take a long time to develop. Not that we shouldn't have long developing plays. But I don't see a lot of quick hitters like we've seen in the past. People used to make fun of the little WR screens and slants, but they were completions. I saw Alabama and Texas A & M throwing a bunch of these to great success this weekend.

Here we are with an OLine that is have difficulty keeping the pressure off, and we are throwing a bunch of downfield stuff that takes time to develop. Not smart play calling, unless the QBs are not checking to the right play.

Agree. The way to address spotty line play is to neutralize the rush with a short passing game, especially when they're stacking the box. Much was made in the offseason about the TE's role in this offense. Seems to be a problem of execution but I'm not sure how you fix it if your players just won't do it.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

I am hoping that now that we have a bye week, they can engineer some offense around his skills.

I never QB'd but I thought Bench looked odd. He released passes from all over, threw over the top sometimes, from the hip others. He threw off balance a lot, sometimes from the back foot, sometimes from the front. Maybe the situation called for it. What I saw looked to me like a guy that would be great in a pickup game. He seemed like he was in need of coaching to gain some consistency in his motion so that there can be consistency in his passing.

Have you watched Johnny Manzel? Not text book.

I haven't.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

I never QB'd but I thought Bench looked odd.  He released passes from all over, threw over the top sometimes, from the hip others.  He threw off balance a lot, sometimes from the back foot, sometimes from the front.  Maybe the situation called for it.  What I saw looked to me like a guy that would be great in a pickup game.  He seemed like he was in need of coaching to gain some consistency in his motion so that there can be consistency in his passing.

Have you watched Johnny Manzel?  Not text book.

Bench looked a lot like our previous two qb's, who I don't think were exactly text book either ... I hope these 2 weeks give he and the offense needed time to get more in a groove.