• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The real problem is...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

We have always had issues on the o-line... I don't know why we can't draft good ones.

Also agree with the wideouts... no excuse for all of the dropped passes. I could had done better.

I think it has to do with the type of offense mostly seen in FL, which is geared toward smaller faster o line. At least I thought I read that somewhere. And also its a lot harder to find athletic big men for the line. Its funny though. My dad and uncle were all conference tackles in high school in Florida in the 30s and 40s and were considered big at 165 and 185lbs.

In any event this is something that has to be fixed... hell Tag and Judy need to drive the O-Line down to CiCi's and force feed them. We need them bigger and more imobile.

Oh no, that pizza sucks. LOL  Or at least it did when I tried them several years back, had better frozen. More like Golden Corral. But actually I think the kind of linemen we want and need are going to P5, they are scarce. You hear skill position players all the way down to DII getting into the NFL, but not a lot of O linemen.

But I LMAO when I read this.

plenty of linemen come from schools outside P5.

Yeah, I guess you are right. Look at say, San Francisco's line, one of the best in the NFL.  You got players from Idaho, Oregon, Rutgers, Michigan, Ohio State and one guy from Central Michigan. So yeah, there are players from non-P5. But from what I understand that kind of lineman is mostly found in the mid-west.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

He tried to throw to WRs on slants, the receivers were draped. Those were the near INTs.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

He tried to throw to WRs on slants, the receivers were draped. Those were the near INTs.

I'd have to look again, but if there were slants thrown he waited way too long to throw them.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  848
  • Days Won:  1

If They don't throw the ball to Price and McFarland out of that double TE formation, they might as well just put two extra O lineman in those spots to block for the running game. I thought this new offense would get the ball to some big bodies over the middle. I also thought our FB would carry a few more. If coach T wants to be boring and grind it out that's fine.  

I'm not sure yet what our Offensive identity is. I know it's one that lacks productivity and commits false starts on critical 2nd and 3rd downs.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

4/26 ... 3rd Down Conversion

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

You're right you run the spread if your talent fits it...but another reason a team would go to spread is to hide the fact their o-line sucks and you get rid of the ball quicker into your skill players hands...so I'd hardly say its a myth but whatever helps you sleep bud.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,700
  • Days Won:  108

That being said, we still ran for over 100 yards....

You are correct...let's be a little more specific.

I don't think the o-line is that terrible.  What they did poorly in and has done poorly in is pass protection especially with blitz assignments.  I think it is more of a fundamentals and familiarity with the scheme than them not being big and talented enough.

A few times the guys were just letting rushers in untouched as if they were depending on someone else to block.

MSU only had 3 sacks.

not saying our line is top ten but Eveld does have a slow delivery and isn't very mobile. at least we don't go 5 wide anymore leaving our 5 linemen with an almost impossible task.

That being said, we still ran for over 100 yards....

You are correct...let's be a little more specific.

I don't think the o-line is that terrible.  What they did poorly in and has done poorly in is pass protection especially with blitz assignments.  I think it is more of a fundamentals and familiarity with the scheme than them not being big and talented enough.

A few times the guys were just letting rushers in untouched as if they were depending on someone else to block.

MSU only had 3 sacks.

not saying our line is top ten but Eveld does have a slow delivery and isn't very mobile. at least we don't go 5 wide anymore leaving our 5 linemen with an almost impossible task.

Pretty sure one of the sacks came when they put Shaw in motion and left the backfield empty. A safety or LB crept up to the line and came through untouched. You could see it coming from our angle and new Eveld was going to be in trouble.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  93
  • Days Won:  0

We have always had issues on the o-line... I don't know why we can't draft good ones.

Also agree with the wideouts... no excuse for all of the dropped passes. I could had done better.

I think it has to do with the type of offense mostly seen in FL, which is geared toward smaller faster o line. At least I thought I read that somewhere. And also its a lot harder to find athletic big men for the line. Its funny though. My dad and uncle were all conference tackles in high school in Florida in the 30s and 40s and were considered big at 165 and 185lbs.

In any event this is something that has to be fixed... hell Tag and Judy need to drive the O-Line down to CiCi's and force feed them. We need them bigger and more imobile.

....and add a little muscle.  We seem to have some interior fatties on both lines.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Do any of you realize how good that defense is?  Our offense is not there.

This defense was top-tier, but McNeese was not, and they ran over our line too. Floyd was pressured all day, contributing to his mistakes. NOT exonerating him, Eveld definitely does better under pressure!

Our offense as a whole is not there, absolutely true, and it troubles me a little that we KNEW that D was going to be coming hard, but didn't have a lot of plays to make them overrun. This is a good thread, though, I agree the line is where it all starts and we don't have much of one right now.

Can anyone imagine how Shaw would be shredding it if he had consistent holes?