• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Andre Davis has to sit.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  95
  • Days Won:  0

Back on topic, I hope CWT has Freakshow's attention this week and he has a big game on Saturday.

Godspeed in growing a pair, Andre.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

No receivers being Carlton Mitchell (who wouldn't have left if Leavitt didn't get fired), Dontavia Bogan, and Sterling Griffin. OK... I'd take those guys over the heap that we have here any day of the week.

As for QB, he would have had Daniels for 3 more years and had Brion Carnes coming in. He may or may not have panned out, but, the QB position wasn't hurting when Leavitt left. Evan Landi may or may not have ended up at QB under Leavitt. If I recall, he was splitting time in practice after Grothe got hurt so that he was ready to go, and, he looked better than Daniels at times in the spring games. So, 2 scholarship QBs and a highly touted dual threat guy coming in. Name me a team that is set at QB 3-deep?

As for everything else Leavitt... you're saying 3-for-10 on DBs... I hate to tell you, but, that's probably not a bad statistic, especially for a lower tier BCS team that can't just put on the logo and go out and get top recruits. Most schools lose guys, or have guys that don't pan out. T-Rex was a 4* DB if I recall, I guarantee you that Leavitt would not have moved him to WR and he would have been the next great USF CB. The difference between Leavitt and Holtz was that Leavitt could evaluate talent for himself, and, actually coach someone to improvement over the course of their 4/5 year college career. Leavitt would go out and get a 2* OL with zero offers and turn him into an All-American defensive end. Or, an athletic QB with no offers to play QB and turn him into an NFL safety. Or, a walk-on laughing stock who even the coaching staff made fun of and turn him into an NFL DB.

What I don't get is all the people who just can't acknowledge that Leavitt was a good coach, or, feel the need to put any fault for our current situation on a man who coached his last game here over 3 seasons ago. Our demise just has to be something else other than kicking him to the curb. That couldn't be it because apparently we had success in spite of Leavitt. Forget all the good he did, the rise to fame, the passion that he brought to our team and transferred to our fans. Nope, that top-30 class he pulled in during his final year of recruiting was far worse than Holtz did and clearly shows that Leavitt's recruiting was falling off.

Ok, this is getting way off topic.  But since you insist...

Leavitt's teams ran 4 and 5 wide sets all the time.  Holtz first season there were something like four healthy scholarship WRs.  If you are running 4 and 5 wide sets, you clearly need to keep WR stocked with 10 to 12 bodies.  Didn't happen.

If Carnes (who can't even start at QB at a DII school) had made it to campus, that would have been a grand total of two scholarship QBs, one of whom would have been a true freshman.  

Yes, real D1 programs keep more than one scholarship QB and a true freshman or two on their roster.

Leavitt did a great job building the program.  I loved Leavitt when he was here.  To pretend the program was in great shape and stocked with talent when he left is just not being honest.  

When USF got lucky and turned some fortunate recruiting and good bounces into national recognition, he should have turned that into deep recruiting classes.  He didn't.  He kept recruiting the same way, high risk/high reward.

That Top 30 class didn't turn out very well on the field where it counts.

PSSST>>> Evan Landi was a QUARTERBACK. 2 schollys + a frosh coming in. That would have been 3. Two RS sophomores and a FR to replace your BE all time yards leader who he should have had through the 2009 season. Landi was beaten out by Daniels, but, that didn't mean we kicked him off the team. Sure, he was working on 2 positions under Leavitt, that's what you do when you have an athletic guy that is going to ride the pine for his entire career. Just because he switched to WR doesn't mean he couldn't have gone back if we had an injury or if Daniels left early (see Tannehill, Ryan).

I'm glad that you see the greatest moments in USF history as the product of a couple of lucky bounces. I don't really know why I am wasting my key strokes at this point. If you don't recall out playing Auburn, Florida State, and WVU under Leavitt and think that it was all luck, then I pity you as a Bulls fan (assuming you really are one).

2009 - didn't work on the field... except, Sam Barrington, JPP, Kayvon Webster, Jaquain Williams, and Lindsey Lamar are all getting paid to play football right now. J. Jenkins, Giddens, Forte, Griffin (even though he's gone now) and Lattimore are all probably prospects to get drafted if they can put together a good season. So, if the 2009 class that Leavitt never really got to coach under-achieved, I think we can lay that blame squarely on Skip Holtz. The talent was most definitely there.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

All those players paid to play football now...where are the Big East conference championships???

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

All those players paid to play football now...where are the Big East conference championships???

you realize the bulk of the ones he listed played the majority of their careers under Holtz, right?

you realize the bulk of the ones he listed played the majority of their careers under Holtz, right

You realize that of that bulk that Leavitt had the better players, right? JPP stands head and shoulders above the rest and if he stays healthy he's going to the NFL HoF. And I said that years ago.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The great coach during the Leavitt era was Wally Burnham.  The defense took a nose dive immediately after he left.

• Upvote 1

The great coach during the Leavitt era was Wally Burnham.  The defense took a nose dive immediately after he left.

YES!!! And then Monty left the Bucs and it all went south. Dads leaving to work for their kids.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

YES!!! And then Monty left the Bucs and it all went south. Dads leaving to work for their kids.

Yep.  I still can't believe they chose their kids over Tampa.  Shame.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

+1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Burnham was just one of several solid defensive coaches to have coached at USF during Leavitt's tenure with Leavitt having served a larger role than those he hired before and after his time at USF. Leavitt was defense-minded and recruited well on that side of the ball - coaches and players. He lost many good coaches that found success under him.