• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brighthouse 47 Contract up?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

I know last year there were basketball games that were on ESPN 360 but also on BH 47. Those games were blacked out on Verizon ESPN 360. So will we have the same issues this year? Hard to build a fanbase when more than half the tv's in the area can't even watch the Bulls.

I have no idea ... but I am guessing the blackout has nothing to do with Brighthouse, since they are buying programing from the league and ESPN and would not be in any position to dictate terms like that. I would guess that it might be blacked out local for home games trying to get people to come instead of watch at home.

That seems to work well for the Bucs...

Are we done with the contract with Brighthouse that does not let other providers show our games?

The contract was not with USF... Football and basketball games are syndicated by ESPN to the "Big East Network" ... BrightHouse bought the rights to be the Big East Network through last year (not sure if the American Network for 2013-2014 has been set yet).

The Big East Network used to carry any USF game that was the Big East game of the week.

I believe in some cases ABC has bought the rights from Bright House for a game here or there.

I would expect Bright House to carry the American of the Week again this year... since none of the other local stations would be interested (WTOG carries the ACC Game of the Week, WTTA carries the SEC game of the week. That leaves Bright House and WMOR as the only independent stations (Fox, NBC, and CBS are not going to be our local American Network affiliate).

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

Are we done with the contract with Brighthouse that does not let other providers show our games?

The contract was not with USF... Football and basketball games are syndicated by ESPN to the "Big East Network" ... BrightHouse bought the rights to be the Big East Network through last year (not sure if the American Network for 2013-2014 has been set yet).

The Big East Network used to carry any USF game that was the Big East game of the week.

I believe in some cases ABC has bought the rights from Bright House for a game here or there.

I would expect Bright House to carry the American of the Week again this year... since none of the other local stations would be interested (WTOG carries the ACC Game of the Week, WTTA carries the SEC game of the week. That leaves Bright House and WMOR as the only independent stations (Fox, NBC, and CBS are not going to be our local American Network affiliate).

Jim, You are correct, but it was more than the game of the week. Many MBB games were set up for ESPN3, and ESPN would sell those off to stations in local markets too.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Well, like BDYZR said, the Bucs are crushing it with the blackout rule in effect, so I'm sure USF will continue to build their fanbase through live spectators who fall into the >50% of Tampa area homes who don't have Brighthouse.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Crap, I can't stand games on Brighthouse. I could have sworn that they were focusing solely on high school sports now, since it's much cheaper. My fingers are crossed that another entity buys the rights to locally transmit American conference games.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

Crap, I can't stand games on Brighthouse. I could have sworn that they were focusing solely on high school sports now, since it's much cheaper. My fingers are crossed that another entity buys the rights to locally transmit American conference games.

They are focusing on high school now. We'll just have to see if things are better or worse, overall, with them out of the picture ... I would just think that now with the Kaniggits and us in the same conference now, with BH presence in central Florida, something would be done on their part ... 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,704
  • Days Won:  108

I thought the same thing - that last year was their final year carrying college games.  I was holding on to BH just because of that. Switched to FIOS now.  Hoping any USF games we don't go to in person are on ESPN3.