• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I Hope That CWT Is Prepared For Swift Coaching Changes If Needed

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Eh. A lot of what you've been whining about should have been on mute. But it's sort of a moot point, now.

TAMU gave up 57 points to LaTech mid-season...should have fired their DC.....I mean if La Tech did that just IMAGINE what Bama would do

LA Tech scored the most points of any D1 team in college football last season so it wasn't just against TAMU. But yeah, Mark Snider's defense coughed up a lot of points in 3 quarters in that game. But we had seen that at USF a few times. Pitt put 44 points up, Cincy 37, Louisville 34 in 2011,
LA Tech was the only team to score more than 30 points against TAMU last year. This one game is a huge outlier. Most games the opponent scored between 20 and 30. Looking at one game, and saying Snyder was doing a bad job, isn't fair considering the rest of the schedule, first year of new coaching staff, first year in the SEC, and 11-2 record, Beat Bama, and destroyed Sooners (big12 champion, were 10-2 going in) in their bowl game.

I didn't say that he was. And LA Tech was the only team to score over 50 points on TAMU. But that was normal for them last year.

And also over 30...? http://www.aggieathletics.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=632662&SPID=93232&DB_OEM_ID=27300&Q_SEASON=2012

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

This topic is beginning to bore me.  The entire premise of discussing to prepare for firing a coach with Super Bowl experience and two top ten NFL defenses under his belt even before he steps onto an official practice field is absolutely ridiculous.

Now you come up with some obscure statistic and cite the team was one of the worst defenses in history.  Did they have a crappy year in 2011?  Absolutely.  But let's not carried away here.  #1, the team was in complete chaos.  #2, with the exception of one obscure statistical category, The team wasn't even last in the league in defense.

Who cares what fan blogs of other teams say about a coach.  Most act as dumb as some people around here.  It is all a matter of what is going on with the team at that point in time.  If the team is winning the coaches are the greatest ever know to man.  The next year, if they are losing, they are the worst in history.  Just look at Jim Caldwell.  Takes his team to the Super Bowl in his first year and everyone around Indy thinks he is a god.  Greatest coach ever!  Incredible, he can come in and replace Tony Dungy and go to a Super Bowl his first year.  2 years later, half his team is hurt, they have a crappy year and he is the worst coach in history and gets fired.  

This year's defense, and team for that matter, may be decent or it may suck.  We don't know yet because we haven't held the first official team practice yet.  At what point do you decide that our defense sucks?  After the first completed pass?  Do you start preparing the pink slip after the first first down?  If our first 4 CBs go down and you have to start moving back up RBs to defensive back does that mean that he sucked as a DC?  

Bottom line is, he has coached some pretty good defenses and he has had a few stinkers. Let's actually see what kind of defense he puts on the field at the University of South Florida in 2013.  At the end of the year if it is close to the defensive play calling and collapses we have seen in the past 2 years I will be right there with you wanting a change, but until he fails or succeeds it makes no sense to be talking about even the consideration of making a change.  

Edited by usfgrad84
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

This topic is beginning to bore me.  

SO who is forcing you to face the truth? BTW, the website that lists his 2011 Raiders in the worse ever in the NFLlist,  going back to even when the NFL and AFL were separate, motto is "The Truth Hurts". Obviously you and some others on here are exhibiting butt pain symptoms over the truth.  And you are trying to say that in the entire history of pro football there never has been another team in disarray? Not buying it.

Edited by slick1ru2

Eh. A lot of what you've been whining about should have been on mute. But it's sort of a moot point, now.

TAMU gave up 57 points to LaTech mid-season...should have fired their DC.....I mean if La Tech did that just IMAGINE what Bama would do

LA Tech scored the most points of any D1 team in college football last season so it wasn't just against TAMU. But yeah, Mark Snider's defense coughed up a lot of points in 3 quarters in that game. But we had seen that at USF a few times. Pitt put 44 points up, Cincy 37, Louisville 34 in 2011,
LA Tech was the only team to score more than 30 points against TAMU last year. This one game is a huge outlier. Most games the opponent scored between 20 and 30. Looking at one game, and saying Snyder was doing a bad job, isn't fair considering the rest of the schedule, first year of new coaching staff, first year in the SEC, and 11-2 record, Beat Bama, and destroyed Sooners (big12 champion, were 10-2 going in) in their bowl game.

I didn't say that he was. And LA Tech was the only team to score over 50 points on TAMU. But that was normal for them last year.

And also over 30...? http://www.aggieathletics.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=632662&SPID=93232&DB_OEM_ID=27300&Q_SEASON=2012

Over 30 could mean 31 which sounds nowhere near as bad as over 50. I mean if they got 60 or 70 scored on them, would you still say, over 30? That's like saying I was going over the 35 mph speed limit when I was going 80. What is the reaction to that? Oh, its only over 35 or that its a huge number?

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

You don't even have a full comprehension of the statistics you are reading.  It is not entitled the worst defense in history.  It is about one meaningless statistical category.  You can play games with any statistical category you want.  I would argue that first downs allowed is a more important category than average rushing yards allowed.  The Patriots were last in the league in preventing first downs.  In fact, they were worse than the Raiders that year in many defensive statistics.  They went to the Super Bowl that year.  Are you going to argue that Belichik is also a bad defensive minded coach?  

As I said, that Raiders team was bad, no argument there, but it wasn't even in the 3 worst defenses in that season, let alone history.  

Come back and talk about it when the team defense is last in points allowed or even total yards allowed.  That is how games are won or lost.

• Upvote 1

You don't even have a full comprehension of the statistics you are reading.  It is not entitled the worst defense in history.  It is about one meaningless statistical category.  You can play games with any statistical category you want.  I would argue that first downs allowed is a more important category than average rushing yards allowed.  The Patriots were last in the league in preventing first downs.  In fact, they were worse than the Raiders that year in many defensive statistics.  They went to the Super Bowl that year.  Are you going to argue that Belichik is also a bad defensive minded coach?  

As I said, that Raiders team was bad, no argument there, but it wasn't even in the 3 worst defenses in that season, let alone history.  

Come back and talk about it when the team defense is last in points allowed or even total yards allowed.  That is how games are won or lost.

Write the website and tell them they are wrong. One of the few teams in NFL history that the defense gave up an average of over 5 yards on all plays. That's what you don't seem to comprehend. Its the ONLY statistic that counts on defense, stopping the other team.

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,731
  • Days Won:  425

Write the website and tell them they are wrong. One of the few teams in NFL history that the defense gave up an average of over 5 yards on all plays. That's what you don't seem to comprehend. Its the ONLY statistic that counts on defense, stopping the other team.

The ONLY statistic that counts on defense is keeping the other team from scoring more points than your team ... Is that the one you're talking about?

The failure of the 2011 Raiders defense, "100% a scheme thing".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl3nEPH2Pik#at=75

Awesome how he had a LB covering Calvin Johnson. Duh.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I have a question, IF our defense were to under-perform, who exactly would you have coaching the D if we fired CB? How many games does he get? What is your definition of under-performing? It's easy to say that things should happen, the difficult part is dealing with the choices that you make.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Allowing a point. Game 2. Kirby Smart.