• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bill McGillis to Southern Miss

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

What does that say when the insiders start leaving?

Two people under Woolard have left in the last few months for promotions.  Woolard is clearly hiring quality people that others want to hire for even better jobs.  

I'm not sure how much of a "quality" hire McGillis was. Based on what I know he is far from quality.

He just got hired to be an AD.  Just because people don't want to have a beer with him doesn't mean he isn't doing his job.  You don't have to be friends with the person you work for.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Two people under Woolard have left in the last few months for promotions.  Woolard is clearly hiring quality people that others want to hire for even better jobs.  

I'm not sure how much of a "quality" hire McGillis was. Based on what I know he is far from quality.

He just got hired to be an AD.  Just because people don't want to have a beer with him doesn't mean he isn't doing his job.  You don't have to be friends with the person you work for.

Agreed, but you also shouldn't create a caustic work environment that drives good people away.  I believe the secret of good management is to make people excited about what they do and to give them the encouragement and support to meet whatever goals that are set, while being proactive when you see the landscape changing.  I think that LRS offered a counter-balance to the current style that made things workable before his untimely passing.

Agreed, but you also shouldn't create a caustic work environment that drives good people away.  I believe the secret of good management is to make people excited about what they do and to give them the encouragement and support to meet whatever goals that are set, while being proactive when you see the landscape changing.  I think that LRS offered a counter-balance to the current style that made things workable before his untimely passing.

That is nice.  And I manage the way you suggest, but ready to deal with the laggards (thankfully I haven't had to deal with that often).  

But everyone has his own style, and unless I'm mistaken none of us on this board worked for him and know how "caustic" the work environment really was. 

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Watched the announcement from Southern Miss on You tube and it appears  Bill did a lot at USF, He was in charge of scheduling FB , OOC games, increasing ticket sales, generating donors, overseeing the building of all the new athletics blds, getting the IMG deal, building relationships with corp sponsors, increasing merchandising sales to put us in the TOP 50 in the nation, ect... (His words not mine)  I know people embellish their resume and toot their own horns, but lets say he actually did 75% of what he said than what exactly does Doug do?

We will see if Doug is a good AD or not now that 2 key figures have left his dept. Cream rises to the top, lets see if he rises or sinks badly.

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Watched the announcement from Southern Miss on You tube and it appears  Bill did a lot at USF, He was in charge of scheduling FB , OOC games, increasing ticket sales, generating donors, overseeing the building of all the new athletics blds, getting the IMG deal, building relationships with corp sponsors, increasing merchandising sales to put us in the TOP 50 in the nation, ect... (His words not mine)  I know people embellish their resume and toot their own horns, but lets say he actually did 75% of what he said than what exactly does Doug do?

We will see if Doug is a good AD or not now that 2 key figures have left his dept. Cream rises to the top, lets see if he rises or sinks badly.

Bosses take credit for everything that happens under them, so Doug Woolard can claim all those things, as can Judy Genshaft.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

That is nice.  And I manage the way you suggest, but ready to deal with the laggards (thankfully I haven't had to deal with that often).  

But everyone has his own style, and unless I'm mistaken none of us on this board worked for him and know how "caustic" the work environment really was. 

Some on this board indeed have worked for him and probably will never go on record, one way or another, out of respect for the program. 

Some on this board indeed have worked for him and probably will never go on record, one way or another, out of respect for the program. 

You are correct.  I meant to say people in this thread, I know there are a few on this board that have worked for him.

• Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  3,616
  • Days Won:  1

Bill was a great person to get to know (IMO) and was always great to the loyal students who went to almost every sporting event. He would always help SBC when he could. I have heard others not approve of the job he did/how he did it but always had good experiences with him and wish him nothing but the best with Southern Miss

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I'm not saying that that you have to be. He was also an AD before he came to USF.

Saw what DHambuc posted firther down the thread and that is is a resume getting to be O'learyesque.

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

It was only a matter of time until Bill got an AD offer. Congrats to him.