• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Football: Building something special at USF II

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

if bench shines bulls do better than expected

however it will be tough getting good recruits to play at a non big 5 school

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

"Same old out of this world expectations on this board"

That is how it should be when you are a Bull through and through.

I think you have confused "expectations" with "hopes" when talking about being a Bull through and through ...

If you don't mind me asking, what are your "expectations" and what are your "hopes" for the Bulls, Trip?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

Never ceases to blow my mind how weak/defeated some peoples mindsets are. I am 100% on board with OP. I don't give a **** what we did last year or what logo is on our jerseys; we're absolutely going to do something special. Thank god for the people in charge in 1997 who said "we can do this" instead of the horrible "we can't" attitude.

Willie Taggart embodies this and that's why he WILL bring us back. Skip Holtz never showed the killer, no-excuses instinct. He didn't have that "spirit of 97" in him. 

I love TCU as an example of what we can do.

2008: 11-2, 7-1 in MWC, Poinsettia Bowl win over Boise St

2009: 12-1, 8-0 in MWC, Fiesta Bowl loss vs Boise St

2010: 12-0, 8-0 in MWC, Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin

2011: 11-2, 7-0 in MWC, Poinsettia Bowl win over La Tech

at this point they have had 1 loss in the MWC in 4 years.  They have been building their program for years, quietly upsetting teams, packing the stadium, building loyalty and tradition. Their reward: a Big 12 invite.

Anyone who says we are out is plain wrong.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Too many unknowns to even venture a guess at what this team's record will be.  To say 4-8 record is "realistic" is as silly as saying a 10-2 record will be realistic.  

You can't discount the fact that in-game coaching and game management by the previous coaching staff resulted in at least 4 games last year being given away in the last few minutes of games.  

We probably have one of the best defensive lines in the country.  There is no way we only have 2 INTs agin this year.  We have one of the best TEs in the country with an offense that focuses on that position as a weapon.  We have some experience and depth now (for the first time in about 8 years) at WR. Our LBs showed some ability late in the year last year with DeDe returning for his senior year.    

If we get any kind of productivity from the RB position and even just a competent performance from the QB position and the coaching staff shows any kind of ability to actually manage winning games rather than giving them away, we should have a decent year.    Still too many "ifs" to say definitely, but we should be better than last year.  With any brains at all from the coaching staff, last year would have been better than last year.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I think you have confused "expectations" with "hopes" when talking about being a Bull through and through ...

If you don't mind me asking, what are your "expectations" and what are your "hopes" for the Bulls, Trip?

I've probably got a little different outlook than many on here about that. To me, expectations like that should be accompanied by consequences. CWT can expect things out of his team ... DW can expect things out of his coaches ... JG can expect things out of DW. Don't live up to those expectations, something will happen. Expecting a number of wins/losses in a season just doesn't work for me because whether they live up to any expectations I'd set or not, there wouldn't be any consequences. I'm not going to stop supporting them because they didn't meet my expectations so why set them? From what I've seen, all setting expectations does, from a fan's perspective, is to justify, in their minds, the whining when they don't live up to them. Life's too short to get really bent out of shape about something you have absolutely no control over ............ I feel like I need to add a  :hippy2: to this dissertation. Hopefully, that came across how I intended it to.

BTW, I hope this year we can get back to the 6 wins or more level but with all the unknowns heading into it, I have no ******* clue what's going to happen.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Never ceases to blow my mind how weak/defeated some peoples mindsets are. I am 100% on board with OP. I don't give a **** what we did last year or what logo is on our jerseys; we're absolutely going to do something special. Thank god for the people in charge in 1997 who said "we can do this" instead of the horrible "we can't" attitude.

Willie Taggart embodies this and that's why he WILL bring us back. Skip Holtz never showed the killer, no-excuses instinct. He didn't have that "spirit of 97" in him. 

I love TCU as an example of what we can do.

2008: 11-2, 7-1 in MWC, Poinsettia Bowl win over Boise St

2009: 12-1, 8-0 in MWC, Fiesta Bowl loss vs Boise St

2010: 12-0, 8-0 in MWC, Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin

2011: 11-2, 7-0 in MWC, Poinsettia Bowl win over La Tech

at this point they have had 1 loss in the MWC in 4 years.  They have been building their program for years, quietly upsetting teams, packing the stadium, building loyalty and tradition. Their reward: a Big 12 invite.

Anyone who says we are out is plain wrong.

what is boise's reward?

You forget TCU has an awesome TV market and incredible fan base.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I've probably got a little different outlook than many on here about that. To me, expectations like that should be accompanied by consequences. CWT can expect things out of his team ... DW can expect things out of his coaches ... JG can expect things out of DW. Don't live up to those expectations, something will happen. Expecting a number of wins/losses in a season just doesn't work for me because whether they live up to any expectations I'd set or not, there wouldn't be any consequences. I'm not going to stop supporting them because they didn't meet my expectations so why set them? From what I've seen, all setting expectations does, from a fan's perspective, is to justify, in their minds, the whining when they don't live up to them. Life's too short to get really bent out of shape about something you have absolutely no control over ............ I feel like I need to add a  :hippy2: to this dissertation. Hopefully, that came across how I intended it to.

BTW, I hope this year we can get back to the 6 wins or more level but with all the unknowns heading into it, I have no ******* clue what's going to happen.

Well said.