• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Lacrosse?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Used to got to all the LAX club's parties in the 70's. I was 6'3 225# in those days, a complete madman and played club soccer. LAX recruited the hell out of me. I still wish I had done it. Ran into all of them at the Aspen, CO  tourney a few years after school. Always had a blast. You gotta be crazy to play Lacrosse. It's like playing rugby but they give you a stick to beat on your opponent. My kind of game.

did i know you?

i played one year 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  242
  • Days Won:  1

I'm all for starting a lax team but we would get stomped by everyone... Do we really need anymore punishment right now ?

Our club team beat UF this year. Assume makes an Ass out of U and Me
This is like saying the intramural basketball team at usf beat UFs.

Wish I had a cool demeaning line to say but you already made a fool of yourself.

Trying to make a point from a team winning in a pickup game of lacrosse...el oh el

The point is we have a good club level team and we are competing to say the least at the club level. FSU has a great club team and is probably better than some NCAA level teams. We competed with them last year if I recall correctly

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Add LAX? There is a reason it's a club sport in this state

There's also a reason it's an official high school sport in Florida. 138 boy's teams and 114 girl's teams.

In the NCAA, there are currently 63 men's teams (the nearest is Jacksonville University followed by Duke), and 100 women's (Florida, Jacksonville, and Stetson all being in-state).

It's a growing sport in Florida.

Just because kids play it in high school, doesn't mean a college should throw down millions to create a team.

You're right that that shouldn't be the reason, but your insinuation that it's not popular in Florida as reason not to start a team is false.

It's not popular, jut because kids play it doesn't mean it's popular. I seriously doubt many kids from Florida are playing lacrosse beyond high school.

Just like wrestling, or whatever else.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

There's also a reason it's an official high school sport in Florida. 138 boy's teams and 114 girl's teams.

In the NCAA, there are currently 63 men's teams (the nearest is Jacksonville University followed by Duke), and 100 women's (Florida, Jacksonville, and Stetson all being in-state).

Water polo is also an official high school sport in Florida, but there are no varsity college water polo teams in Florida.

Don't be dissing water polo. This is perhaps the single most physically demanding sport on the planet.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Just because kids play it in high school, doesn't mean a college should throw down millions to create a team.

You're right that that shouldn't be the reason, but your insinuation that it's not popular in Florida as reason not to start a team is false.

It's not popular, jut because kids play it doesn't mean it's popular. I seriously doubt many kids from Florida are playing lacrosse beyond high school.

Just like wrestling, or whatever else.

So all these high school programs being added in the last 10 years, plus the addition of college programs now is just pure coincidence? Do you see many high schools or colleges adding wrestling to their program? Growth equates to popularity.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  182
  • Days Won:  2

Lacrosse is a sport for rich white kids who aren't good enough to play football.

No thanks.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Lacrosse is a sport for rich white kids who aren't good enough to play football.

No thanks.

I didn't grow up in an affluent neighborhood when I lived in NY and the majority of the lacrosse players for my high school were far from rich.  Looking back, the lacrosse players were mostly white from my high school.  However, I wouldn't go as far as saying its a "rich white kids" sport. 

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Used to got to all the LAX club's parties in the 70's. I was 6'3 225# in those days, a complete madman and played club soccer. LAX recruited the hell out of me. I still wish I had done it. Ran into all of them at the Aspen, CO  tourney a few years after school. Always had a blast. You gotta be crazy to play Lacrosse. It's like playing rugby but they give you a stick to beat on your opponent. My kind of game.

did i know you?

i played one year 

Maybe, don't remember a lot of names from the 70s but I was at USF from 75-79 and active with LAX guys probably mostly 77-79. Did you ever hook up with any of the USF girls who moved to Aspen? Bean, Lil Bethie et al.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Sounds like the same argument for soccer....

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Lacrosse is exploding at the D2 level, even in Florida.  Becasue of title 9, it is more difficult for D1 programs to add lacrosse.  The State of Florida will have their own D2 conference for lacrosse next season. It is the fastest growing sport in America and its oldest.  Would love to see USF add it as a D1 sport, however, the Athletic Program currently has higher priority needs than adding additional programs.  Louisville is rumoured to be adding Men's Lacrosse in the near future.  Its a great sport that still suffers from sterotypes.

• Upvote 2