• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AAC ratifies plan to split realignment funds

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Three former Big East schools will receive 60 percent of funds

American Athletic Conference presidents agreed on how to split lucrative Big East exit fees and postseason credits that reportedly could be near $100 million.

League officials declined to reveal how much each school would receive, but UCF athletics director Todd Stansbury said in an exclusive interview with the Orlando Sentinel the schools previously in the Big East would receive about 60 percent of the revenue while the newcomers would split about 40 percent.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/os-american-spring-meetings--0522-20130521,0,7920284.story

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,997
  • Days Won:  12

They deserve next to zero each. They have contributed nothing to this conference, and if anything, are a net negative, given that we are worse off with them. 

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  763
  • Days Won:  0

So is the $20 million paid out in one lump sum or spread out over time?

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Agreed. Why would we give up BE funds to new AAC participants when we stuck it through to the end (and got the screw). We need the money for the next few years to prop up the fact the AAC will be less pay out in all categories (bowl, tv, sharing, etc).

Dumb for USF to agree to that compromise.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I was thinking at worse it would be a 70/30 split. The only reason I could see for a compromise is the NBE members outnumber the OBE by a lot and they were crying and complaining the whole time.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Should have been 70/30 or 80/20....now we are looking at 20million over how long? 5 years? longer? Pathetic

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

The only reason I could see for a compromise is the NBE members outnumber the OBE by a lot and they were crying and complaining the whole time.

I think this is the key right here.  We need these new members like they need us, but no effing way should it have been a 60/40 split.  75/25 in my opinion.  

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

But these are BE exit fees and they were never in the BE. Why would they get ANY funds?

It is like getting your deposit back from a security deposit at an apartment, and they decide to share it with others who are moving into that building. Doesn't make any sense.

Insert picture of person scratching their head here.....

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

And the hits keep on coming.

Well, no sense in arguing about it here.  We can't change this deal.

We have taken a HUGE pay cut with conference re-alignment.  We can only try to get to a better situation for the future.

:angry:

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

But these are BE exit fees and they were never in the BE. Why would they get ANY funds?

I think most of us USF fans, along with Cincy and Uconn fans would agree with that, but these are litigious times we live in.  The case the new schools are making is that they thought they were joining a league with Louisville and Rutgers  still in the fold.  

My stance is that the new schools were idiots if they thought each conference was rock solid at the time they received their invites to what is now the AAC.  Some of the UCF fans have parroted this argument on here and they're making their admins look like fools, imo.  

The new schools could have gone back to their old situations - yes, they would have made less $ with lower TV contracts, but we would have been up a creek.  I think that's where the line of thinking was on this, but there is no way in hell they should be entitled to 40% of the exit fees.  That sum is far more than they are worth at this moment and I sure hope they are grateful.