• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF not helped by new education bill

EduBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Add the high price to the fact that Stetson is not a good law school, I think this is a net loss unfortunately.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Days Won:  0

We need our own d*a*m*n* politicians in Tally.

FSU has just recently made a dent in the Gators clamp on the Capitol. It'll take USF a LONG time before it sees something similar.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

This new law, which includes the preeminent universities provision, was introduced by state senator John Legg.  Legg got his bachelor's and master's degrees at USF!  The preeminent universities 20 qualifying criteria were clearly drawn up solely to make sure only FSU and UF get an extra $75 million each of Florida taxpayer money over the next 5 years.  The incentive that USF can attain the criteria too is hollow because surely the qualifications would be changed if USF came close to attaining the present 20.  The carrot is being dangled out there, but if USF gets close the rules will likely change so only FSU and UF continue to get treated special.  It's wrong only 2 universities of 12 universities in state public university system get extra funding.  USF students though will likely at least get a tuition increase of maybe 4% with the legislature this session.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/S17

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Nice!

Can they complete it all in Tampa or will they have to spend the last 3 in Deland?

Its actually a bad deal unless all the kids they accept are given full-tuition scholarships. 150K+ in loans for law school is not worth it for most law schools unless the school's name is Harvard, Stanford or Yale.

edit: there's probably a reason why USF didn't fight this education and send out a bunch of emails telling us to contact our representatives telling them to vote no. my guess is they expect to be along side UF and FSU.

I for one don't have too much of a problem with it. Besides the extra funding for the "research" universities, there are students in high school that know college isn't for them and would rather do a trade, but most just go along for the ride because they don't want to be a high-school dropout.

In 2010, there was a plan to divide the state universities into tiers by their research designation.

The top tier would have been UF, FSU and USF.

The mid-tier would have been UCF and FIU (and I think one another university)

Others (UNF, UWF) would have been designated as regional

The reason the bill died was because... SURPRISE SURPRISE... UF legislators wanted to modify the bill to designate UF as the sole state flagship university, and FSU/USF to be designated lower.

This angered FSU, and their legislators, who fought back and ended up killing the bill in the committee.

This article contains an e-mail the president of FSU sent out:

http://www.examiner.com/article/barron-and-florida-state-university-to-oppose-florida-senate-bill-2442

After all this, I highly doubt UF (and FSU) wants us included.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,681
  • Days Won:  8

Nice!

Can they complete it all in Tampa or will they have to spend the last 3 in Deland?

Its actually a bad deal unless all the kids they accept are given full-tuition scholarships. 150K+ in loans for law school is not worth it for most law schools unless the school's name is Harvard, Stanford or Yale.

edit: there's probably a reason why USF didn't fight this education and send out a bunch of emails telling us to contact our representatives telling them to vote no. my guess is they expect to be along side UF and FSU.

I for one don't have too much of a problem with it. Besides the extra funding for the "research" universities, there are students in high school that know college isn't for them and would rather do a trade, but most just go along for the ride because they don't want to be a high-school dropout.

In 2010, there was a plan to divide the state universities into tiers by their research designation.

The reason the bill died was because... SURPRISE SURPRISE... UF legislators wanted to modify the bill to designate UF as the sole state flagship university, and FSU/USF to be designated lower.

This angered FSU, and their legislators, who fought back and ended up killing the bill in the committee.

http://www.examiner.com/article/barron-and-florida-state-university-to-oppose-florida-senate-bill-2442

UF arrogance.

Gators can't overcome their bias even as adults, shows a lack of character. 

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

Add the high price to the fact that Stetson is not a good law school, I think this is a net loss unfortunately.

Stetson is a very highly regarded law school in the Florida legal community.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

Stetson is a very highly regarded law school in the Florida legal community. Still not worth the 150K though.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Stetson is a very highly regarded law school in the Florida legal community. Still not worth the 150K though.

Yup, Stetson is great at prepping would-be attorneys in the fine art-form of trial advocacy, but with salaries where there at and how saturated this market is, the Stetson debt load is far too great. We still need USF-friendly politicians in Tally.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Stetson has a fine reputation locally, but nationally, it is regarded as what it really is -- a 4th tier school at a Harvard price.  Stetson grads have zero appeal to the most sought-after legal employers.  We should not be routing our best and brightest students there.  This is a no brainer.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,074
  • Days Won:  172

Nice!

why so many lower tier 4 year schools