• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Less Money than Expected

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

we have some looneys on this board

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

Philly and Houston are very big cities.  Even if those schools don't get top billing at home, losing those markets from the conference hurts more than the I-4.  Everyone in this conference is separated by very little, however those TV sets make a difference.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

So I guess this is why we went with ESPN?

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

interesting:

Because of stipulations by NBC, current Big East new 7-year TV deal can be terminated if 2 more schools leave

Brett McMurphy â€@McMurphyESPN

If 2 teams from UConn, Cincy, Temple & UH leave; or 1 of those & 1 of remaining teams, new TV deal for former Big East can be terminated

So it appears USF is not as valuable to ESPN as UConn, Cincy,Temple, or Houston.  That could be why USF hasn't received an invite to join the big-boy conferences.

Willie needs to get rid of the bus, and learn to pilot a jet!

They picked group A because they were the ones most likely to go to the ACC, at least in the case of Cincy and UConn, per McMurphy. So its the other way around, USF isn't in group A because insider talk doesn't have them going anywhere. 

Yep.

I admit, this is worse than what I was originally thinking - I was holding out for a shot at a truncated ACC. With the aforementioned contingency plan for ESPN in place however, if we ever made it to the Atlantic Coast Conference, it would be, for the most part the same conference we are in now with a new name. If it is indeed these four teams before us, it's over.

Here are my thoughts. Feel free to rip apart and explain why my logic doesn't make sense.

UCONN and Cincy make sense. Decent markets with no exposure, a flagship school and better basketball than what the rest of us have to offer - except Temple, or maybe...Memphis.

Temple makes sense I guess for the basketball and (elite academics)?

Maybe also, the ACC knows it can't win the football arms race and isn't trying to compete with the B10 and SEC in football, maybe they are trying to compete with the C7 and everyone else in basketball. Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Louisville - not bad.

They've got ESPN watching their backs for the most part and must know as long as they remain a conference, they won't be ignored or downplayed by the WWL.

Which leads to FSU potentially running for the exit. Who else then? Right now, I'm thinking Clemson, VT and someone else?

UH makes some sense if the tea leaves are saying only FSU might be leaving the ACC - leaving Miami. Maybe then the ACC would be satisfied with only one team and market in South Florida* and then would covet a team, exposure and carriage fees in Texas? Houston sure as hell isn't leaving this conference for the B12 or B10.

By the looks of it, we are a mid-major program for life. I just hope to hell the administration has a plan in place to make this down-shift as easy as a transition as possible.

Again, let me know where I am missing the mark on this. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Many here are misinterpreting the clause badly.

It's not a pecking order of value, it's ACC-poaching insurance.

- We are not candidates for the ACC right now with FSU and Miami there.

- UNC, UVA, and Ga Tech are commonly talked about as being next to be scooped up by the Big Ten

- If/when they go, we are not at risk of leaving, nor is UCF. Cincy and UConn are.

- Therefore, no "ACC-poaching" insurance is needed.

This is more a commentary on the relative values of UH to SMU, and Temple to say, Tulane.

The fact that UCF/USF are not in group A is not a statement of our relative worth in the conference. Its a statement about who might leave the ACC next and the obvious fact that USF/UCF will never go to the ACC as long as FSU/Miami are there.

Now, let me put my tin foil hat on...

- If UNC/GT/UVA go, the dominoes are now falling and FSU is likely to go somewhere along with Miami

- Either FSU has gone to the Big 12 at this point along with Miami, maybe Clemson too, and USF/UCF are there for the taking. Would the ACC be so dumb as to ignore Florida? We'd likely get called up to the former ACC, aka Big East 2.0

- OR FSU gets that coveted Big Ten offer, leaving something like a Clemson/Miami/UCF/USF combo to the big 12. See my "rumor" thread post, the Big 12 owns the Big 14 name.

Somebody buy this man a drink! Thank you for making sense when everyone else is flipping out.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Common sense has no place on a message board....

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

The fact that UCF/USF are not in group A is not a statement of our relative worth in the conference. 

Id argue the exact opposite of this statement.  Our TV contract is based on sum of the 12 teams value to NBC/ESPN, whoever.  These companies have determined what each of these schools is worth to the conference.  Obviously a UCONN has a national brand that is worth more than a Tulane, the numbers are not the same for each school.  Add the 12 schools up and divide by 12 and you get the 1.5 million annually per school.  My bet is that UCONN, Cincy, UH and Temple represent the 4 highest value teams in the conference and if 2 or more of them leave the contract is void.  Pretty simple.

Anyone, including TV execs are not trying to look into a crystal ball to hedge against power 5 conference moves and what may or may not happen.  That sounds ridiculous.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

interesting:

Because of stipulations by NBC, current Big East new 7-year TV deal can be terminated if 2 more schools leave

Brett McMurphy â€@McMurphyESPN

If 2 teams from UConn, Cincy, Temple & UH leave; or 1 of those & 1 of remaining teams, new TV deal for former Big East can be terminated

So it appears USF is not as valuable to ESPN as UConn, Cincy,Temple, or Houston.  That could be why USF hasn't received an invite to join the big-boy conferences.

Willie needs to get rid of the bus, and learn to pilot a jet!

They picked group A because they were the ones most likely to go to the ACC, at least in the case of Cincy and UConn, per McMurphy. So its the other way around, USF isn't in group A because insider talk doesn't have them going anywhere. 

Yep.

I admit, this is worse than what I was originally thinking - I was holding out for a shot at a truncated ACC. With the aforementioned contingency plan for ESPN in place however, if we ever made it to the Atlantic Coast Conference, it would be, for the most part the same conference we are in now with a new name. If it is indeed these four teams before us, it's over.

Here are my thoughts. Feel free to rip apart and explain why my logic doesn't make sense.

UCONN and Cincy make sense. Decent markets with no exposure, a flagship school and better basketball than what the rest of us have to offer - except Temple, or maybe...Memphis.

Temple makes sense I guess for the basketball and (elite academics)?

Maybe also, the ACC knows it can't win the football arms race and isn't trying to compete with the B10 and SEC in football, maybe they are trying to compete with the C7 and everyone else in basketball. Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Louisville - not bad.

They've got ESPN watching their backs for the most part and must know as long as they remain a conference, they won't be ignored or downplayed by the WWL.

Which leads to FSU potentially running for the exit. Who else then? Right now, I'm thinking Clemson, VT and someone else?

UH makes some sense if the tea leaves are saying only FSU might be leaving the ACC - leaving Miami. Maybe then the ACC would be satisfied with only one team and market in South Florida* and then would covet a team, exposure and carriage fees in Texas? Houston sure as hell isn't leaving this conference for the B12 or B10.

By the looks of it, we are a mid-major program for life. I just hope to hell the administration has a plan in place to make this down-shift as easy as a transition as possible.

Again, let me know where I am missing the mark on this. Thanks!

Agree with your post except for the highlighted part.  No transition is needed. We've always been a mid-major at best in athletics.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

Can't argue against that.  Just don't know how long it's gonna take for that to sink in. 

One thing I do know, however, is that I will be very thankful when the realignment dust settles. 

Makes it hard to concentrate on the forthcoming schedule. That's just me. 

:icon_drink: