• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB Transfer???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I'm not known for being particularly bullish on the bulls' chances year to year. But I think the defense is actually still set to be pretty stout, and the offense has some weapons that I really like in Andre Davis, Davario Montgomery, Sean Price and Deonte Welch. Those guys would be twisting in the wind with Matt Floyd or Bobby Eveld throwing the football. Clint Trickett could make it all work.

If I were them I would be selling him as hard as possible. I don't think the Bulls go 6-6 with Trickett at the helm. I think they go much better than that.

Our defensIVE COORDINATOR was awful last year.

fixed it for you

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was the defense AND the coordinator.  Defense was bad, coordinator did nothing noticeable to try to change it.  

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Whether or not it was the coordinators fault (I vote yes), the defense was horrible.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Well, we're just gonna have to disagree on what constitutes negative, then. I'm just a real hard sell when it comes to pep-talks, coach speak and cheerleading. If he does wind up at USF, fine, great, wonderful...an obvious improvement over what we have now. However, that being said, if we were playing with real money, I'd put some chips on WVU. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks these two programs, today, are simply a flip-o-the-coin different, regarding conference affiliation (and all that it brings), level of success and the level of effort each faces this fall to improve from last year. Like I said, if he shows up...fine. I just don't think he will for multiple reasons. And if I'm wrong, it won't be the first, nor last, time. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

Tangent, but WVU wasn't that great last season. Sure, they had a field day the first few games with their offense, but then teams started playing a little defense against them, and that showed them up real quick.

Trickett would be a nice addition to the team. If he chooses us, great. Would give us a definitive alternative to what we have, and his presence would allow us to RS White. If not? I wouldn't be surprised if Mike White doesn't redshirt. not this season.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957

To me it goes without saying that if WVU is offering him the same opportunity as USF then WVU is the more attractive situation.

But that's an awful big IF. Just because they're onto him doesn't mean they're offering him the same opportunity.

They have Ford Childress competing for the start with Paul Millard and Childress is a big-armed Texas kid at 6'5" and 225 lbs, a four-star recruit, #8 QB in the country in the 2012 class. Childress has one full year of experience in Holgorsen's system (he enrolled at WVU early) and Millard has two. The playbook is really not extensive at all. It's very easy to remember. Being a coach's kid isn't going to give a natural advantage that way. It's the execution of the offense that is hard to sharpen to the point that Holgorsen likes it to be. That execution needs to be sharp as a knife point for that offense to work. Even if Childress doesn't win the job in 2013 over Trickett, you would expect that in 2014 there will be pressure to get the younger hot shot on the field.

The Bulls don't have a Ford Childress, and neither of the quarterbacks on the Bulls roster competing for the start have much experience in the new system. There's not much of an advantage there for them. Neither were recruited by Willie T, so Trickett wouldn't have anything to fear in the way of pressure to get them on the field either in 2013 or 2014. The Bulls don't have a significant recruit in the hopper to where there'd be a lot of pressure to get someone on the field in 2014. The most significant is Mike White who hasn't had a chance to come in yet and would probably redshirt if Trickett were to come in. There wouldn't be significant pressure to start a Mike White as a redshirt freshman in 2014. It's not the same as it would be in West Virginia with Ford Childress in 2014.

So let's not pretend the opportunities available in front of Clint Trickett look the same. If he goes to West Virginia he'll be in a better conference, on a better team, in a system more well known for producing stellar numbers...and none of that will do him any good if he the apple-of-their-eye Ford Childress wakes up during the summer and starts killing it. Meanwhile in South Florida he is pretty much GUARANTEED to start in 2013, with a **** near guarantee to continue on in 2014, provided he doesn't trip and punch himself in the junk on the way down.

Edited by ckparrothead

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

To our friend at WVU, or anyone else, who thinks Tricket (or any other transfer) would not have a chance to star right away, here are the statistics for the 2 returning scholarship QBs:

Matt Floyd 57 passes   110 attempts    466 yards         51.8%  4.24YPA         0TD     5INT

Bobby Eveld -2012

3          8          29        37.5     3.63     0          0

Bobby Eveld- 2011

37        67        354      55.2     5.28     1          4

Bobby Eveld -2010

42        75        454      56.0     6.05     2          3

Not sure anyone would be scared away by that. 

Edited by SANJAY

My goodness, is there really someone arguing that Clint Trickett wouldn't start right away for the Bulls?

Bobby Eveld is a total off radar non recruit walk on. And he's been holding off the 6'1" and 185 lbs Matt Floyd who didn't make ESPN's top 50 (or even top 60) quarterbacks in 2011. Floyd can't even execute a quarterback-center exchange right now, and both guys are scatter shot.

Christ, if I were Clint Trickett and I were at the Spring Game the other day I'd have signed my transfer agreement that afternoon.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Great,well thought out, reasoned discussion on why he would want to consider us, how novel.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

I've heard of lots of people leaving West Virginia to come to Florida, but I don't know too many people who have left the Sunshine State for West Virginia.  It gets pretty cold up there wintertime, and I don't think there are very many beaches up there either. 

USF would be a good landing spot for Clint...excellent academics, fun in the sun, a head football coach who understands the QB position and who can help Clint be his best.

To me you've got to go where the commitment is. Willie T has been onto Trickett since he was coming out of high school. He and Jim Harbaugh offered Clint at Stanford. This isn't just some team that finds itself suddenly needing a quarterback and sifting through the garbage can for uneaten scraps. This is a coach that believes in this quarterback, that you know isn't full of sh-t because he showed he believed in you long ago. It also happens to be a team that's been debacled (to use an Emmitt Smith term) at the quarterback position, with the whole team ripe to embrace what Trickett offers which is calm experience, pedigree and knowhow.

It goes without saying now that he's transferring that whatever team offers him is going to have an immediate need. But immediate needs can change, and with the Bulls he can feel confident that immediate need is not the only reason this head coach is onto him.

I'm not in any way one of those guys that believes every recruit should come to USF or that USF is some superior school in a superior state with superior weather blah blah blah. I very plainly said that UCLA was the right call for Asiantii Woulard. But in this case with Clint Trickett, transferring to USF is close to a no-brainer. Not quite a full no-brainer, with so many bigger programs in better conferences offering him, but it's close to one.